Sensational Spider-Man, The
Taking just the necessary footage from the second movie, and making the necessary cuts, to give this Spider-Man story, not only a perfect closure, but to modify it in a way so it approximates the spirit and characters from the comics. Cuts and deleted scenes were included in this Fan Edit that help character development and fills some plot holes.
But after a year, I came up with a better Idea. Now that the Amazing Spider-Man "saga" has been cancelled, I thought of making the first Amazing Spider-Man a stand alone movie, instead of needing a sequel. For this, I wanted to stick to the comic source as much as possible. I believe The Amazing Spider-Man is actually a good movie, but I didn't like the origin story because they wanted to give it another direction that I felt was not succesfully concluded. So, my real intention in this Fan Edit is to bring the origin story as close to the comics and have modified some stuff in the movie to make Peter not so douchey at times. You could think it is not much, but some scenes do change your perspective of the character. The parent's story will have a perfect closure and I will introduce Harry Osborn to make this part of the story go forward, but I wanted to introduce him with little participation, but still with some development.
The movie will be modified in a way it can be self concluded and does not need a sequel, as I say, and modify some stuff from Peter in the movie that made me think "The real Peter Parker (Spidey) would not do that".
-Main Title - Young Peter
-Hunting for Information
-Lizard At School
-Promises - Spider-Man End Titles
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 by Hans Zimmer:
-You're that Spider Guy
-The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Ring tone
The Amazing Spider-Man - Spider-Man Exclusive (The Amazing Spider-Man viral campaign).
Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Web Thwip sound effect
Different sound effects.
- The movie opens with Richard Parker destroying the Spiders and the files. The music was changed with the original The Amazing Spider-Man opening theme and the sound effects replaced for this.
- After this, we go to the scene where Peter is playing hide and seek and discovers his father's office been destroyed. Richard and Mary leave Peter with Uncle Ben and Aunt May and take a plane.
- The fight in the plane scene was included but trimmed to not make it as long as it should be.
- After the plane scene, we go back to Peter. 10 years laters, he's in High School.
- After Peter meets Gwen for the first time, we go to a scene where Harry Osborn is coming back home after a long time.
- Peter searches a little bit for "Roosevelt", but without success before making his information quest about his father, Connors and OSCORP.
- No Rodrigo Guevara scene. Peter gets in the Interns tour by himself without problems.
- Footage of Chris Cooper Hologram as Norman Osborn used to replace the shot where we see the silhouete of a shadowy Norman from the first movie.
- After Dr. Ratha drops his files accidentally, Norman will say by radio he is dumb (because of his clumsiness)
- Peter gets Bitten by the Spider in the Spider room. He never gets a badge and he never gives it to Gwen.
- After Peter talks to Dr. Connors about the Cross Species experiment, we get a transition that leads us to Peter visiting Harry Osborn at his house. The scene was cut a little bit to not have continuity problems. I cut the part where Peter says Gwen works for Harry at OSCORP.
- The scene with Peter talking to Gwen (we could... or you know, we could...) was trimmed a little bit to not make it so cheesy. I think it will still look cute.
- Peter's ringtone has been replaced with the ringtone used in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
- Alternate Uncle Ben's Death: After Peter lets the thief run away, he hides and drinks his milk. He has 5 missed calls from Uncle Ben in his cell phone that he decided to ignore. Then, Uncle Ben gets shot and Peter goes to see what happened.
- Deleted Scene: Connors goes to Peter's house to give him his condolences. This scene is important for what I want to accomplish with Peter as character.
- Peter NEVER searches for Uncle Ben's Killer in this Fan Edit.
- Cut the shot where Peter lets hanged that thug in the building. I think it made seem Peter like a douchebag. Remember: This Peter Parker will be as close as we can get to the Peter Parker we all know.
- Peter hears in his head Uncle Ben's and Connors' Words: "If you could do good things for other people you have the moral obligation to do those things" and "Build your own cathedrals". This will serve as the character's motivation to become a super hero. To use his powers for good.
- Cut all the shots where Peter checks for thieves wrists because, as i said, he never searches for Uncle Ben's Killer. Now it will seem like he is beginning to become a Hero, attacking and stopping the bad guys.
- Replaced all web sound effects with Raimi's Trilogy web sound effects.
- Added the full POV sequence seen in the trailers, but chopped in the final movie.
- Peter does not say to Aunt May "please, please, please go to sleep". I think it's kind of douchey. I know he is a Teenager, but he doesn't have to be an ass with his Aunt :c . The Peter I know wouldn't do that.
- After Dr. Ratha Fires Connors, we hear Norman by radio saying to him he didn't think Ratha would handle the situation like that.
- After Connors tests the formula, we go to a scene where Harry talks to Norman. He is very sick. Harry doesn't have the retroviral hyperplasia in this version. He inherits Norman's files.
- Cut the Doorman scene that I used on Organic Eggs Edition and the scene where Peter goes to Gwen's apartment by her window.
- Cut the segment where Captain Stacy says Spidey is not a hero because he is seeking to fullfil a personal Vendetta. Again, Uncle Ben's killer is not the subject in this story.
- Cut the part where Peter says "I've been bitten". The scene was kind of trimmed to not make it so cheesy.
- Norman messes with Ratha by radio while he is on the traffic jam, on the Bridge.
- The Next morning, after the bridge scene, Harry calls Peter and he tells him he needs to see him at OSCORP.
- We get introduced the Daily Bugle as a News TV program. I used footage from the viral campaign to accomplish this.
- Peter doesn't show Gwen the Spider.
- After talking to Gwen on the Football field, Peter goes to OSCORP and Harry shows him Norman's files, we discover Peter has been watched all the time. Peter leaves Harry's office in silence and takes the elevator to go to see Dr. Connors.
- I discarded one deleted scene: Connors seeing his son. It's an interesting scene and it helps grow Connors' character, but his son was not introduced to us until this scene and it would be kind of weird.
- Peter watches for Connors to see what he is doing. He never goes to see Captain Stacy to talk about the Lizard.
- Replaced the Shot of "Reward for Lizard Photos" with "Reward for Spider-Man Photos" used in the first Spider-Man directed by Sam Raimi. We saw Daily Bugle and it was introduced. Now, it's a good time to use Peter's abilities as photographer.
- Cut the scene where Captain Stacy talks to Gwen about Cocoa and Gwen having Cramps.
- Gwen cleaning Peter's wounds has been trimmed a little bit.
- Deleted Scene: Dr. Ratha goes to Connors' Office to see what is he working on. We hear Norman saying by radio "We will burn for this...we will both of us burn". After Ratha realizes Connors' intentions, Norman says "have to do something, about that, won't we?"
- Deleted Scene: We see how Connors begins to enjoy his power as Lizard, believing he is faster, stronger and better than Peter. Important scene to form a better character.
- After this, we see Peter talking to Aunt May and she reveals what happened to Richard. It was cut a little bit to take out that stupid over the top dramatic scene where Aunt May goes nuts and gets the empty nest syndrome or something like that.
- After Aunt May and Peter end talking, we see Connors Transforming again to attack Peter. I used the scene from the original movie, but replaced the music and took out the inner voice because this version of Dr. Connors is not hearing voices in his head as Green Goblin, or Dr. Octopus or Venom. It would seem like they are repeating the same story again.
- Deleted Scene: Girls in the Bathroom talking about boyfriends and then the Lizard comes out of the toilet. Cut the part where Connors does that disgusting thing with his tongue with the girls. The Girls scream after this.
- Deleted Scene: Peter Finds Connors transformed into human. He asks for Help.
- Deleted Scene: We then go to Connors' lair, where he talks to Peter about his plans for the world. Important scene because it helps to build Connors' character and we see what happened to Dr. Ratha. It's also an alternate scene where Peter finds Connors' computer and he discovers his real plan (the deleted scene is so much better).
- Peter gets weak because of Dr. Ratha's serum and he escpaes Lizard's lair while talking to Gwen by phone to tell her to create an antidote.
- Cut a little bit the crane scene to not make it that stupid. The cranes happened to be just right there and nothing more. We don't see workers trying to put the cranes in line to "help Spider-Man". Spidey only gets help from the boy at the bridge's father, who uses his crane to help him not to fall after Spidey tries to swing.
- We see Connors being put behind bars after Peter goes to his house.
- Deleted Scene: We see Peter cooking with Aunt May. This scene is important because we see how Peter becomes more responsible. Then, Gwen arrives.
- After breaking up with Gwen, Peter discovers the mystery around Roosevelt and he goes to the subway station to see his Father's final video.
- Norman Osborn Dies and Harry inherits OSCORP. It's implied that things are gonna be better with him as the head of the company.
- During Uncle Ben's Final Speech to Peter, we see Peter and Aunt May visiting Uncle Ben's grave. I used footage from The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 2. This way we will see how important and significant is Ben in Peter's life.
- Peter doesn't become Flash's friend.
- Peter respects Captain Stacy's wish of leaving Gwen out of Peter's life to not harm her.
- Film closes differently: It's a surprise ;D
- Middle Credit Scene changed: It's a surprise ;D.
- After Credit Scene: It's a surprise ;D.
I'm now convinced Sam is one of this site's very best fan-editors. I've loved his work on the first two Avengers films and I also loved his work on Man of Steel (that review will be posted soon, let me assure you), so it's no shock that I would love his work on this. The way the narrative of the first Amazing Spider-Man film is combined with the incorporation of much-necessary cut-out key scenes as well as footage of the Osborns from The Amazing Spider-Man 2, as way of interconnecting both films' plots to create one large standalone story, is fantastically thought out and executed and it makes the overall story that much more complex and thought-provoking, along with the characters. Excellent work.
The Amazing Spider Man franchise was always something that I had a lot of hope for, it had everything in check to be great, but for whatever reason it ended up being such a huge mess (in my opinion). Beside that I enjoyed it, I think it was because of the actor that plays Peter, I enjoyed his performance and the relationship he had with Gwen a lot. Samspider3's edit is excellent in it's story and universe establishment, I believe that the fact that he used Harry Osborne as a "Lex Luthor" menace in the background was great, the setup of using just one bad guy was excellent, not always more is better, sometimes less is great, this is the case for it. The use of some footage to establish Peter's parents and the whole plot from both movies interconnected gave it closure and was really good, the only thing I didn't like was that he played down the romance of Peter and Gwen that for me was the thing I liked the most of this franchise, but beside that, everything is really good about this edit, I enjoyed it a lot, congratulations, great job.
I watched the individual fan edits, the Organic Eggs and Sparkles versions, before viewing this one, and I enjoyed both, even though I still considered the original Amazing Spider-Man films to be less than amazing- especially the second, which I thought was a real mess. However, I really enjoyed this version, which uses most of the first film and a few parts of the second to make one large standalone story, and does so really well.
Peter is made a far more likable character in this version. He never goes after Uncle Ben's killer, which I thought was a real problem in the first film. I never really got behind a main character who I watch for about twenty minutes on just his personal vendetta.
Dr. Ratha is completely changed. Throughout the film, you hear him being harassed by Norman Osborn through a radio, and it's kind of funny, but creepy at the same time. But at least all of his scenes have more depth than just him being a moron.
Harry Osborn is much more likable in this version, mostly because this version uses the first half of his story in this one, which was the part I originally liked, and even Chris Cooper as Norman is better done.
Dr. Connors is a much stronger villain- most of his deleted scenes are restored, and his character is much more three-dimensional.
Most of the third act remains unchained, and that was always my least favorite part of the original movie; however, it feels a lot more satisfying here, because there was a lot more buildup, and Spider-Man has a more credible foe to against.
Not completely free of flaws though. The last part does go on for a while, and it is a little strange to see Peter discover everything only after he beats the Lizard and breaks up with Gwen and all that. But I suppose that's a better option than just not discovering it at all or needing to make a sequel.
The runtime is a little long, but the story is more dense, and learning about all the parts that happen offscreen is more interesting here, so that's another plus. Most of the story issues I have are things that just hold over from the original, but I think this version does the best it can.
Overall, if you kind of liked the original films but still think they did have a lot of problems, you'll probably enjoy this version. Definitely recommend it!
Being a life-long Spiderman fan, i really anticipated this fanedit - the first "Amazing" film was always deemed a better one, and taking bits and pieces from the second one to enhance the weaker points in the first half of this series was a genius idea.
Almost all of the first film's main problems are fixed in this edit:
-The Parents Storyline gets resolved in the first one.
-Uncle Ben's Killer, which went nowhere in the original cut - never adressed.
-The lack of a supporting cast beyond Gwen and Aunt May - Harry's in this one, and you can sorta count Flash with this being a one-film affair.
-Dr. Connors' villainy is better-built, and so is the third act - it makes so much more narrative sense.
-Dr. Ratha's antics are completely turned on their hands.
Just to make clear how this movie managed to turn things around, even The RHINO was better in this cut (i guess it's more watchable when it's not right after the tragic death of a love interest, which made it borderline comical in the original film).
I did kinda like the inclusion of Norman Osborn's voiceover in the film, even if it didn't make all that sense - it helped build him up as a spectre of sorts, seeing everything from above. It also shifted Ratha from just an asshole businessman to more of a reluctant servant, constantly harassed by his boss.
This movie wasn't free of qualms though - some of the audio transitions between scenes of different origins were harsh and noticeable, which is a minor problem but still kinda takes you out of the experience.
The Harry story was interweaved pretty well into the first one, especially the part in Oscorp Tower, but i feel like he could have contributed more to the plot. On the one hand, he did build up the Parents storyline better, but on the other hand it was kinda non-sequitor right when the Lizard plotline got into motion. He could've shown Peter Connors' recordings or something.
Also maybe the Harry and Peter hang out scene could have been better placed instead of the skateboard-riding scene, instead of just having them both - Peter even references something going on with Gwen (before they really talk seriously), and the skateboard scene in my opinion never really went anywhere.
All in all though, this film was a great ride, it both gave this series a (much needed) conclusion, and realized a lot of the untapped potential in this series by freeing the first one of it's flaws. I'd recommend it both for fans of the Amazing series, and for people who were sorely disappointed by it (like me).
So I sat and watched this at the weekend, I'd previously seen Sam's 'Organic eggs' edit of the first film and I rather enjoyed that. I'm not a huge fan of Amazing Spider-man 2 so it's minimalist approach in this edit seemed like exactly what i was looking for.
On a technical level this is better than the Organic eggs, the deleted scenes stick out far less, I think he learned how to better incorporate them, and one which I believe was incomplete previously was used here, but with a flashback montage to hide the use of the unfinished effects... brilliance!
Narrative was a bit here and there, I thought the Harry scenes were well done, even though Peter's Short back & Sides made it slightly jarring, i was along for the ride, I have to agree with the other review about Norman's voice being out of place, it doesn't seem like he's really talking to the guy because the guy doesn't really respond, I can see what sam was going for but it would have been hard for anyone to pull off.
I loved that he included Norman in the hologram at oscorp. That was great. I'd have probably liked to have seen Gwen's death & showdown with Peter pan...goblin. Gwen's death was the only part of ASM2 I kinda liked (apart from the spidey banter, he hit his sarcasm stride much better in 2.)
It's a solid effort and well worth a look if you want something a little different from the theatricals.