I. Own the Source
Fanedit.org respects copyright holders. Regardless of if you just want to watch a fanedit or become a faneditor yourself, you must own the source. There are zero exceptions to this rule. If we find out you are using pirated material you will be banned and, if you’re an editor, the fanedit will be removed from IFDB. Acceptable sources include but are not limited to DVD, Blu-ray, or Digital Download.
Titles exclusive to subscription based services (Netflix, Disney+, etc.) are not acceptable. Streaming services DO NOT qualify as owning the source, as you are paying for a streaming service and not the title itself.
II. Posting in the forums
The foundations of any forum are quality threads. Please be sure to follow these rules when posting in the forum. (Note: Some forums has their own specific rules. Be on the lookout for them. They are pinned at the top of their forum list.)
- Starting new threads. Titles should be descriptive, concise, and relevant to the topic being discussed. Before starting a new thread, use the search function to see if the topic already exists or your question has already been answered; use an existing thread if it is relevant.
- We do not tolerate bad behavior. This is a pleasant community. Let’s keep it that way. There is no room for hatred or bigotry on Fanedit.org. Posts which are offensive or derogatory to any ethnic or other group is the surest way to get yourself banned. Additionally, we do not permit nudity, whether posted images or direct linking. This is a PG-13 forum. You can easily find pr0n elsewhere on the interwebs.
- Posts should be constructive. Posts consisting of nothing but “That sounds great!” or “I am looking forward to this” or the likes should be kept to a minimum. If you post non-productive content continuously you will be warned, or banned in repeat cases.
- Multiple accounts or deceptive posting is forbidden. Multiple accounts, either because of forgotten login information or intentional usage of a sock account is forbidden. We regularly scan IP addresses and remove duplicate accounts. If we find that you are using a fake account to deceive forum members about edit feedback or ratings, you may receive an infraction or be banned.
- Reporting Posts. If you see a post or series of posts that you feel violates any of the rules listed here, please select “report this post” under the actual post(s) in question. Please do not act as a Moderator or Administrator if you are not one. Do not interpret rules for others—just report suspected violations.
- Voting in Polls. Every month we allow users to vote on their Favorite Edit of the Month (FEOTM). Polls are open to all active community users. If you’re not able to vote it means you have not yet met the criteria to be an active user. Active users are defined as having been registered for 30 days and have made at least 5 posts. Faneditors are NOT allowed to vote for their own edit, and faneditors are NOT allowed to solicit votes from users via Conversation, email, alternative message boards, etc., as neither are in the spirit of the FEOTM. If an editor votes for their own fanedit, it will be disqualified.
III. Hosting/Downloading Fanedits
This is covered in our FAQ.
IV. Rating Fanedits
All ratings/reviews on The Internet Fanedit Database (IFDb) are moderated to ensure quality control. Faneditors are not allowed to rate their own fanedits, however they may comment on reviews if they feel the need to. Ratings need to be fair and include a comment explaining how a score was ascertained. Lengthy or detailed reviews are typically not a requirement but are highly encouraged. Detailed reviews are required when giving a low rating (see below). When rating, please consider ALL of the following criteria:
- Technical quality: Were the image and sound quality up to par?
- Editing quality: Did you notice any jarring video or audio cuts? Did the fanedit flow well?
- Narrative: How well did the editor achieve their goals? Were there plot-holes created (or resolved?) Does it work?
- Enjoyment: Were you entertained by the fanedit?
Any rating of 5 stars or lower requires a clear and detailed explanation of the reasoning for such a low score because ratings this low suggest the quality may be insufficient for our community. Ratings below 5 stars and lacking a sufficient comment will be rejected. Be fair when rating and reviewing edits. Don’t abuse the ratings system to get back at someone who rated your fanedit or your friend’s fanedit lower than you expected.
Do not use the review feature to request download links or where to find fanedits.
V. Submitting a Fanedit
Fanedit.org provides a listing of known fanedits on the Internet Fanedit Database (IFDb) which meet specific quality standards. The site does NOT host, provide, or allow the posting of direct links for downloading fanedits. Site approved Faneditors may submit details of completed fanedits for listing in our database. Fanedit Submissions need to give details more than just “I cut 5 minutes from teh moovie”. Writing a cutlist is not a requirement, but it improves audience interest. Proofread your text prior to submitting, and include cover art (required) with submissions.
To be listed on IFDb, all fanedits must use legally available sources and must not be created from pirated material or clips never intentionally released by the copyright owners. If this is at all confusing, or you have concerns about the sources of a fanedit, do NOT inquire on forum threads. Please contact an Administrator or Moderator.
An editor must obtain their editing copy on their own. If you purchase the Blu-Ray/DVD you must rip it yourself and not enlist the help of others. If you purchase a digital copy you must convert it on your own.
If an editor is found to be using an illegally obtained source, the faneditor will be banned for one month. If an editor is found to use illegally obtained sources after the first ban, they will be permanently banned. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Fanedits made of a newly released film (eg. “The Last Jedi”) will not be accepted until 15 days after the physical media version is released. As an example: “The Last Jedi” was released on physical media March 27, so no fanedit of “The Last Jedi” will be accepted before April 12. This is for two reasons: it ensures people aren’t rushing to release their edit and creating mediocre fanedits, and it gives us some peace of mind that people will continue to adhere to our own the source rule. In other words, edits must remain in Ideas or In-the-Works forums for at least 15 days after the physical release before being submitted to the academy/IFDB.
The staff can choose to list edits by editors who are not forum members and/or have dropped off the grid so-to-speak. There are a lot of great edits out there, and Fanedit.org seeks to ensure that as many people as possible learn about them! The staff also reserves the right to refuse listing of any edit for any reason.
Do not post your work-in-progress in any other forum besides In-The-Works or Ideas. If you post it in any other forum it will result in it being moved or deleted at the discretion of the admin/mod.
Note: We reserve the right to ask for proof of purchase by way of a redacted receipt (personal information blacked out) if we feel a faneditor is not complying with the Own the Source rule.
VI. Profiting from Fanedits
You are not allowed to profit from fanediting. This includes but is not limited to selling physical copies, digital copies, or running a Patreon/GoFundMe/etc. page to support a hobby. If we find out a member is profiting in any way they will be banned, and if you are the faneditor the edit it will either be removed or rejected from IFDB (depending on faneditor status). The only monetary exchange allowed is to cover shipping and media cost. If anyone is charging anything more than what seems reasonable then it is.
VII. Final Thought
Please do not debate our rules publicly, especially our Own the Source rule. If you have an issue with our rules please send a private message to a staff member. If you choose not to follow our rules, any direct ruling, or direction from an administrator or moderator, you may be temporarily banned.