X-Men: Dark Phoenix - The Cosmic Cut
All deleted and extended scenes, plus an alternate ending have been masterfully reintegrated into the movie. adding 5 new scenes and 4 more minutes of footage.
- Xperiments From Dark Phoenix and Dark Phoenix (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
- Unused Deleted Scenes and Alternate Ending
- Director Simon Kinberg and Producer Butch Parker Commentary on Deleted Scenes
- Before and After Colour Correction on Deleted Scenes
- Added Prof X coming home from the fancy dinner and seeing the aftermath of Jean's episode
- Added Cyclops telling the team what the Jean mission is, and Mystique and Beast talking about it potentially going sideways
- Added Prof X and Cyclops seeing the X-Jet hanger empty after Beast takes off for Genosha
- Added Prof X talking to Mystique's grave about what he had done wrong before he leaves the school
As a big fan of the X-Men First Class series I thoroughly enjoyed this edit. With so little extra footage to work with, it should noted that this edit only adds a little, but it goes a long way to enhance engagement with the characters' emotional arcs and to improve the break-neck pace of the theatrical edition. The Theatrical cut I feel lost a lot of its punch by rarely allowing the characters to grapple with or react to the things going on. The ending of this film remains, for me, its weakest point, failing to adequately conclude the series, purely because its so rushed. But the addition of Charles speech at Raven's grave does a lot to round out his character arc and make the film feel like more of a conclusion.
On a technical level a couple of the added scenes were noticeable by visual transitions that felt slightly off. I even think I noticed a frame jump at one point. But generally the new scenes are very well integrated and fit naturally in with the film. The deleted scenes audio is different to the main film however, and the difference meant I had to turn down the volume every time a deleted scene came on.
If, like me, you're a fan of these characters I'd recommend this for its added value. But if you weren't pleased with DP in theaters you'll find little more satisfaction here.
"I'm not as evolved as I thought I was"
With this line and the scene after, Charles Xavier completes what may just be the only other good scene of this movie besides the battle on the train. While Bobson didn't seem to have an issue with the movie, I'm afraid that means, for people that did, he didn't change all that much. Is there a good movie to be had here? We'll have to wait for other edits, but it is at least enhanced by the addition of deleted scenes and alternate endings, including the aforementioned one, which is nicely inserted to just before the theatrical ending. If only Bobson had the time/skills to fully render the shots of the mansion as Charles' car departs the grounds so as to have more of the alternate ending in there, and close it on a more sombre note rather than rely on the tired old chess game routine.
Dark Phoenix is a tough nut to crack, and hardly a pleasure even if enhanced, but if you got something out of it like Bobson did, there's just more here for you to experience and enjoy.