Star Wars: Heir to the ForceFeatured
Watch the story you've come to love in a brand new way with DigModiFicaTion's edit, Heir to the Force. Featuring all new special effects, music, and mystery. Experience the awakening. (Extended reveal of Kylo Ren; Original OT Falcon turret sfx; TFA, EU & John Williams cues to enhance scenes; Holograms; A new ending).
Where other edits have changed the sequences surrounding Starkiller Base (Hal9000) or simply attempted to minimize over the top humor (ironman23), this edit leaves the key sequences in place, is more aggressive in it's edits to remove silliness and extends Kylo Ren's parentage reveal as well as gently addressing the issue of R2-D2 being asleep and Snoke's non-Star Warsy looking hologram. This edit also removes the distraction of Luke from the end of the movie.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Soundtrack
Star Wars: A New Hope Soundtrack
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1&2 Soundtracks
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Trailers
War of the Worlds Soundtrack
Custom Crawl Creator
Soundboard & Game rip sfx (F11D-Blaster, Tie sfx,, Falcon turret, X-Wing sfx, etc.)
Walt Disney and LucasFilms ltd and the fanedit.org and originaltrilogy.com communities.
Most of all to my family, who put up with me through this whole process.
Special thanks to Blake Armstrong of Spaceboy Comics for the use of his Amazing The Force Awakens poster art.
Find more of his work at www.spaceboycomics.com
2. Added New Fanedit.org title card based on current logo
3. Added custom ROTJ style disclaimer
4. Added A DigModiFicaTion Title card
5. Added Custom Walt Disney 20th Century Fox title card with 20th Century Fox fanfare
6. Replaced opening crawl music with opening crawl music from Episode IV
7. Replaced crawl with custom “Heir to the Force” crawl
8. Added stronger blaster noise after Stormtrooper yells “stop that x-wing!” to simulate a stronger barrage.
9. Removed Poe's "so who talks first....." lines
10. Added Force noise as Kylo stares at Poe (borrowed idea from ironman23)
11. Clipped Poe’s line as he is forcefully picked up, now it sounds like he was going to start saying something but the jolt of being hoisted up stops him.
12. Replaced Video when Kylo Ren says "put him on board"; Video is a slightly cropped/zoomed shot where Kylo Ren is standing still vs the movement in the theatrical cut
13. Removed Kylo Ren's "comfortable?" line and Poe's response during Poe's interrogation scene
14. Transition to next scene before Unkar Plott pulls down the window on his other customers
15. Cut Poe and Finn's conversation after Finn says "Because it's the right thing to do"
16. Removed Finn firing on and killing Stormtroopers and the traffic control room
17. Cut Finn and Poe's celebration after blowing up a turret and Scene of tie flying away from Star Destroyer.
18. Cut “Nice to meet you. Nice to meet you Finn.”
19. Cut Kylo Ren saying "FN-2187" (even for a Sith lord, that is unbelievable)
20. Moved "Sir, ventral cannons hot" further up in the audio mix of the scene and cut the Star Trek-esque turret scene down. Now they just fire
21. Cut the tie fighter blowing up after sinking in the sand
22. Added “Approaching Felucia” cue from The Force Unleashed to replace music cue when Finn walks through the desert (original cue used later during catwalk scene)
23. Cut Finn's "this is what we look like, some of us" lines
24. Cut Rey’s “No” when responding to Finn’s “You ever fly this thing?” line
25. Cut Finn and Rey's "I can do this" lines when they first get into the Falcon
26. Removed the Falcon taking a nose dive into the sand upon take off
27. Cut Rey's line "I’m going low"
28. Replaced new Millennium Falcon turret sfx with OT turret sfx in chase scene
29. Replaced audio of Finn cursing after the impact with a grunt (yes I know the originals had cursing, but this is just a personal preference)
30. Cut scenes of scavengers when the first tie fighter is shot down
31. Cut the JJ Abrams zoom when the Falcon flies into the downed Star Destroyer’s engines
32. Cut Finn and Rey's excessive teenage celebration after they make it to space
33. Reworked scene in order to remove Kylo Ren's tantrum when the officer reports on not getting the droid
34. Cut Finn's line "you got a boyfriend?"
35. Added Red Gradient glow to mimic the overhead light and connect the edited scene visually
36. Cut scene of Finn childishly pushing down on Rey's head
37. Cut down the Rathtar scene; Han and Chewie run down a corridor, they turn, Chewie is hit, Han blasts the raiders, Rey and Finn pop up from the hatch, Han shoots the door and yells "come on!"
38. Cut mention of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon from Snoke's dialogue
39. Added hologram effect to Snoke
40. Cut scene of Ren standing up after talking to Vader’s mask in order to use it later in film.
41. Added Darth Vader breathing sfx when his mask is revealed after Ren talks to it.
42. Cut down Chewie grabbing Finn and Finn saying "but that's ok"
43. Added lightsaber sfx and enhanced (echo & reverb) Vader lines “You are not a Jedi yet” and “You don’t know the power of the dark side” along with the Emperor’s laugh to Rey’s force vision
44. Added SWTFUII “Terror on the Salvation” cue to Hux’s speech
45. Changed Hue of Apocolypse now Tie Scene (color matched with sky to make it blue)
46. Cut Han's no look shot and use of Chewbacca's crossbow and subsequent "I like this" line
47. Rearranged the Arrival of the Resistance scenes to remove visuals of Poe. Rebuilt audio surround tracks to fit the changes.
48. Added “Rathtars” cue and “Attack on the Car” cue from War of the Worlds to the scene where Han, Chewie, Finn, and Maz emerge from the castle ruins. The War of the Worlds track plays during Finn’s lightsaber use.
49. Cut the continuous pan of Poe’s X-Wing flying, now cuts to Rey right after Finn blasts the second Stormtrooper.
50. Cut Han's lines about seeing their son; he now says "I saw him, he was here”
51. Cut Poe's references to his jacket when talking to Finn
52. Cut scenes with the nurse and Chewbacca
53. Added R2-D2 visually to the checking the map sequence; also added Artoo beeps and sad sounds; he is now seen, heard, active and present
54. Cut scene where Artoo is uncovered by 3P0 and all dialogue about Artoo being asleep.
55. Edited Han to say "I know everytime you think about Luke you're reminded of him"
56. Cut Leia's lines about their son's training, Snoke, and Han being able to help because he's Ben's father.
57. Cut Kylo Ren's "you’re my guest" line, now he just coldly stares at Rey
58. Rearranged and repurposed shots of helmeted Kylo Ren and composited/combined others in order to have Ren Masked. Shortened scene as well.
59. Edited audio to simulate Ren’s helmeted voice.
60. Added subtle audio of Vader breathing when Rey reveals that Kylo Ren is afraid and the connection is severed
61. Repurposed and replaced shots (cropped and speed) during Snoke conversation as to have Kylo Ren hooded and masked.
62. Added Hologram effect to Snoke
63. Digitally painted hooded and masked Kylo Ren into the far shots when Hux is walking away….ugh….
64. Removed Han’s “so it’s big” line
65. Removed Han's "there's always a way to do that" line after asking how to blow it up. Removed Leia's "Han's right" line
66. Removed Leia's lines about bringing their son home; inserted shot of Han's face when she would have been talking
67. Horizontally flipped the scene where the stormtroopers are looking for Rey and everyone is obviously left handed
68. Cut scene where Han asks Finn what his job was and their verbal altercation; it's a gag to set up a later gag and slows down the movement of the narrative
69. Cut Finn's "you remember me" lines and scene with Phasma; took Han's advice and brought it down ;Wink
70. Cut Rey crawling into the space that soon will squash her; now she just begins to descend down the wall
71. Cut Finn threatening to blow Phasma's bucket off
72. Reinstated the Kylo visits the Falcon deleted scene (cropped out timestamps) and added the “The Bombing Run” cue from the FYC version of the soundtrack.
73. Cut Finn's lines about not being ready and his head nod "what's that" lines
74. Horizontally flipped scene where x-wing crashes into the snow and Han, Fin, Rey, and Chewie run into the frame and stop. (The next scene contradicts the placement of the characters)
75. Added a combination of the cue Finn’s Trek and Finn and Poe Reunited from the FYC Star Wars TFA soundtrack along with the Han and Leia cue to the Catwalk scene
76. Added The Force Unleashed (Infiltrating the Junk Temple) during Finn and Kylo Ren's duel
77. Removed the ground ripping apart separating Rey and Kylo Ren; superimposed same shot of Rey and Kylo Ren when Rey shuts down her light saber looking across ravine at Kylo Ren. Now the two cropped images meet removing the gaping hole.
78. Cut first order officer going AWOL, the scene cuts to Hux and Snoke before the officer speaks
79. Added hologram effect to Snoke
80. Cropped video to exclude Chewbacca from the background when Leia walks towards Rey; we can imply that Chewbacca hugged her or whatever
81. Leia's hug with Rey stays; it's easy to explain, Leia knows how much Han meant to her, “Han told me about the girl” (Rey) and she (Rey) needed that one person who understood to be there for her
82. Used reversed shot to have Artoo awake, his eye is now active throughout the waking scene and the audio implies that he is getting excited as he finds the map information.
83. Cut 3P0’s line “R2-D2 you’ve come back!” when approaching R2; he now says “Come along you two” (taken from the 2016 Oscars speech)
84. Edited 3P0’s lines to say “Artoo may contain some much needed good news” instead of “Artoo D2 may…”
85. Cut 3P0’s line “how I’ve missed you”
86. Cut scenes of Rey arriving on planet to find Luke; I used the force theme from the end of the movie to make the famous iris ending and fanfare occur right as the Millennium Falcon enters hyperspace; also added various sound effects for the Millennium Falcon, crowd, and Chewbacca during takeoff.
(The reason for this particular decision was to mirror the OT in how they end. The OT trilogy ended two ways, a victorious celebration (IV and VI) or an adventurous plan set in motion (V). Showing Luke at the end of the movie is like showing scenes of Han frozen in carbonite in the trunk of Slave I. The scene with Luke doesn't really advance the story and it removes the sense of episodic closure the OT accomplished with each episode. We know that there will be a Star Wars VIII, we know that Luke will be in it, we didn't see Luke the entire movie, why not just wait? He was in the movie to sell the movie. I'm already sold on the movie, so out he goes so that we can focus on Rey, Ren, and Fin.)
87. Revised “edited by” credits to add Fanedited by DigModiFicaTion
88. Added “A DigModiFicaTion” after “A Bad Robot Production”, Added Fanedit.org logo, DigModiFicaTion logo, and special thanks section to credits
I'm finding it harder to care about this film the more I watch it - especially when it gets to the death star briefing ...which is why I only watch it in the advent of new fan edits. I quite liked this one. I thought the dialogue was very nicely trimmed and many scenes were appropriately truncated to their essence - helping Rey and Fin's characters out immeasurably. Han and Leia's scenes together are much more watchable for their brevity and certain action scenes are much less Abrams.
Kylo Ren is a much better character now also, as he is unmasked much later - giving his showdown with Han much more gravitas and avoiding the fact his person is just not intimidating face to face. The voice fx for him work well. It would be nice, however, to have had more dynamic shots available where he is wearing the mask to use in place of his unmasked scenes without so much seeming repetition, but what can a fan editor do with limited footage? A nifty cgi mask and some rotoscoping might work, but that's all a bit of a fantasy at this level.
The addition of traditional saga fx and sounds were very welcome, although I don't like the "calling" of the lightsabre any way. It's all very Harry Potter and juvenile in it's writing but it is well dealt with in this edit thanks to the sound additions. Artoo's presence felt a little awkward, but it would probably feel fine had I not seen the prior version. I just wish they'd made him purposefully deactivated, rather than "sad". Just silly. I still have problems with the Rey and Leia hug and I wouldn't have minded Han's use of Chewie's bowcaster staying in either. But generally a very tight and flowing narrative.
A fine edit.
This is the first fanedit of Force Awakens I've seen and I got to tell you it's a very good one in almost every way.
To me the original Force Awakens was a really good movie but it had its flaws. After Rogue One was released these flaws stood out more as the movie had a "competitor" now, superior almost in every way (IMHO). DigModiFicaTion went far to fix most of the flaws.
Much of the silly humor is gone now. Unfortunately though some bits I actually liked were gone too like "You're cold". Many might disagree with me but I thought it was very funny, although not very Han Solo-ish (if you compare to original movies). Overall the editor did good job cutting the excessive humor.
Finn as a character is now much more likable. He's not that goofy any longer which is a major improvement. In the original version it seemed the actor/character was trying way too hard which bothered me. Poe is better as well, although the editor lowered his ace pilot status in one particular battle which I thought didn't work out that well. IMO he's supposed to be an ace, hero pilot and should get a heroic score (which is gone now as well) when blowing bad guys out of the sky.
Now, the biggest change is the portration of Kylo Ren. Very good job on this one! The original Kylo Ren wasn't badly portraited. To me he was just a different kind of a bad guy but DigModiFicaTion made him more mature and simply a better villain. The tantrum is gone and him removing the mask only in front of Han Solo simply works better.
R2D2 was handled ok. Not much to say about that.
I was afraid the ending wouldn't work as I loved the original island ending, but to my surprisement it worked out well. A very nice ending indeed. I might still like the original more but this was a very good ending as well. The hologram was a nice addition. Now the pirates and the monster... see, I have already forgotten their names because I always skip that part. I think the editor did some adjustments there which is nice but I personally would have find a way to cut the whole scene, it's just THAT bad.
Overall the editor has done first class job. I might disagree on some changes or cut out some extra dialogue or parts but this fanedit pleases me and I like this more than the original movie. The visual and audio editing was top notch work as well. I can only recommend this one to everyone!
(Sorry for a long review.)
Overall, a very strong edit of a film I wanted to love in the theater. I might have named it 'deAbrams cut' because the fluff, the comedy is gone. What remains is a tight narrative that strengthens the 'evil' portion of the story. The delayed Kylo reveal worked for me, your mileage may vary. Tempering some of his childish rage and evening out the fight with Rey also bold and favorable, IMO. As with most fanedits, some loss of context is unavoidable and for those with several watches under their belt. Nothing jarring, but some jumps leave you wondering what, if anything, was lost. Some VERY solid audio changes add a lot of great color and tone to what was previously quite flat. Definitely worth a watch