Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Rekindled
However, for me there are a few scenes I still have trouble watching, scenes that take me out of the movie every time: Leia’s spacewalk, Finn vs. Phasma, BB8 piloting the imperial walker, and Rose’s “rescue” of Finn. These scenes broke my suspension of disbelief and disengaged me from the story. So, with permission, I have used Hal’s edit as a base, and made a few additional changes.
Hal 9000 (Legendary edit, ideas and guidance), DarthRush (FX shot and ideas), big_gareth (FX shot and ideas), Pleasehello (FX shot), Snooker (FX shot), ChainsawAsh (DTS audio advice and overall QC), MalàStrana (English subtitles; poppasketti conformed for Rekindled edit), jarbear (ideas), RogueLeader (ideas), NeverarGreat (ideas), Ivan Ortega (ideas), ziggyonice (qc), revstevens (qc), Natedug, jeebus, HyperDown, liambrazier, krlozdac, DigMod, stretch009, One69chev, Collipso, LordPlagueis, BMadden, Drakul, StrafeSawdoffe, TV’s Frink, HerekittykittyX, DominicCobb, LordRorek, Imadethisfortheanticheeseedit, Zachary VIII, OutboundFlight, TiMartyn, Handman, Dr. Krogshöj, Nightstalkerpoet, EddieDean, DZ-330, Nd4spd, ChiefWamsutta, Valheru_84, TK-422, Possessed, CourtlyHades296, AbramPT, CarterStarkiller, Cheebo, Snoke&mirrors, Sir Ridley, Anjohan, Kaweebo, Oojason, TheLostJedi, Littlev87, Dat_SW_Guy, Toastedzen, Adywan, Tobar, Arosa1091, Chyron8472, TK251, Bop, Gimpy, LeonardoRamos, Octorox, Jrs81, Bromeo, Iryin01, Noodle_Finger (editor behind a prior edit of TLJ).
I also must thank my wife for sitting with me through several viewings, making valuable suggestions (how to fix “Space Leia” to name one example), and being patient with me throughout!
- English subtitles
- Trimmed Paige kicking the ladder slightly (Hal 9000)
- Very slightly trimmed Paige’s grabbing the detonator
- Tweaked music during Luke's saber toss so it's not a joke (https://vimeo.com/284554005 password: fanedit)
- Reinstated the ‘Luke Has a Moment’ deleted scene (Hal 9000)
- Reinstated the deleted scene where Poe gives Finn back his jacket (Hal 9000, with scene transition provided by OT.com user pleasehello)
- Cut Luke drinking milk (just that shot, not the scene)
- Removed both appearances from the ‘Caretakers’ on Ach-to (Hal 9000, with a visual effects shot courtesy of OT.com user snooker)
- Trimmed away the lone porg who gives Chewie the doughy eyes, though leaving the joke intact otherwise (Hal 9000)
- Removed Luke’s line to R2, “Nothing can make me change my mind.” (Hal 9000)
- Removed Leia's spacewalk (some music and edits inspired by Ivan Ortega’s version) FX shot: transition from bridge explosion to exterior. (https://vimeo.com/282243317 password: fanedit)
- Cut Maz's line about having a physical relationship with the codebreaker
- Cut down the first sequence at Canto Bight to focus solely on finding the master codebreaker (also removing sounds of coins rattling around inside BB8 in two shots) (Hal 9000)
- Blended the original Anakin lightsaber ignition sound with the existing different sounds for two shots (Hal 9000)
- Made it appear as though Finn and Rose follow DJ out of the cell, briefly elude the guards, and the scene ends. Next time we see the trio, they are already in hyperspace (also removing the implication in the later scene that BB8 helped steal the ship). (Hal 9000)
- Added a center wipe transition from the scene with Finn, Rose, and DJ in hyperspace to the fleet losing their medical frigate (Hal 9000)
- Used a few shots from a deleted scene to remove the iron/spaceship gag, which borrowed from an old spoof which laughed at Star Wars rather than along with Star Wars (Hal 9000)
- Trimmed some of the comedy with BB8 being placed under a basket (Hal 9000)
- Trimmed the heavy, direct hinting before Snoke’s death, using musical score from TFA
- Removed Finn fighting Phasma and BB-8 in imperial walker. FX shots: rotoscoped BB-8 into two shots (closeup and wide) Finn and Rose escaping hanger (https://vimeo.com/283242749 password: fanedit)
- Reinstated Finn/Rose deleted scene in shuttle
- Moved the scene with Luke and Yoda to immediately prior to Leia looking out over Crait (Hal 9000, using audio and video provided by OT.com user Darthrush)
- Removed Finn’s line about the battering ram canon being “old Death Star tech.” (Hal 9000)
- Removed Rose's suicidal "rescue" of Finn and their dialogue after (based on darthrush’s The Dark Cut). Now, Rose gets shot down, and then Finn does. FX shots: two shots of Rose getting shot down (one provided by OT.com user big_gareth), removed Kylo-Ren’s shuttle from shot of AT-AT firing, added sparks and lighting from explosion inside Finn’s cockpit, removed 2nd skimmer from two shots of crash, rotoscoped Finn and Rose out of cannon firing, added reaction shot with explosion light on Kylo-Ren’s face (https://vimeo.com/289775362 password: fanedit)
- The crate Luke sits on as he talks with Leia is now stationary and motionless, unaffected by him
- Trimmed Hux ordering fighters to follow the Falcon, leaving this poor tactical move to be attributed to Kylo Ren’s emotional priorities (Hal 9000)
- Removed Finn’s line, “Oh, they hate that ship!” (Hal 9000)
- Removed spot on the sun as Luke gazes out after collapsing, which caused some presumably inadvertent misdirection for some upon first viewing
- Added deleted scenes do the movie good.
- No Leia Poppins!
- Great fight scenes are as good as ever.
- Canto Bight is cut short. No "horses". No kids. Just in and out.
- Some altered/cut scenes don't work quite as well as the editor would have wanted.
- The Canto Bight "side plot" is still a part of this movie.
- Luke is left as in the original TLJ. A coward. Regressing from his ROTJ self.
- Holdo... Rose... the new characters altogether. Ugh!
Without taking anything away from the editor, The Last Jedi is a bad Star Wars movie. It almost can't be saved, or at minimum, be made better. This editor did really good. He made TLJ viewable. That doesn't mean it's a major improvement, but it's a start. The movie still plays out like the original does. The First Order finds The Resistance, chases them across the galaxy to a remote planet and wipes all of them out but one ship. The casino is still a part of this movie, no matter how much I dislike it. Luke still acts like a coward, Snoke is still a let down, and last but not least, this movie ruined my faith in Disney's Star Wars. In my eyes, this movie is about as good/slightly better than Episode 1... but unlike episode 1, a fan edit seemingly can't save it for me. If anything, I think "The Fallen Knight" might be the best version of this movie. Even if that version cuts it down like Anakin did those younglings. Unless Rise of Skywalker makes the side plot from this movie pay off, there is no reason to ever see it again. All you would need is Rey's story. And the mentioned TFK version provides just that. The choice is yours!
Rekindled deserves more reviews (praise), because it is currently the definitive TLJ fanedit.
Poppasketti's edit actually restored some of my faith in Rian Johnson as a director. A good faneditor should have a degree of respect for the source material he’s working with, and that's what we see here. Rather than fight against the director's vision, he brings added clarity to it.
I became interested in fanedits after learning about the work that had been done by various faneditors on the prequel trilogy, such as L8wrtr, Q2, Hal9000, seciors, and now Octorox. It has taken many years, but I believe we finally have a trilogy of good, at times great, films. In many ways I believe it has been a collaborative effort, That said, I didn’t think the sequel trilogy was as capable of being redeemed by a good edit, but poppasketti has shown that The Last Jedi is actually quite a good film when you apply a lot of polish.
I watched the edit twice, once by myself and once with my wife, who is a casual Star Wars fan. We both liked the Poe/Hux call exactly as poppasketti has done it. Star Wars should not be completely devoid of humor after all. On the other hand, cutting out Leia Poppins, Canto Bight, the showdown with Phasma, and the Rose Tico kiss, etc., is exactly what this film needed.
Humor has always been an essential part of Star Wars, and I think it’s fine as long as it’s not in excess. Rather, I think the far bigger problem the The Last Jedi has is the level of cynicism that Rian Johnson brought to it. Holdo is especially problematic. The movie tries to set up a character arc for Poe where he needs to learn...what? To blindly submit to authority? However, we can't ignore the fact that it was actually Holdo’s poor leadership that caused things to unravel in the first place. Poe is an established character from the previous film that is both charismatic and likeable. Holdo, on the other hand, comes out of nowhere to cut him down to size, because he's a man, I guess. I find the story involving Poe, Holdo, Finn, and Rose deeply unsatisfying. The message is confusing and heavy-handed. There is still more work to be done here.
I believe the faneditor who fixes Holdo will have fixed this entire movie. Portraying her as being as misguided in her actions as the others might be a workable fix, i.e., show how truly lost and desperate everyone--including Holdo--is without Leia (and Luke). Failure and disappointment are indeed core themes that Johnson wanted to include in this film, so why spare Holdo from that? (Her act of self-sacrifice could serve as a sort of redemption for her as well.) That way, the situation appears even more dire before Luke shows up to buy them some much needed time. As it stands, Holdo's positive portrayal seems very agenda driven to me, i.e., the wise purple-haired feminist who saves the day. Conversely, taking away some of her luster might serve to cast Poe in a better light--a character we actually care about.
I think this is a great fanedit overall. Nevertheless, I think keeping broomboy is problematic for a number of reasons. Why didn’t Rey (who is apparently the most powerful Jedi of all time without putting in any effort) realize she was force sensitive until she was an adult, yet broomboy just somehow happens to know? Like all the Canto Bight scenes in general, Broomboy just comes across as a little too...Disney.
Truthfully, I don’t think we’ll get the definitive TLJ edit until after Rise of Skywalker releases (poppasketti believes Broomboy may factor into TRoS, which is partly why he kept him in). Until then, this edit of TLJ is canon for me, so thanks to poppasketti. I know film/fan editing is arduous work.
When the Last Jedi came out it pretty much killed my love for Star Wars. Poppasketti's fanedit Rekindled did just that, it rekindled my love and passion for this franchise. Who knew changing a few things could do that? He made filet mignon out of cat food.
I absolutely loved how he handled the Finn and Rose side-quest and battle on Crait. What about Leia's space adventure? It never happened! The lightsabre toss is still there but it seemed more serious this time around due to a musical change.
As much as I enjoyed this, there were still a few changes I would like to see if a second version comes out.
1. Poe's line of not recongizing Holden. She's second in charge and has a reputation. How does he not know what she looks like? That would be like a soldier in the army not knowing who the Vice President was.
2. I would remove the entire Yoda scene. He destroys thousand years old texts and then makes a mockery of the entire belief system. It feels too much like a dig at Star Wars fans and religion.
3. In Luke and Leia's scene he tells her he can't save Ben. She says she knows her son is gone. Then he says no one is ever truly gone. Cut that line and go straight to him holding her hand. He contradicts himself.
4. At the end Leia says today the rebellion is reborn but Luke said the exact same thing like 2 minutes earlier. I would leave Luke's talk with Kylo but cut Leia's line.
5. The ghost dice really bother me. I would either have them not disappear or not be shown at all.
That's my wish list of changes but this version really is great. I highly recommend it and look forward to any future edits he makes of this or other movies.
First of all, I want to say that I have not watched many TLJ fan edits. However, I have watched this one, and the notorious Ivan Ortega Fan Fix. So this review is from two perspectives; compared to the Ortega edit, and the original film.
I watched the Rekindled earlier this week. Wow, I actually really enjoyed the movie. Albeit, the plot is still a low speed space chase, and no amount of editing could change that. This edit really did feel more like a Star Wars movie. I was way more engaged, not constantly being removed from the film from a terrible joke, or awkward scene. All in all, just so much better.
I had read some of the fixes prior to watching and loved what I read, but was concerned how a few scenes would play out.
saber toss- the change in music, while keeping the saber toss actually, surprisingly worked well. I was shocked how it gave the saber toss weight, it served as a visual cue to us viewers that Luke has changed his perspective on the Jedi, and keeping us in that moment. Instead of laughing at an antic, we are now in the same boat as Rey, saying, wait.... why did he throw his light saber, what is going on.
Leia Spacewalk - this worked well. In the notes it said inspired by Ivan Ortega version. However, I feel this version on rekindled, is much better than Ivan's.
Speaking of Ivan Ortega... lets just say that Mr. Ortega has not been very well received by the OriginalTrilogy.com community, and some of that may be justified. His edit just released, and I viewed it as soon as possible. While some of his ideas for story telling were good, honestly i would rate A/V quality, Visual & Audio Editing at 3/10. For me, there is no need to watch that edit, when something like Rekindled is available. However, he did add a lot of original material: Voice acting, and additional scenes, but since they are not PERFECT, they really stick out to me and took me out of the movie a bit too much.
Back to Poppasketti, dude, great job. This is definitely my definitive version of the film. Very hard to tell you are watching a fan edit (which is top priority for me) and it improved the original so much! Thank you!
Congratulation Poppasketti, this is the best edit of Star Wars 8 !
The film is now watchable and almost pretty good (despite the little weakness in the story), nothing makes me out of the film, really you did an amazing job ! All the silly humor is gone, luke is now not a depressed old man but a jedi who lost faith. The death of Snoke is perfect, the casino is just as long as needed, the mama joke is not embarassing, no more BB8 in the walker,...
Here is some suggestions for the v2 to be perfect :
maybe you can inspire of the edit (anti cringe cut) to avoid luke tossing the saber. In this edit, luke is giving back the saber to rey (they reverse the video).
In the anticringe cut also, the flashback between luke and kylo ren is better : luke is not trying to kill kylo (it's too much in contradiction with the character of luke) but just stand near him and is attacked by kylo in response. Maybe you should add this part in your V2
I suggest you also to remove the ending with the kids which is WTF, and end the movie in the millenium falcon with all the characters.
Otherwise, everything is good and i'm starting to enjoy the film !
Well done !