Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Anti-Cringe-CutFeatured Hot
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Documentary of Skellige Island
- OST for Episode VII and Episode VIII
- Custom Crawl Tutorial by DigModiFicaTion
- Rian Johnson for kick-starting this whole thing
- My wife for all the lonely nights she spent in bed while her husband was glued to the computer screen doing "his Star Wars stuff"
- The blonde rebel girl in the beginning saying "Oh no" as she sees the Star Destroyers popping up
- The silly face General Hux makes while looking at his officer when Poe approaches them in attack mode
- Poe phone pranking General Hux
- The silly face General Hux makes while looking at Poe taking out the Dreadnought service cannons
- BB8's Whack-A-Mole joke and bashing his head into the control board to repair Poe's ship cannons
- General Hux being thrown around by Snoke in front of his crew
- Aerial shot of Rey walking up to Luke
- Luke throwing away his light saber and Rey retrieving it later
- A lot of the Porg scenes
- Rey explaining to Luke what Chewbacca is saying after they burst into his hut
- Luke's weird milking scene
- Leia coming back from the dead after being sucked out into space
- All of Leia's appearances after that
- Chewie's campfire scene
- Close shot of Kylo's wet hand after force call conversation with Rey
- Rey asking Kylo to "put on a cowl or something" after noticing that he's topless
- Admiral Holdo berating Poe
- Poe being frustrated about Admiral Holdo's behavior
- Poe's mutiny against Admiral Holdo
- Rose's introduction
- Maz Kanata phone call
- Finn's side quest on Canto Bight (and the whole Master Codebreaker nonsense)
- Rey nearly killing some island natives with a rock while practicing with the lightsaber
- Luke falling down after Rey hits him on the head from behind
- Luke hitting Rey after she consequently attacks him
- Luke "going evil" and trying to kill Kylo in the final flashback
- Captain Phasma
- BB8 going on a killing spree
- Rose and Finn returning to Crait while being shot at by Tie Fighters
- Rebels setting up their base on Crait
- Weird old rebel guy walking onto the battlefield with nothing but some binoculars
- Gareth Edwards Cameo and rebel soldier putting salt in his mouth
- Rey shooting down three Tie Fighters at once on Crait
- Finn trying to sacrifice himself in the battle of Crait and Rose "saving" him
- Rose kissing Finn while the Rebel Base is being blown up in the background
- General Hux being thrown around by Kylo in front of his crew
- Luke dying
- Rey's jealous look at Finn while he tucks Rose in
- The names of the actors playing Maz Canata, Captain Phasma, Rose, and DJ where removed from beginning of the credits
- Animated Anti-Cringe-Logo at the beginning and end
- Deleted scene where Luke is mourning Han
- Deleted scene where Luke talks to an island native who eyes Rey suspiciously
- Deleted scene where Poe explains to Finn what happened while he was in a coma
- Deleted scene showing Luke's third lesson to Rey
- Two aerial shots from a documentary of Skellige island (Ahch-To island) that serve as transitions between scenes
- Two Kylo Ren flashback sequences from TFA
- Some classic Star Wars scene transitions here and there
- New background music in some scenes and scene transitions (only Star Wars OST was used)
- There can be no Star Wars without a Wilhelm Scream somewhere in the movie
- Color grading of the whole movie (greenish/yellow tint removed and more color vibrance)
- The intro crawl text changed slightly to include that Snoke has been training "his apprentice Kylo Ren" and that the rebels are certain that "young Rey will find Luke Skywalker and with his help restore a spark of hope to the fight".
- The first battle against the Dreadnought is much more fluid and intense now and not broken up by silly jokes
- Moved the scene where Leia tells C3PO to "whipe that nervous expression off his face" to right after the Dreadnought cannons move to point at the rebel cruiser making it a better fit
- Although General Hux is still not the most intimidating bad guy, at least now he is spared the humiliation by his superiors in front of his fellow officers, restoring some of his dignity and the appearance of him being a respected General.
- The first time we see Luke and Rey, he is already holding the light saber in his hands, showing us that at least some time has gone by since the ending of TFA.
- Instead of throwing away the light saber, Luke gives it back to Rey and tells her that he's sorry before walking off, making her confused expression right after, more believable.
- Leia dies in the second assault of the First Order
- Luke has a vision of Leia floating in space after he reconnects with the force
- Teleportation of matter like water via force call is not possible anymore (shown when Kylo wipes his face to reveal that water from Ahch- To island was transported to him). Now it looks like he's wiping away some sweat after his intense conversation with Rey.
- Luke now seems more skilled in the fight with Rey. He doesn't fall down, after she hits him on the head the first time but immediately turns around to stop her second strike at which point he has a force vision of Rey tempted by the dark side and hears Master Yoda's warning voice telling him not to attack her. This results in him just dodging her hits and staying on the defensive. The one time he falls down now, he breaks his fall with the force, showing us that he could have easily beaten her if he wanted to. This changed scene now also implies that if he had attacked her, he would have probably driven her away even further, thus serving as a good callback later when she refuses to join Kylo.
- The final flashback featuring Luke and Kylo has been defused to the point where Luke acts not completely out of character anymore. The following lines have been removed: "He would bring destruction, pain, death, and the end of everything I love because of what he will become. And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame and with consequence."
Instead after he says "Snoke had already turned his heart..." we see flashes of Kylo (from Rey's lightsaber-vision in TFA) already wearing his mask, walking towards us and killing someone with his red lightsaber. We return to a shocked Luke who continues with "...and the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened young boy who's master had failed him". This changes the meaning of the whole scene. Luke failed Kylo because he allowed Snoke to turn his apprentice while he was under his care and not because he tried to kill him in his sleep. Also Luke does not turn on his light saber except to block Kylo's strike after he consequently attacks Luke.
- When Poe asks Admiral Holdo, if she has a plan and notices that she is fueling up the transport ships, it now seems like she gives in an tells him what the mission is. When they leave her alone on the cruiser and Poe leaves with the transport ships, it looks like they are working together.
- To showcase that there is a montage with Commander D'Acy explaining their escape plan to the rebel base on Crait to Poe (and the audience).
- The reveal that Rose is Paige's sister comes much later in the last act on Crait when she touches the second half of the medallion as she is flying towards the large cannon, creating a better connection/contrast to the beginning of the movie. Her sister died in battle, she survives it.
- The Millennium Falcon enters the battle on Crait gracefully and with style. The first thing we see is it's shadow and not an exaggerated triple kill shot
- When Poe gives up on attacking the big laser cannon on Crait and tells Finn to pull back, it now looks like he is following his order
Luke makes his last stand with a green lightsaber instead of the blue one making the reveal, that he is a force projection, more surprising
- Rey does not appear to be jealous of Rose anymore. Instead she seems to be happy for Finn.
- We get another good look at the broken lightsaber before the Millennium Falcon enters hyperspace for the last time. The kyber crystal of the saber starts glowing faintly...
- There is a cut to black instead of a fade to white before the last scene starts
- The movie ends with Luke pulling himself up and looking out at the sunset (small black dot in front of the sun removed), coming full circle. He looked at it as an infant in "Revenge of the Sith", as a young man in "A New Hope" and finally as an old Jedi Master. Hope fills his eyes. He is alive after all...
Technically a well put together edit, and everything removed certainly wasn't missing. What I can remember from Canto Bight is that someone is riding an animal, and that doesn't seem to aid the story. Likewise Poe's Coup d'spaceship. It actually became clear how much stuff in this movie is unnecessary; bravo for making that plain to see. There are too many named characters, weak exposition and pointless words. The movie still suffers from this even after DonKamillo's edit, but now it's almost bearable. I think this edit is superior to the original. Watching the original again is out of the question, for me.
Despite having cut 50 minutes, the narrative still feels coherent. (I'm certain more can be cut...) All the visual trims and rearrangements are done with care. Same goes for the audio editing. DonKamillo has crafted something less boring and tedious out of a boring, tedious and ultimately forgettable movie. Well done!
I truly loved this edit. The ending is exactly how it should have been and this is what I imagined it should have been when I left the theater when i fist saw TLJ. Don't change it!!! LOL
i have no criticisms, but here are some improvements/suggestions if you ever are going to release a version 2, here are my 1 cents worth that would be cool.
1. At the 40th minute (40:20), it would be cool if the next scene cut to the "hall of mirrors" (around 53:50) and mute all her dialogue and let the scene continue until 55:56 and then you cut back to 40:22 where Luke says to her "you went straight to the dark"...this would parallel nicely with Lukes encounter with Vadar in episode 5 when he saw his own face in vadars mask. Rey saw her reflection in the the underground cave, suggestion a reflection of potential darkness....and luke says that she didn't even resist. For me the whole, my parent dialogue doesn't work in the cave but I guess it could be left in suggesting maybe she is willing to use the dark side to get her answers about who her parents are...kind of like "selling ones soul" to get answers. Either one would work.
2. If you follow point number 1, that cave scene has to be removed from 53:23. So basically keep the scene from 51:12 to 53:20 and then jump to 56:11 to make the scene more seamless.
3. Now this would be cool to pull off like Ivan Ortega. I like the idea of a training montage like Ivan did and I wonder if point 1 and 2 are edited in...then you would have to be creative with what remains ...but I think this movie really need that to make Rey training much more believable and powerful from my point of view:
Here is the montage that i like and you can get some idea to incorporate it into your cut. I mean using Reys light saber scene and the scen when she fights Luke. You can find it on Ivan YouTube channel
Rey Actually Trains! (Rey's Training Fixed!!! Part 02)
4. The scene where Luke give the saber back to Rey and Luke saying "I am sorry", is equally as effective as Ivan's version to (Luke Skywalker Doesn't Throw His Lightsaber Away! (FIX UPDATE))
5. 1:32:43...nothing major...but lea is in the wide shot if you look real hard..lol...no a deal breaker.
6. Overall theme, if it could be done...Show luke more as a fallen Jedi rather than "I am hear to die" on the island. Maybe that dialogue can be removed. But i guess your ending shows his redemption. Its a toss up for me.
Conclusion, outstanding Edit !!!!
I enjoyed this movier far more than the original. You removed almost all cringe from the original movie, only a very few humorous shots left. Leaving out sublot was done greatly. Your take on Leias was intresting, but i have not made up my mind on if it the right way to go for me. i had some issiue with Leia it felt a little jagged in story and the dices threw me off in the end. but it may also be in my mind i used to the original. Technically it was very good considiering the major reconstructing taking away huge amount of content and make it wacthable without sacrifices the narrative story. Nitpicking i saw only a couple cuts that i noticed something done with the film but not sure anyone who doesnt edit movies themself would have noticed. I get to say "i told you so" to my friend that there was a watchable movie in there somewhere if you trimmed away all the bad stuff. Very good fanedit in my mind. Keep up the good work.
I cannot compare it to the original because I couldn't get through it unfortunately. But I was able to get through this edit and that's saying something. I removed some points from narrative because I didn't get the reason why Rose (Had to looki it up) was even there in the first place. Some friends told me she is supposed to be Finn's love interest but there is none of that here as far as I can tell and it feels like she gets some random screen time for no reason. Also some of the cheesy lines and jokes remain but there is nothing to be done about that because they are part of the story. However this is a re-edit of the original film so there is nothing more to be expected unless you want all the drawbacks. All in all I enjoyed it, but I can say that I most probably won't be watching the new one when it comes out unless there is a fan edit of it...
This is by far the most complete and enjoyable edit to date of this movie. I had to watch it twice, once alone and then again with some family. I couldnt help but smile at the end...finally somebody got it right. It felt like a completely different movie and the xtra garbage scenes that were edited out were some of the same choices I wanted to make if I was to do my own edit. I'm sharing this with everyone I know who had issues with The Last Jedi...a few of them said it couldnt be saved. Boy was they wrong. DonKamillo...I tip my hat to you sir. If we're ever at a pub at the same place all drinks are on me.
SIDE NOTE: I was having issues signing into my KoDomino account so I'm using my Ko_Domino one for reviews.