Silent Hill: Restless Dreams
- Blu-Ray (BD-25)
- New opening: Studio logos, title, open on Rose waking up in her car.
- All scenes with Christopher removed throughout the film.
- Removed Rose saying “ashes” when she realizes the snow isn’t actually snow.
- Added a flashback after Rose is attacked by the grey children in the alley: Rose and Sharon in the field, Rose at the gas station, driving up to Silent Hill/getting pulled over and crashing. Numerous cuts throughout, changed to black and white.
- Removed Rose saying “Fuck you, you stupid cop” when she and Cybil discover the drop off in the road.
- Removed a shot of Cybil raising her gun (she does so twice).
- Removed Cybil yelling “Stay where you are! Stop!” at the lying figure/armless man.
- Removed brief flash of students harassing Alessa then Rose finds her desk.
- Removed shot of Colin the janitor in the washroom when Rose is running down the stairs.
- Removed Cybil asking “Do you hear that?” when Pyramid Head is approaching her and Rose’s hiding spot.
- Removed “They used to say this place was haunted” exchange while Rose and Cybil are walking to the hotel.
- Removed Rose saying “We have to go to room 111.”
- Shortened hallway search, Anna’s line still intact, Rose’s is not.
- Removed Rose’s “I love my daughter” when Christabella asks her if she is a person of faith.
- Moved shot of Christabella watching Rose and Cybil to the middle of their “Mother is God” chat.
- Removed Cybil clarifying that an “innocent” is a child.
- Removed Cybil telling Rose that Christabella is “killing” her.
- Removed Christabella’s extra “it will.”
- Removed Cybil getting beaten by the miners.
- Plot dump: Removed Christabella’s “You’re weak my dear sister.”
- Plot dump: Removed Christabella’s “We fight the sin not the sinner.”
- Plot dump: Removed the extra shot of Gucci burning his hands. His character is not in this cut, so this shot is not important.
- Removed flash of Dark Alessa leaving Sharon at the orphanage.
- Removed Dark Alessa clarifying that “satisfaction” means “revenge.”
- Grey ending: ends much the same way that the film does. Rose wakes up in the church, takes Sharon with her. Cut her phone call to Chris, and fade to black after she drives by the gas station. This ending is recommended for those who have not played the original Silent Hill.
- Blue ending: Using a number of still frames from the film (color corrected to be darker and more blue) we see that Rose and Sharon actually died when the car crashed. Open to interpretation, of course. This ending is recommended for those who have played the original Silent Hill, and especially those who received the "bad" mean REALLY “bad” ending.
- New end credits sequence constructed to replace the first section of the credits in the original version. This sequence was originally going to be the opening credits, but was moved here to keep the opening of the film more mysterious. There is also a slight variation in the very start of thecredits between the “grey” and “blue” endings.
ADDITIONAL CUT LIST FOR HD VERSION:
- The story now proceeds chronologically - the flashback that was included in B/W now takes place at the beginning of the film.
- Title moved to the end.
- Color tinting added to fog world and otherworld scenes (blue and red respectfully).
- The audience is no longer spoonfed information about Alessa: all voice-over from the info dump at the end has been removed. The images speak for themselves, and how.
- New end credits music.
In addition, almost every single edit from the original has been tightened up to create a better flow.
I watched the original Silent Hill only once and remember not liking the theatrical cut at all--the narrative was jumbled, the acting left a lot to be desired and the direction was poor.
Aztek463 manages to completely turn this movie around with his excellent edit. He removes all the lousy dialogue and the completely unnecessary scenes with Sean Bean. Best of all, the film now has a very clear flow which totally creeped me out--because it keeps you In Silent Hill and never lets you leave. I've played the original Silent Hill game on PS in the past, and this fanedit totally evokes the mood and feel of the game, which is a great thing.
The original film constantly tried to take you OUT of the film via Sean Bean's character for some reason, but this edit fixes that. The audio and visual editing is flawless, I could not see any issues. The visual effects in the original was not the greatest, but by strengthening the overall narrative, I easily forgot this and was immersed in the story.
All in all, this IS the version Silent Hill was always meant to be--and should be the one to watch over the original. It is not often I that I say that. Kudos to Aztek463!
This is the first fanedit I have watched before seeing the original film. I am vaguely familiar with the Silent Hill franchise, but even though I am a horror fan, I missed this when it came out. So...seeing this edit blind, I can say I really enjoyed this film experience. It was like Fantasia, but in the horror genre. There is a lot of really weird, unexplainable stuff that goes on. This is good. It almost never happens that one can sit back and just let their draw drop. I'll have to watch my DVD of the original now; I hope I will not be disappointed.
I recently got to view this edit back-to-back with Silent Hill Homecoming (Revelations). Overall, I really liked this edit. I liked the minor music changes (at least the ones that I noticed). also like that the Chris subplot is gone. It keeps the focus on Rose and her journey. I did notice some restraint in the Pyramid Head scene outside the church which I think was tastefully done. Also, I like the new ending. It can be interpreted different ways. The only negative was a weird audio transition towards the end concerning the music and during the credits. Basically, you guys need to watch this!
wow it took a whole year to get this, but it was so worth the wait.
everything is just perfect, as a huge fan of the games i was always upset with this movie, but this cut fixes most of the problems that the movie had.
this edit is the one i will always watch.
a big thank you to Aztec 463 for finally doing the game and movie justice, and giving us fans something to be proud of