Scott Pilgrim vs the EditorFeatured
These changes meant that, for example, characters would not be allowed to smoke on-screen (leading to a much shorter, reshot first date, in which there is unfortunately less chemistry between the leads), and certain words had to be bleeped out or scenes cut entirely to remove them. Many others were simply cut for time.
While the altered ending that also resulted from these reshoots is more faithful to the comic book and more true to the characters, many of the other changes appear to be driven less by the filmmakers’ creative vision and more by the various externalities of the movie industry.
- Garbage Truck music video (included on Blu Ray)
- TV static effect from YouTube
- Original Famicom Disk System boot screen animation
- Live action snow effects by Rampant Design Tools
- Additional music:
Wavves, “Post Acid” and “Beach Demon”
Frank Black, “I Heard Ramona Sing”
Blood Red Shoes, “It’s Getting Boring By the Sea”
- “Serial killer” stinger created especially for this edit:
Completely original green-screen scene starring Jaime Babb (aka tumblr user quasi-normalcy) as, in her own words, “the world’s gayest newscaster”
B-roll footage from various CBC news reports and YouTube
Newsroom “virtual set” animation by Architect9
TV modeled and rendered by the editor
- Custom animated logos created by the editor
- Custom 8-bit OT.com vanity plate.
- Custom halftone cel-shaded variant FE.org vanity plate.
- Custom Roccondil Rínon vanity plate (fanfare from The Adventures of Robin Hood).
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the Animation runs before the feature, edited to remove opening and closing bumpers, restore original Wavves music cues and cut Kim saying “retarded”.
- Added TV static to transition from the animated prologue to —
- New “Feature Presentation” animated slide (actually the Famicom Disk System boot screen with the Nintendo logo removed and the words edited in in its place).
- 8-bit Universal logo plays at the start of the movie proper.
- Added flashback scene of Knives meeting Scott on the bus.*
- Added “Originaltrilogy.com and Fanedit.org present”/“a fan edit by Roccondil Rínon” in-scene titles to existing opening title sequence.
- Added texta scribble over “The World” and typewritten “The Editor” to the main title, with SFX to match.
- Added my own name to editor credits in opening titles (this was a bitch to match frame by frame, and I still couldn’t get it perfect, but it shouldn’t be too jarring).
- Added brief scene of Knives leaving, star-struck, after band rehearsal.
- Deleted Kim calling Scott “retard” (managed to do this mid-shot without it being noticeable).
- Added extra business for Sandra, Monique and extras at Julie’s party, as well as Julie saying Gideon “sounds like a f***ing horse”. Rescored with “I Heard Ramona Sing” to match the rest of the scene.*°
- Extended package delivery scene, with slightly adjusted timing in a couple of spots.*
- Alternative, extended first date, including snowstorm VFX towards the end.
- Added short “morning after” scene.
- Added song for Crash and the Boys.*
- Added brief moment of Trasha saying “Good luck”.°
- Extended song “Garbage Truck”.°
- Added gag of Matthew Patel having to repeat his introduction.
- Added short “second date” bedroom gag.
- Deleted Scott’s comment about Knives being “allowed to date outside your race”: she now interrupts him at the word “date”.
- Extended introduction of blue-haired Ramona to Sex Bob-Omb.*
- Extended arrival at the castle.°
- Added “slut” argument between Wallace and Ramona at the castle.°
- Extended coffee date with “Envy’s jealous” gag (this also required some cropping to remove a duplicate title card and mask a transition).*°
- Extended/alternative Knives freak-out/hair-dyeing scene (including re-created title card).*°
- Extended/retimed bar scene at Lee’s Palace (rescored with “It’s Getting Boring By the Sea” to match existing footage) and first appearance of Nega-Scott.
- Extra business backstage at Lee’s Palace.°
- Added “crummy way to end things” exchange between Envy and Ramona.*°
- Extended Pizza Pizza scene.
- Added second appearance of Nega-Scott at the after-party.*
- Added a few bits of business during the Roxy fight.*°
- Custom introduction card for Gideon at the Katayanagi gig: GIDEON GORDON GRAVES. 27 YEARS OLD. RATING: ASSHOLE. The last word blinks for emphasis, and part of the card is still visible (out of focus) in the following shot, as he kisses Ramona’s hand.
- Alternative appearance of Knives after the Katayanagi gig.*°
- Brief cut in break-up scene, so Gideon arrives almost immediately after Ramona mentions him.
- Extended post-break-up moping scene.
- Alternative scene after Scott walks in on Wallace and Chris.*°
- Added line for Stephen at the Chaos Theatre: “Well, then you’re doomed!”*°
- Added gag for Knives about “advanced American slut technology”.*°
- Used some alternative takes in the afterlife scene (including completing VFX).*
- Alternative “speedrun” montage.
- A couple more dick jokes when Scott walks in on Wallace and Chris again.°
- Added Gideon’s line “Are you guys mad at me?” after he kicks Ramona down.*°
- Removed spoken countdown over the last shot of the film. It’s cool, but I couldn’t get it to work with the full version of “Ramona”, and I think it’s a little more elegant like this. It’s also kind of a holdover from the original ending, and having it silent makes it a little less so.
- The full version of “Ramona” plays over the first part of the closing credits.
- Added “Prologue” credits for Scott Pilgrim vs. the Animation.
- Added credits for the two songs restored to the cartoon.
- Added newly shot and edited “serial killer” mid-credits stinger gag.
- Added fanedit credits, including for stinger, followed by the remainder of the original credits, with the original chiptune version of “Threshold”.
* New footage colour-graded to match existing footage.
° New footage upscaled to HD using Super Scaler.
Enjoyed this edit a lot. I hadn't seen this movie in a while so I don't remember everything that was cut, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything. The cartoon intro was well integrated, and the small added scenes throughout the movie were mostly perfectly added in. There were a few moments that some audio transitions seemed too quick, but these were super minor. This edit feels like it changed very little, and just added slightly more to a great movie, exactly what I would have wanted. Perfectly done!
Simply fantastic, a must-see edit.
I loved the theatrical cut, but felt its ending was flawed. When I heard about RoccondilRinon ideas for this cut I was immediately excited, and boy was it worth it. The integration of the additional content is spot-on, the effects are wonderful, the mid-credits gag was beautifully executed, and all-in-all, I felt that this version truly does justice with the source material. Even the removal of some of the jokes and bits felt seamless and were not missed.
This is easily the best fanedit I've seen. I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright, and Scott Pilgrim is one of my favourites, so more is better with this movie for me. I loved the addition of all the new scenes, although some of the audio/video changes were a little abrupt just due to quality, I think you did the best you could. I didn't mind the jokes you cut, but I didn't miss them or notice they were gone at all, so well done.
Really nothing else to say, this was a damn near perfect integration of the deleted scenes back into the film.