Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair
* MKV Matroska [11.1gb]
* Video: 243mn, h264, HD-720p, 1280x720, 5000kbps, 23,976fps.
* Audio: DTS 5.1 [lossless 1536kbps]
* New title & credits have been created.
* Alternate shots during the dialogue in Vernita Green's kitchen are used [from the Japanese version].
* Extended animation scene with extra gore [from the Japanese version]
* Longer gore take of Gogo gutting a man [from the Japanese version]
* Extended 'House Of The Blue Leaves' fight with the Crazy 88, fully uncut and in color [from the Japanese version]
* Extended scene of Sophie Fatale getting her other arm chopped off, and extra dialogue [from Japanese version]
* No interruption between volume 1 and 2, credits have been deleted and the transition has been completely re-edited.
* Extended Pai-Mei flashbacks during the campfire scene [credits to Moderknife for originally crafting this sequence in his 2008 fan-edit, taken from/as inspired by the original script of Kill Bill]
* Re-inserted deleted scene of Bill fighting Michael Jai White and his goons in a Chinese market place.
* Corrected and resynched subtitles on all non-English dialogues.
* Audio in lossless DTS 5.1
This is the only way I can watch Kill Bill anymore, however I have to echo others' comments about the low quailty of the restored deleted scene, and wonder why it was necessary to include said scene in the first place. However, the scene does look significantly better in the HD edition of this than it did in QTheGajin's original SD edit.
I've been trying to track down a copy of the 1280x720 mp4 of this for ages. Promises in the FE listing of "For the first time in high definition" and "Intention: To present an HD version" were the reason I was super excited to see this. I LOVE 'Kill Bill'!
I've owned the uncut Japanese DVDs of 'Kill Bill' since the film came out but there shaby image quality has meant I've always been on the look out for an HD upgrade (I also own the regular Blu-Rays). I figured Dr. Sapirstein had somehow tracked down an HD version of those cuts, perhaps from a rare import BR or an HD TV broadcast?
Well turns out he hasn't, this is the exact same sub-SD source as I've owned for years (Sad face). So if seeing the Japanese colour footage in glorious HD is the reason you want to see this edit... then don't bother.
However this is also a recut, to be like Tarantino's 'Whole Bloody Affair'. On that front it's much more successful, on it's intentions at least. Personally, I feel it doesn't work as this is essentially the same two films glued together, all action, then suddenly all talking.... but that's Tarantion's fault. The material would benefit from being edited in an order that flows better as one evenly paced film.
The audio editing is perfect but I've knocked a point off the mostly marvelous Visual Editing. This is because the Pei-Mei footage is of such low quality (Even lower than the Japan DVD KB material) that it really spoils that section of the film, plus the way the Damoe deleted scene is intergrated wasn't to my tastes.
Do I reccomend it? If you want to see a glimpse of Quentin's WBA cut, then sure.
I am glad someone did an update to my 6 year old version. I made that back in High School.
A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Improvement - 10
Enjoyment - 9 (original 9)
Recommended drink: Vodka and Sobe aka Sove