Fall of the Jedi: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
- NTSC DVD-5
- AVCHD (DVD-9)
- Blu-Ray (BD-25)
- removed four scenes with the Emperor
- reversed final shot of the film
- removed subtitle cutlist (due to shortened film length I would have had to reposition each subtitle track individually, something that would have taken more time than I cared to do)
- added French audio track supplied by Marvins (5.1)
- new opening crawl
- cut “As you know our blockage is perfectly legal”
- cut Qui-Gon telling Obi-Wan that the Trade Federation are cowards
- cut the first “What?” in “What? What did you say?”
- cut “Are you brain dead?”
- trimmed Jedi’s being served drinks
- cut “Is that legal?” and “I will make it legal.”
- cut “Look!” from “Captain! Look!”
- cut all droids talking
- cut “We lost the transmission sir!”
- cut “Yes sir!” after “Seal off the bridge.”
- cut “That will hold them.”
- cut “This is impossible!”
- cut “Where are those droidekas?”
- cut “Its a standoff! Let’s go!”
- cut “They’re no match for droidekas.”
- cut “They’ve gone up the ventilation shaft.”
- cut “You were right about one thing, Master…”
- cut “A transmission from the planet” and “It’s Queen Amidala herself.”
- cut Jar-Jars bad jump down when Qui-Gon says, “Stay down!”
- cut “Mores did you speak?”
- cut Jar-Jar explaining he was banished
- new transition to Gungan city
- cut Jar Jar being arrested
- cut “You didn’t tell him about the missing Jedi”
- cut “Ah! Victory!”
- cut journey through the planet core
- cut “Either choice presents great danger…”
- cut introduction to R2-D2. (He is just another droid in this trilogy.)
- cut “That little droid did it!”
- cut “Now there are two of them.”
- cut most of Jar-Jar’s antics on Tatooine
- reworked Padme and Anakin’s introduction
- cut “You think you’re some kind of Jedi…?”
- cut most of Anakin’s bad dialog
- cut Sebulba trying to strangle Jar-Jar. In fact, Sebulba is just another racer.
- cut introduction to C3PO. (He ends up being just another droid in this trilogy.)
- recut Skywalker dinner scene
- cut Anakin working on the racer
- cut “midi-chlorians”
- cut Qui-Gon using the force to win the die roll
- pod race announcers no longer speak in English
- reworked pod race to speed it up
- cut Anakin presenting Padme with a neglace
- cut the explanation that Coruscant is one giant city
- cut Anakin going to see Padme
- cut all references to Anakin being the Chosen One, as well as talks of a prophecy
- cut Obi-Wan thanking Qui-Gon for believing he is ready for the trials
- cut “No, I beg you to help us”
- cut Jar-Jar being promoted
- reworked final battle, changes include: no Gungan stupidity, no grapple hooks, and Anakin doesn’t accidentally save the day (in fact, Anakin doesn’t even go into space)
- cut Qui-Gon’s dying speech to Obi-Wan
- cut end celebration
I have seen both v1 and v2 of this and have to say the extra work on v2 makes for a smoother and more coherent edit and olays so well in to the aim of Q2's edits not giving away too much for the OT. Great effort. Thanks!
A nice, fun cut - now I need to check out the rest of the PT
This has to be the best version of The Phantom Menace out there. For the first time I didn't feel like pulling my eyes out watching this film. You actually made Jar Jar Binks bearable, he isn't even annoying in this edit (still has that stupid voice though but hey what can you do). I love the fact that you cut out any mention of R2-D2 and C-3PO I really hated that in the original, why the hell would they think it was a good idea to have made Darth Vader be the one who created C-3PO? And I loathe every time they mentioned R2-D2 saving the day "that little droid did it" and the Queen commending a droid for his great work. I also love how you made Anakin not go into the space battle at all, this really annoyed me and other edits have made it out so that he saves the day on purpose and not by accident, I don't think a little boy should be in that battle at all. Although I would have preferred if you kept the brief scene of Qui-Gon telling Anakin to stay hidden in the ship just so that the audience can know where he is during the intense battle scenes. Great ending without that stupid celebration scene, and you also made Obi-Wan's relationship with Anakin much better. I would have given it a 10/10 but this is still The Phantom Menace and there are things that just can't be saved. Editing like this really makes you realise just how important editing is to a film, this literally went from being a truly awful film in my eyes, I've said for years that this film is unwatchable.. to a flawed but fun film all through editing.
Keeping it a bit short this time.
Phantom Menace is IMO the worst Star Wars movie. It's still enjoyable but it's very childish with Jar Jar Binks and young Anakin Skywalker. I actually like Anakin but many of his dialogues are quite bad.
This fanedit edits out a lot of Jar Jar and makes Anakin better among other things. The best part in my opinion is the space battle which always was quite bad. Q2 managed to edit Anakin entirely out from the battle and it worked very well. Majority of the cuts in the movie worked better but I missed the part where they are starting the podracer engine for the first time. It's so touching to see innocent Anakin yell "It's working! It's workiiiing!" :)
Overall a nice, compact edit of the Phantom Menace. I enjoyed it a lot.
Edit: Changed Audio/Video Quality from 8 to 9. It's a bit too light at default but otherwise the video quality is very good.
I just watched this fanedit, and I am blown away. Not only does the removal of the many unnessecary "funny" scenes improve the movie for me because I simply dont like those scenes, but they strengthen the context of the plot behind it. Of course the plot is still about the trade federation, but through the removal of so many funny elements it was possible to take the matter more serious.
Also gone is the mysterious prophecy and those medichlorians. And stuff that feels really uncomfortable to watch like the "are you an angel?" line. And many other things that made the movie too "Disney" for a Star Wars movie (ironic since Disney now owns Star Wars and their first movie was well in line with Episode 4-6).
The original version i can only enjoy on a shallow pure entertainment level. But this version i can truly enjoy as a Star Wars movie that kicks off the whole story.
I did not recognize any technical flaw. Quality is great from start to end and at no point i could make out anything that would give me a hint that this is "just" a fanedit.
Many thanks and so much respect for his work to Q2.