Fall of the Jedi: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
- NTSC DVD-5
- AVCHD (DVD-9)
- Blu-Ray (BD-25)
- removed four scenes with the Emperor
- reversed final shot of the film
- removed subtitle cutlist (due to shortened film length I would have had to reposition each subtitle track individually, something that would have taken more time than I cared to do)
- added French audio track supplied by Marvins (5.1)
- new opening crawl
- cut “As you know our blockage is perfectly legal”
- cut Qui-Gon telling Obi-Wan that the Trade Federation are cowards
- cut the first “What?” in “What? What did you say?”
- cut “Are you brain dead?”
- trimmed Jedi’s being served drinks
- cut “Is that legal?” and “I will make it legal.”
- cut “Look!” from “Captain! Look!”
- cut all droids talking
- cut “We lost the transmission sir!”
- cut “Yes sir!” after “Seal off the bridge.”
- cut “That will hold them.”
- cut “This is impossible!”
- cut “Where are those droidekas?”
- cut “Its a standoff! Let’s go!”
- cut “They’re no match for droidekas.”
- cut “They’ve gone up the ventilation shaft.”
- cut “You were right about one thing, Master…”
- cut “A transmission from the planet” and “It’s Queen Amidala herself.”
- cut Jar-Jars bad jump down when Qui-Gon says, “Stay down!”
- cut “Mores did you speak?”
- cut Jar-Jar explaining he was banished
- new transition to Gungan city
- cut Jar Jar being arrested
- cut “You didn’t tell him about the missing Jedi”
- cut “Ah! Victory!”
- cut journey through the planet core
- cut “Either choice presents great danger…”
- cut introduction to R2-D2. (He is just another droid in this trilogy.)
- cut “That little droid did it!”
- cut “Now there are two of them.”
- cut most of Jar-Jar’s antics on Tatooine
- reworked Padme and Anakin’s introduction
- cut “You think you’re some kind of Jedi…?”
- cut most of Anakin’s bad dialog
- cut Sebulba trying to strangle Jar-Jar. In fact, Sebulba is just another racer.
- cut introduction to C3PO. (He ends up being just another droid in this trilogy.)
- recut Skywalker dinner scene
- cut Anakin working on the racer
- cut “midi-chlorians”
- cut Qui-Gon using the force to win the die roll
- pod race announcers no longer speak in English
- reworked pod race to speed it up
- cut Anakin presenting Padme with a neglace
- cut the explanation that Coruscant is one giant city
- cut Anakin going to see Padme
- cut all references to Anakin being the Chosen One, as well as talks of a prophecy
- cut Obi-Wan thanking Qui-Gon for believing he is ready for the trials
- cut “No, I beg you to help us”
- cut Jar-Jar being promoted
- reworked final battle, changes include: no Gungan stupidity, no grapple hooks, and Anakin doesn’t accidentally save the day (in fact, Anakin doesn’t even go into space)
- cut Qui-Gon’s dying speech to Obi-Wan
- cut end celebration
I just watched this fanedit, and I am blown away. Not only does the removal of the many unnessecary "funny" scenes improve the movie for me because I simply dont like those scenes, but they strengthen the context of the plot behind it. Of course the plot is still about the trade federation, but through the removal of so many funny elements it was possible to take the matter more serious.
Also gone is the mysterious prophecy and those medichlorians. And stuff that feels really uncomfortable to watch like the "are you an angel?" line. And many other things that made the movie too "Disney" for a Star Wars movie (ironic since Disney now owns Star Wars and their first movie was well in line with Episode 4-6).
The original version i can only enjoy on a shallow pure entertainment level. But this version i can truly enjoy as a Star Wars movie that kicks off the whole story.
I did not recognize any technical flaw. Quality is great from start to end and at no point i could make out anything that would give me a hint that this is "just" a fanedit.
Many thanks and so much respect for his work to Q2.
Q2 you are really on to something here. I'm a fairly seasoned Fanedit watcher and a dabbler in (mostly audio) editing myself, and I can honestly say I f&^%in enjoyed watching this cut of the film. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that TPM is the best of the prequels and with the proper editing and you have achieved something really special. Daring cuts and proper respect to the OT solidify this as my favorite edit that I've had the pleasure of watching.
Some comments on the pacing are understandable, but I found they added to a sense of urgency so it worked well for my tastes.
Whatever your perspective is on how you approach your projects keep it up! The editing choices can make or break a film and I really think you nailed this one. Looking forward to your work in the future!
All the best!
What can I say other than WOW. Through all three films in the Fall of the Jedi series you've managed to rewrite history. You've taken three of the worst films of all time and turned them into "reasonably decent" films. That's saying a lot. Considering how bad the theatrical releases were (bad enough that I haven't even been able to enjoy the original series since), I would have thought your achievement impossible. Thank you for renewing my enjoyment of the Star Wars movies. Although all new viewers should still watch 6 films in the order they were released theatrically, the Fall of the Jedi edits are good enough to watched, good enough to be enjoyed, and most importantly good enough that they don't ruin the enjoyment to the original movies. Kudos galore!
I watched the 1080p .m4v files, and the video quality was excellent, as was the audio. Quality of the cutting was also excellent. Everything flowed nicely.
BTW, I'm rating this as 10 across the board as a comparison to the theatrical releases. Certain things about these movies could never be completely fixed, such as the nonsense narrative and horrible acting. However, compared to the theatrical releases these definitely deserve a 10 in my opinion.
First fanedit I've seen, cool
The edit has a lot of things I disagree with but they work amazingly, Jar jar is cut so much it's a wonder why he goes with Qui-Gon and Padme on to tatooine (not that this is a bad thing but it makes you wonder why he's even there standing in the background), 3P0 and R2 aren't even involve in the films which is unique to this particular edit (I believe) and does work but I believe that R2 and 3P0 narrate the story and provide some (good) comic relief so without droids talking, Jar Jar and some others, the movie ends up trying to really serious which it isn't. Once you strip away nearly all the stuff you can it ends up being a very fast paced movie that still isnt that good. Watching the original lets you enjoy the good parts of the movie but this shows how hard it is to make a fanfix. The first time around I found the movie almost too fast and kept forgetting what he cut out but I gave it another chance and realized amazing things I had never seen before like seamlessly cutting out anakins DUBBED SOUNDS when his lips aren't EVEN MOVING (my brother and I have always hated those)
The video can only be so good with either the blu ray or the DVD because the blu ray stresses on blue (watto looks like someone poured a bucket of blue paint on him) and has nearly NO edge-detection (Qui gon looks photoshopped for a magasine) but the DVD is grainy and stresses on pink so it's hard to understand why the movie looks as bad as it does but this is all lucasfilms' fault and NOT the editor's. Also he color corrected the deleted footage so it looks similar to the blu ray but does stand out a bit.
Done great, no special effects but nothing that stuck out at all so... good job
Pretty good, first time around I thought it was a mess but that was because I was expecting things that were cut like Jar Jar's big monologue at the beginning shortened down to two words. If you expect the change, it sounds better every time.
Extremely fast paced, like I said earlier but it really does work, everything is at superspeed even at an hour and thirty minutes, GEEZ how much was there in that half hour of a cutlist that sped up the movie SO much?! Anyway it was great over all
This review is for V1 of this edit, which has Lord Sideous.
I’ve watched a bunch of episode 1 edits (L8wrtr, Yads, Jasonn, Seciors, Hal9000, Magnoliafan, and Q2 v2) and I have to say Q2’s v1 is my absolute favorite.
What’s different about it from the others?
• It has the emperor/Sideous! A couple episode 1 edits have removed him (Seciors, Q2 v2), which may add to the suspense factor in the later movies, but I think it really hurts episode 1 to not have him present. There is just no driving force for the movie without him pulling the strings. Also, cutting Sideous cuts too much Darth Maul, making his appearance a wtf.
• Jar jar and Anakin are at a bare minimum (in my view hal9000 left too much Jar Jar, Seciors left too much Anakin).
• The underwater Gungan city is preserved, in a very abbreviated fashion. (hal9000 removed completely). Without this, the end battle with the Gungan army is not set up properly.
• No god-awful “are you an angel?” line. Q2 is the only editor which removed that, afaik.
• No horrible scene with young Greedo making his cameo (L8wrtr, Yads, Seciors all kept this)
• No C3p0! It always bothered me having him be built by Anakin, now it doesn’t have too! (hal9000, l8wrtr, seciors all keep 3p0).
• Q2 kept in Padme’s line “Well, I don’t approve!”, which is possibly her best line in the movie. (Seciors cut it)
• Mercifully short pod race
• No necklace (L8wrtr, seciors keep it)
• No ascension guns (yads keeps)
• No Disney parade (hal9000 and seciors both keep some parade)
Of course what really makes this film shine is the editing. Q2 is a master at trimming the fat, while keeping the good stuff.
In my view, the only things that would make this edit better would be to dub Jar Jar, as Magnoliafan has done, and maybe tighten up the Anakin farewell as L8wrtr did.