Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Episode I: Army Of The Republic
The Jabba's son storyline from the Movie has been completely removed and replaced by the story of a group of rookie Clone Troopers, culminating in the spectacular battle of Kamino.
- NTSC DVD-9
- M4V (1080)
- Vimeo (720)
- Manufactured space pan sequence, down to a group of Republic cruisers exiting hyperspace and approaching the planet Christophsis.
Cat and Mouse:
- The opening scenes have been rearranged and added to scenes from the Clone Wars Movie to produce longer space battle sequence.
- The next scene moves to the surface of Christophsis, using scenes from the news-reel with the audio effects manufactured from other sources and scored with music from the Battle of Christophsis.
- The movie then moves back to the space battle.
- Cut Trench "recycle shields and set cannons to a full charge".
- Cut battle droids bumping in to each other.
- Cut Kenobi line about the stealth ship "2 steps forward and you'd be kissing it".
- Cut Kenoni "Anakin slow down and do as I tell you".
- Cut Yularen "So I did a bit of research" when talking about Trench.
- Cut rookie pilot scene and move next Trench scene forwards to compensate.
- Cut Trench scene describing sending ships to bomb senator Organa to add uncertainty about the bombers' target.
- Cut Anakin line that de-cloaking giving away their position.
- Cut Kanobi "Anakin I've got enough problems without you becoming one of them" and "what are you doing".
- Cut second "prep torpedo tubes......."
- Cut Trench "Your puny torpedoes are no match for my thermo shields".
- Cut Trench threat scene "I appreciate your decision to face me ship to ship.... Play this little game..... It's been so,long since I had a worthy opponent.
- Cut Kenobi "I hate to admit it" when congratulating Anakin.
- Cut clone pilot dialogue when exiting the stealth ship and replace with discussion about General Kenobi making it to the landing zone - provides a better link to next Christophsis scene from the Hidden Enemy.
- Clone cadets is intercut with Cat and Mouse with fast-paced and slow-paced scenes being matched.
- Initial shot of Kamino used from the news reel to introduce the planet. Scored with music from Ambush on Coruscant.
- Cut clone "move onto the citadel".
- Cut El-Lis "the citadel was constructed to be a difficult challenge".
- Cut Bric "look at those two".
- Cut scene where two clones are talking about women.
- Cut scene where clone accuses Bric of being a mercenary bounty hunter.
- Cut some of commander Colt's speech.
- Re-cut Colt scene so that Colt chooses who goes first rather than asking for volunteers.
- Change citadel variable from THX1138 to 1138.
- Cut part of Bravo squad's simulation.
- Cut Colt asking how Domino squad is.
- Cut scene where Bravo and Domino squads interact - move straight from the Bravo squad test to the Domino squad test to man tan the momentum of the story.
- Cut El-Lis "they're getting farther than normal".
- Cut Clone "I'm on your side, get it, your side".
- Cut "Jedi mate" and "one doesn't need to be a Jedi to feel the stress on your mind" from clone/Shaak Ti scene.
- Delete Cut Up/Bric fight scene.
- Cut 99's line "how can I be a failure when I never had the chance".
- Cut Bric "it's still early, a lot can change".
- Hidden Enemy intercut with first part of Grievous Intrigue
- Opening scene music replaced with score from Love Pledge and the Arena.
- Cut Anakin "now what".
- Re-arranged rooftop escape scene to add more momentum.
- After the rooftop escape cut to a scene between Grievous and Count Dooku, introducing Grievous and establishing the main plot - the invasion of Kamino. Scene produced from various footage from Supply Lines, Heroes on Both Sides and Rookies.
- All references and scenes relating to the clone spy have been cut - Ventress is implied to be the spy.
- After Anakin, Kenobi and the clones discuss the spy, cut to scene where Grievous attacks master Koth's fleet. Scene fleshed out using footage from ARC Troopers, Downfall of a Droid and Nomad Droids and scored with music from Everyone Fighting and Revenge of the Sith.
- Replaced opening Anakin/Kenobi/Ventress dialogue about an informant with dialogue referencing her previous encounter with Anakin, using Clone Wars Movie deleted scene.
- Cut Anakin "what's the plan master".
- Cut Ventress line about Obi Wan being betrayed.tar Wars movie structure, providing the first part of a progressive bridge between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.
Cut Koth line about Grievious being a coward, now referred to a simply a murderer.
Changed the dialogue in the scene where Grievous arrives at Saleucemi, having captured Master Koth. "Prepare for our landing" has been changed to "contact the Jedi council". Then cut to scene from the Clone Wars Movie where Palpatine and Mace discuss a kidnapping. This allows the kidnapping of Eeth Koth to replace the kidnapping of Jabba's son.
In the Council briefing room scene cut Plo Koon's lines because he is stood next to Commander Wolfe with his eye prosthesis - this will correct a continuity problem for episode II.
Cut Kenobi "my skills are a little rusty".
Cut length of coordinates from Eeth Koth's hand signals.
Add in scene from Assassin - Anakin discusses leaving Ahsoka behind to finish her studies - explains where she is for the last act of the film. This is Ahsoka's last scene in the edit.
Cut Gallia "how do you plan on getting Grievous aboard your ship"
Cut Kenobi "don't worry the General and I have a history....." It is now implied that Kenobi and Groevius have never met before.
Cut Grievous "begin preparations for our landing"
Change Grievius "Kenobi" to "Jedi"
Cut Kenobi "you know me too well".
Replace Grievius "Kenobi" with "Hello there".
Cut droid "the general's description of your tactics has been 100 percent accurate today, very impressive even by my standards".
Cut space battle shot
During the battle between the commandon droids, Anakin and Gallia Cut tactical droid's laughing and "got to get it".
Cut Eeth Koth "he's been captured"
Cut Anakin "if we cut off his escape there's a good chance of that".
Cut Grievous "prepare our troops for our landing on Saleucemi".
Cut Cody v Grievous scene to shorten the Grievous' escape sequence.
Replace scene where Grievous boards a landing craft, with a manufactured sequence of Grievous leaving in his star fighter using clips from Downfall of a Droid and Destroy Malevolence.
Change Yularen dialogue from "Grievous attempted to land on Saleucemi" to Grievous jumped to hyperspace.
Change Kenobi "then we'll have to follow them" to "we're right back where we started"
Cut Anakin/Kenobi talking about the space battle and landing on Saleucemi
Clone Wars Movie:
- Cut opening scene discussing The Hutts - leave in dialogue about a kidnapping - this is referencing master Koth.
- Cut battle droid "retreat"
- Cut Kenobi line about putting a request in for a Padawan and about Anakin being a good teacher.
- Cut Anakin "who are you supposed to be" when meeting Ahsoka.
- Cut Anakin "we're in a bit of an emergency right here".
- Cut Yularen line about picking up reinforcements.
- Cut Kenobi line about support ships being destroyed when speaking to Master Yoda.
- Cut "the name's Ahsoka Tano" when she introduces herself to Rex.
- Cut Ahsoka "you're stuck with me Sky Guy".
- Cut Ahsoka "if you're a captain and I'm a Jedi, don't I outrank you?"
- Cut Ahsoka "can do Master Kenobi".
- Cut Anakin "I'll decide what we do".
- Cut Kenobi "That shield is certainly putting a crimp in my day".
- Cut Ahsoka "if you say so".
- Cut Battle droid "look, Jedi".
- Cut Ahsoka "make up your mind".
- Cut Ahsoka's angry pose - too much attitude
- When Kenobi is captured, moved "I surrender" line to after the battle droid removes his lightsaber.
- Cut whole Kenobi/Loathsome negotiation scene.
- Shorten Ahsoka's "Mary Sue" scene where she destroys a droid.
- Cut Anakin shouting at Ahsoka "who's side are you on anyway".
- Replace Ahsoka "Sky Guy" with "Master".
- Cut second Kenobi/Loathsome negotiation scene.
- Cut Battle droids "oh no".
- Cut Battle droid "what happened to the shield".
- When Master Yoda arrives on Christophsis, Cut dialogue relating to Jabba's son and add in Yoda line "Go with you she will to the temple, Kidnapped Master Koth has been".
- Cut Ahsoka "that doesn't sound too hard".
- All scenes after leaving Christophsis have been cut.
- Cut "there are officers on the way" in first scene on Rishi moon.
- Bring forward Grievius/Ventress scene about the plans for invasion.
- Recut commando droid landing sequence so that the droids are seen running to the base before the deck officer is attacked
- Cut commando droid "turn on the all clear signal".
- Cut Anakin "that was weeks ago" when talking about the search for Grievous.
- Cut Kenobi "unlike you" when talking about getting rest.
- Cut clone line "it's Commander Cody" when the clone shuttle arrives on the Rishi moon.
- Cut commando droid "you sound strange, is something wrong with your vocabulator".
- Cut dialogue of Grievius and Battle droid talking about resistance from a few clones - the story needs Grievius to continue straight to Kamino believing that the base is secure.
- Add manufactured scene using dialogue from Massacre - Grievius "the time has arrived, we go to Kamino to battle".
- Cut scene where Grievius is aware that the station has been destroyed and orders retreat an the Republic fleet arrives.
- Delete clones talking about the separatist fleet being in retreat.
- Add in shot of cruisers in hyperspace before the scene where Anakin, Kenobi, Rex and Cody talk about the impending invasion of Kamino - gives sense of urgency for the Republic fleet to get to Kamino.
- Replace Grievous "we will attack Tipoca City first" with "our fleet is approaching the system" when talking to Ventress.
- Cut Echo "you actually remember us" when talking to 99.
- Cut 99 "I remember all my brothers"
- Cut Kenobi "not even Grievous would attack so recklessly"
- Cut Grievius "remember assassin, you are to recover the clone DNA"
- Cut Ventress "why not destroy it"
- Cut Grievius "because the DNA could unlock new possibilities for us"
- After battle of Kamino finished add scene using footage from Clone Wars Movie of Dooku & Sidious discussing the defeat. Score from Confrontation with Dooku.
Smudger9 has engaged in a monumental effort with their cuts of 'The Clone Wars' and it's quite remarkable just how much effort they have put into making these movie cuts from the TV series. A TV series I have to say, I was never a fan of, despite trying to get into the show several times and failing.
But the editor here has sliced out much of the show's most awful moments and therefore made for a far more enjoyable viewing experience. It's also a more "adult" experience too, in that a lot of the overly "kid friendly" elements have been eliminated. Unfortunately, annoying characters like kid Ahsoka and kid Boba are still present. But, there's nothing that Smudger9 can really do about that. Although, using some judicious cuts, they are less irritating here than they were in the TV show. I still just want to slap Boba though. And those "roger roger" droids still have the capacity to make me want to murder, despite them being heavily truncated.
My particular problem is not with Smudger9's version of 'The Clone Wars'. It's with 'The Clone Wars' itself. It just wasn't a very interesting show, had a tendency to ramble terribly and, unfortunately, some of that poorness comes through. Don't get me wrong, Smudger9 has made a very watchable and enjoyable cut here. But the problems are ingrained in the show itself.
It's usually accepted that 'The Clone Wars' didn't get good until Series 3. Although I was question if it was ever truly good and as of Smudger9's Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Episode V: Rise of the Dark Side, we've just got to Series 4 of the original show. So, the editor still has a bit of work to do, turning a generally poor show into a watchable one.
In spite of my criticisms of 'The Clone Wars' itself, I can highly recommend Smudger9's cuts. It's a great effort and well worth checking out. In fact, I'd recommend avoiding the TV series altogether and just watch Smudger9's far better versions.
A lot better than that crappy Clone Wars movie they released in theatres
Perfect way to watch the clone wars series with all the fluff removed and as its now canon in Disneys books all the more reason to watch Smudger9s versions. Perfect editing visually the only small issue I could find was the 100ms audio delay which is a quick and easy fix.
Nice work Smudger9 Keep it up
Star Wars: The Clone Wars tells a universal story of war between good and evil, and in that turmoil the daunting challenge to not become that-which-you-fight in Anakin's efforts to stop the Dark Side. A scope that cries out for feature-length presentation on the big-screen.
Smudger9 merges multi-episode story arcs, skips inconsequential storylines, and removes repetition and filler. The result is more mature and better focused.
If you haven't the time to watch the feature film plus 6 seasons, settle in with Smudger9's movies instead.
If you want to find out why (and how) the clones turned on the Jedi, insert these Clone War stories in your Star Wars movie line-up.
If you enjoy animated Star Wars and are sad that Rebels is ending, watch Smudger9's Clone Wars.
What a fantastic concept. Smudger9's edits are a wonderful way to approach the series with the best elements maintained and the cheese minimized. There are plenty of moments remaining that still betray the silly tendencies of the series, but theyre manageable and relatively inoffensive.
*the action throughout here is extremely streamlined and intense. By the final battle on Kamino, this film I think has packed more into it than any other regular Star Wars film.
*its interesting to watch this movie on the heels of your favorite AOTC edit to see how the story arc flows. Anakin Skywalker is a character wonderfully realized in the Clone Wars, light years from Hayden's mugging, yet seeming like the perfect bridge in bringing this long, long story back to Hayden and ROTS.
*just how many times does Obi-Wan meet Grevious in a lightsaber battle in this series? 2 here....
*the story arc, as others have noted, kind of just ebbs amd flows. Theres no traditional buildup with one story to a climax, yet Star Wars always was episodic. The transitions between stories, however, are so seamless it really does feel like a fully realized film.
*far be it from me to demand anything, but man, those battle droid voices are a continuous Achilles' Heel for this series. All that "um....sir......" in those gratingly childish, throwaway voices have zero value or place in a series even known for childishness. I know, I know, its supposed to be a laugh, but, aside from the fact that the voices are totally unamusing, it just reeks of Lucas-cynicism, the same "creativity" that drove him to put the Emperor's final yell in Luke's mouth for the SE of ESB. An editor who makes something as wonderful as this movie has got to grit their teeth every time those battle droids intone their godawful whining. Any intrepid editor want to take a shot at dubbing over those voices with a sound worthy of a dangerous, intimidating, separatist army?