With that out of the way, let's get started. Among many changes, this is focused on Erik. So, we only meet a character Erik meets them or is connected to someone Erik knows like Moira is connected to Shaw and in turn Erik. Darwin's death and Angel's switch (it seems she was always with Shaw) will be cut.
- Moved Charles and Raven's meeting to a later scene
- Added new title card
- Cut Charles meeting with the odd colored eyes girl, Raven complaining and the whole mutant speech
- Trimmed Spying and Hellfire club
- Added back deleted scene of Erik in airport after a scene of Charles being followed by Moira
- In the deleted scene, cut a workman asking Erik if he was looking for someone.
- Cut Charles and Moira in the CIA office and all the scenes afterward
- Added a fade between Colonel Hendry’s explosion and Erik nearing the yacht
- Cut Angel and Darwin from the recruiting montage
- Cut Shaw’s “I’ll handle them”
- Cut nicknaming sequence
- Cut the recruits, Mystique and Beast partying
- Trimmed the Colonel and invisible mind control Emma Frost
- Cut all of the pre X-Men from HQ attack
- Cut Angel’ switch and Darwin’s death
- Moved Riptide’s attack on Cerebro
- Cut all Darwin reference
- Changed Erik’s line from “We can avenge him” to just “We can avenge”
- Added first Charles and Raven meeting flashback to the kitchen scene after Erik and Raven scene
- Changed “X-Men: First Class” into “X-Men: Magneto” in the end credits
I really liked the theatrical release of First Class, but felt it ought to have been named "Magneto Begins". Theryaney's edit promised to trim the superfluous and redundant bits and turn it into an actual origin story. Sadly, I believe it fails in that.
As the-scribbling-man wrote, there are pacing issues throughout the film. The relationships between Moira, Raven, and Xavier are rushed and underdeveloped because too much has been cut. This, in turn, severely cripples the film, as certain scenes become jarring and almost incomprehensible. For example, cutting Xavier's recruitment to the CIA makes it difficult to understand the scene where he first meets Magneto. Additionally, moving Mystique and Xavier's first encounter to the end of the film takes away the basis for their relationship (and the transition was not done well - there's a noticeable drop in quality).
As a few others reviewers noted, the subtitles file is incomplete and some lines of dialogue are missing.
I really hope these issues are resolved, because this edit is very promising.
This edit is just fantastic I have no complaints about it.
I highly recommend watching this edit.
The pacing is really good.
Pretty much everything that I didn't like In first class is gone.
I really like the darker beginning of the movie.
I am looking forward to this new X-Men universe.
Hope to see a sequel in the nearby future.
The subtitles were also really good.
If the editor needs any help with the X-Men projects I am happy to help.
im very new at doing Reviews here. im not sure if it was SD or HD, but the Quality was good for me but i really loved this movie and i really had a good time and all i can say is this is a really good edit and it has alot of passion! im excited for the sequel and this this X-Men Continuity Series.
A very tight edit which does a lot to fix the things that dragged First Class down. The X-Men film series seems to be plagued by underdeveloped and ultimately pointless supporting characters who just happen to have a name from X-Men comics. This trimmed this as best it could, though there are still limitations to how much of that can be done. Ultimately, putting the narrative focus on Magneto was a great idea as his was always the most compelling story in the film (a holdover from when this was to be X-Men Origins: Magneto, perhaps?).
I rated enjoyment as a 9 only because there is an issue with the subtitles. They don't quite work exactly as they should and in a movie with so much non-English dialogue that does hurt enjoyment.