wolverine_restoration_front
FanFix September 03, 2022 4476
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I will start by saying that I really liked the original, despite not enjoying much the third act. The tone was almost completely out of place compared to the previous two acts, but still, I enjoyed a lot the "Ronin" take on the Wolverine.

Now, when it comes to the edit, up until the moment where Logan kills Shingen, I loved it! I was thinking, no way, these guys actually did it and have restored the original vision of the director! Granted, the first two acts were the "easy part", but still, it gave me the impression that the third act will fall in line. The editing was superb, audio the same and the changes that were made were most welcome. Particularly I was pleasantly surprised with the seamless removal of the action sequence in the love hotel and how it went from Logan passing out at the balcony, straight to the part where the son of the hotel owner is removing Logan's bullets. Also, no more Viper ;)

But then, we went to the third act where I was really really surprised, and not in a good way, about what was done. First of all, the edit from Logan removing the sword from his chest to the pagoda where his next destination was, was abrupt. Then, we have an awkward sequence of Harada saying something to Mariko and trying to kiss her and then we go straight to the fight with him, the ninjas and Wolverine. As it turns out, it was the final battle, where yet again there is another abrupt cut of Wolverine and Jean, which leads as to the scene of the plane where Logan is leaving and saying goodbye to Mariko. The end.

I never saw this coming. In my mind, the way this edit was going, I was sure of one of two things would happen, either the final battle would be with Shingen, which I would had loooved if that was the case, or they would have heavily trimmed the Silver Samurai sequence. Well, I was wrong on both accounts. I don't know about you guys, but if the final battle was Shingen vs Wolverine, it would have been perfect. Obviously, you would need to remove the "come and get her" scene and find some in-between scenes to connect the end of the battle with the scene at the airport, but I think it's possible, even if we get a couple of abrupt cuts to achieve that.

The only reason I recommend this edit is for people who absolutely cannot stand the third act of the movie and for the excellent work that was done with the first two. For me, I think I will stick with the original version..

Thank you guys for reading my review and a big thank you to Silver Screen Samurai and Wakeupkeo for all their hard work!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments