valerianlost_front
FanFix February 01, 2022 2497
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

The original film at the cinema was a mixed experience for me - visually spectacular (I saw the 3D version) with many parts I really enjoyed, however also many parts that I thought were just plain *bad* and left me wondering what Luc Besson was thinking - but it was good enough for me to buy it on 3D Blu-Ray when it eventually released.

This edit by Malthus neatly excises all the parts that spoiled the original; the forced and flatly acted marriage proposal subplot is gone (this slapped the brakes on the film’s pace whenever it reared its head) and several other scenes have been neatly trimmed or altered very cleverly.

I’ve docked 1 point each for audio/visual - there was a brief silence towards the end of the film, and one cut at the end of the throne-room fight that I felt was a touch too sudden. Narrative loses 2 points for a bit of confusion regarding the Pearl Princess soul wave (the interrogated prisoner death is repurposed but seems to me to be about 3 decades too late to make sense) and the ending felt very abrupt - though I really like the new ending music!

I’d definitely recommend this cut to first-time viewers or fans of the original. Full marks for enjoyment!

(I watched this edit on a virtual reality full cinema screen via Skybox on Quest 3, stereo audio only.)

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply March 17, 2024

I'm very much looking forward to viewing your interpretation of this and glad you enjoyed my take on the film soo much. I fully agree with all that was said re: the princess plot, good spot! and will at some point come back with version 5 that will hopefully address that. Personally the ending the a throne scenes work for me but that's the beauty of fanedits. Thanks for the review!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments