Review Detail

7.8 6 10
(Updated: September 02, 2012)
Enjoyment

January 1, 2010 @ 12:55 am

I just got through the movie, and I think this was a very good edit all around. There were a few audio glitches and slightly rough transitions which detracted from the experience a bit, but it was still a WAY better cut of the movie than the original. In addition to the small glitches (i.e. the audio temporarily disappearing for a fraction of a second), the transition in the end from the start of the Linkin Park song to Stan Bush’s “Till All Are One” was a little rougher than I’d have liked. However, everything else I thought was great.

Also, given how much screentime the Twins had in the original cut, I was very amazed at how well the beginning of the movie works without them. The only change I’d make there is that maybe the scene where they switch from being an ice cream truck to individual cars at the base should be left in, since I felt that their appearance later in the film was just a wee bit too abrupt (the scene I mentioned would probably be just enough of an introduction that they aren’t a total surprise later).

The nods to G1 like Soundwave’s voice and the implementation of “The Touch” during the last battle were very well executed and made the movie feel more enjoyable and nostalgic for me.

Hats off to you, Gieferg. This is a superior cut of the film IMO, and to me proves that there’s a gemstone in the rough of Bay’s bloated, immature and sometimes downright illogical theatrical cut. I do hope that you will continue to polish this gem, because it shows lots of promise and I think that with enough refinement (and possibly Blu-Ray? *fingers crossed*) this could replace the original version of the film entirely. Keep up the good work!

Oh yeah, also there were a few times (particularly during talking scenes, but also some action scenes) where the audio levels seemed weaker than in other parts of the film. I had the volume up pretty loud for most of the movie, but during the first scene with the Witwickies I had to turn it up even louder, as well as in some other scenes because the volume would drop down. Hopefully this can be corrected in a future release of this cut!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments