(Updated: March 15, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

QUALITY

Quality is decent, but not peak for an HD source. Visual is a little soft in places and the rich reds of Mars betray some of the compression.

VISUAL

Bobson regraded the whole film. Some shots looked better and less washed out to me, others were a bit too dark or warm for my liking. The new dream sequence is a nice bit of editing and a really creative addition to the film. The only thing that felt a little off to me were the occasional dips to black, which felt a little random in the midst of the other crossfades.

AUDIO

I hate to mark this down as much as I have but during the conversation between Qwaid and the Recall manager at 00:11:14, the audio completely drops out.

I also noticed a small audio hiccup at around 58:57. But otherwise, transitions came across solid.

NARRATIVE

I think that Total Recall is already open to interpretation in terms of whether or not we are witnessing recall or reality, but Bobson's makes a good point: if we are to believe in the possibility of it all being a dream, why isn't it only from Qwaid's perspective? Doesn't cutting between that and the bad guys break that illusion? Unfortunately, Bobson doesn't commit fully to this idea and neglects to cut out several moments that aren't from Qwaid's perspective. But if, like me, you already consider the "it's all a dream" a valid interpretation of the original film, then arguably what's been cut here only aids that interpretation a little more.

A narrative hiccup I picked up on was that when Qwaid is being told he is still in recall and needs to take the pill, the man mentions that Qwaid's delusional adventure started mid-procedure - except it doesn't in this version. Instead of him waking up part way through and it all going wrong, like in the original, he instead drifts off to sleep and we have a new dream montage to help transition to his "recall" adventure. This line should ideally be changed to reflect that.

ENJOYMENT

I like the original film, but Bobson has made some good cuts, and it's amazing just how well it still functions with so much material gone. The film does move at a brisker pace and I wasn't bored for a moment; for a new viewer this may not be ideal, as it storms through the plot points, but if you're returning to the film I think it works fine.

In one sense, it is a shame to have less time with the bad guys, and I would have liked to have seen a stricter take on the "dream"/Quaid perspective angle; but what's here works and makes for an enjoyable alt take. My biggest issue overall is the audio dropping out early on.

User Review

Format Watched?
Digital
T
Top 50 Reviewer 103 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments