Review Detail

9.3 13 10
FanMix August 08, 2012 7638
(Updated: September 12, 2012)
Enjoyment

October 26, 2010

This is an excellent edit.

While I am not a real fan of bloody/gross-out horror movies, the SAW movies always held a weird dark power over me.
The first movie is brilliant and the first sequel was an excellent follow-up.
But after that, I must admit, each following sequel interested less and less,
as the story became more about the Death Traps (and how gory they could be)
than about actual character. Often I would just fast forward through most of the movies
just to get to flashbacks and the character stuff (what little there may be…).

So upon reading Sunarep’s plans for the edit, I became very excited!
An edit that focused on the character of JIGSAW and how he became the killer in chronological order.

And I must admit, Sunarep has pulled it off brilliantly.

I was concerned by just using flashbacks, that the narrative would not flow evenly,
but surprisingly it works fairly well. There are a few minor moments where there are obvious gaps
in the timeline story, but nothing the audience can not figure out by themselves.
Though the weakness of this type of edit, characters pop in and out, and you do not get any
sense of closure for their characters ( ie. Costas Mandylor).

That said, the edit felt a tad long, I think some of the core original SAW movie could have been trimmed a bit.

Technically, the edit is very well constructed. The audio sounded excellent to me. All the edit/transitions worked very well.
There were a couple of very brief scenes where the video quality seemed to drop off compared to the rest of the feature,
but it was nothing disruptive.

Entertainment wise, the first half hour is truly gripping. The movie as a whole is very engaging and is a great Halloween Treat.
I think this edit would appeal to both the hardcore SAW Fan and just the regular viewer who enjoys a good dark and twisted psychological thriller.

Great work! I would give this edit 9/10!!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments