TTT ART EP 07
FanMix September 01, 2023 1799
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I really like most of Tarantino's films, but I have my favorites. Inglorious Basterds isn't one of them. Maybe, it's the subject matter or the fact that it's a gory war movie with comedic overtones. Several genres that don't seem to belong together somehow find cohesion in this movie.

It is a very long movie to cut down to an hour. I was definitely curious as to how Art pulled that off. I read the description of the edit and some of these reviews. I am aware that a lot has been cut and a lot of David Bowie has been added. Since Bowie was famous after the events were to have taken place, that seemed like an odd choice. The dedication to Bowie was very nice.

The entire opening of Colonel Landa murdering Shoshanna's family was cut, the edit opening on Hitler ranting and raving.
The first song, which was featured during the recruitment of the Basterds, Heroes, was my least favorite song placement. It seemed to conflict with Leuitenant Raines speech and didn't sound great muffled.

The next song placement completely redeemed any reservations that I had about the first. The choice to place Psycho Killer (not by Bowie) as the introduction to the "Bear Jew" was excellent. It was the perfect song for that iconic moment.

Suffragette city was also placed in the perfect spot. I loved the "crash" on Churchill but felt the song overpowered some of the dialogue at times.

Other songs that stood out and worked well were Fame (the intro playing as Major Hellstrom brought Shoshanna to meet Goebbels was an excellent choice and perfectly lands on Landa's introduction. It also amplifies the evil of the too brief, but well executed, b&w flashback of the opening murder scene). It was obvious that much was cut out of these scenes if you were familiar with the movie, especially the entire romantic obsession that Zoller had fir Shoshanna.

Rebel Rebel presented perfect tone for the tavern scene and the needle lift was an awesome small touch! Much of the movie was cut here on micro cuts with expert precision!

Cat People (one of the better song placements that was in the original movie) perfectly sets up the theatre destruction and massacre of the Nazis.

Man Who Sold The World, Golden Years, Moonage Daydream and Changes all work well. For some reason, Art chose to muffle part of Golden Years right before Landa murders Hammersmark. That wasn't the best decision even though it escalates as he is struggling to kill her. Changes was almost hilarious at the end.

The very best song placement, as others have mentioned, was using the Pink Floyd song, Pigs as the theme for the slaughter of the Nazis. This was just over two minutes of Cinematic perfection that even Tarantino wouldn't have considered. I'm not a huge fan of the Floyd but even I can appreciate that level of perfection.

This was a very impressive edit as a whole. There is so much going on in just over an hour. It's amazing that it works so well. The editing, both visual and audio, is flawless.

Excellent work, ArtisDead! I highly recommend this edit and look forward to seeing more from you!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments