Superman II: The Hybrid Cut
1. Alternate version of “Planet Krypton” cue by John Williams opens the film.
2. Non kills the guard, Zod Breaks the crystal and the rings come down. Cut to:
3. Brando asking the council to pronounce judgment.
4. As Phantom Zone speeds away, Krypton Explodes and Alexander Salkind credit speeds out of this. Credits are from Donner Cut.
5. Zoom into earth cuts to the tail-fire of the XK-101 Rocket with Supes chasing it.
6. Lots of bad CGI removed. Rocket Explodes, shattering Phantom Zone from Lester Cut but with “FREE!” mixed in. Fade out as Villains fly to the moon.
7. Fade in on Metropolis Street vendor, then cut to Perry reading the paper.
8. Lois Jumps. Bad eye-beam shots removed. Awning was always open.
9. Extended Prison sequence
10. Moon, with “curl” discussion back at Mission Control. Hairdryer line cut.
11. Donner’s getaway.
12. Tour of the honeymoon suite.
13. Heading North
14. Falls rescue is a hybrid of the two cuts, with Lois noticing Clark’s absence reinstated.
15. Donner’s version of Lex in the fortress
16. Pink Bear scene, trimmed down.
17. Heading South
18. Non picks up the snake, but only ponders it.
19. Superman takes Lois to the fortress, picks up flowers and dinner.
20. Ursa arm wrestles.
21. Dinner. No sex with Lois while super-powered. No Kryptonite condoms in this story.
22. Brando depowers Superman. Nookie afterward.
23. Donner cut for a long long time, until …
24. “Care to step outside?”
25. Donner cut Metropolis battle and Fortress
26. Arctic Police, Smallville line removed (with a fantastic musical edit behind this whole scene)
27. Fortress NOT destroyed. Cut straight to the kiss.
28. Tearful farewell on terrace
29. Memory Kiss
30. Elevator Bully
31. Diner Bully
32. Flag Flying High, end credits.
I saw this in the theatre as a kid, and loved it. Seeing the theatrical version as an adult, there are elements that make me cringe. I now know that most of those were added by the Salkinds after Donner left. It was with anticipation that I saw the Donner cut of Superman II. I liked it. A lot. But it was, to a certain extent, too hard. The cornpone humor was removed, but also the wit and savy, mostly provided by the immortal Gene Hackman.
This edit truly provides the best of both worlds. It has humor without camp, and action that stays true to the comics. In the end it is not a bunch of super-powered tricks that defeats the three criminals, but Kal-el's intellect over Zod's brutality.
In short, Adigitalman does it again!!!
I didn't properly see the Superman movies until several years ago. I saw all the edits and read a lot of criticisms of the sequels, particularly II, and the stories involved therein. So I bought the movies and got some edits to watch. I like to experiment with these things, so I decided to watch ADM's II followed by his combination of III and IV. I'd seen his other work and I felt I could trust him to take care of me as I explored this new world. It was fantastic. Everything flowed and made sense. It was a great story, and I became a Superman fan. I've seen the official and the Donner Cut now and I find I much prefer the less campy edit. There's a fantastic deja-vu mash-up that is very creative and good but doesn't mesh with ADM's Superman Redeemed, so his Hybrid cut is my go-to because Redeemed is superb.
I have always enjoyed Superman II a lot, being my favourite Superman Movie of all times. However, as I grew old I realised that at some points it had its flaws points. This was suposed to be changed with the Richard Donner version. Unfortunately that did not happen.
The good thing is that now, thanks to this fanedit created by adigitalman you will have the opportunity to watch the best of the two movies as it was one unique and good film.