Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker: Anti-Cringe-CutFeatured
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Documentary of Skellige Island
- OST for Episode VII, Episode VIII and Episode IX
- Custom Crawl Tutorial by DigModiFicaTion
- To everybody for their encouragement and constructive criticism in the edit's forum thread
- To my wife for tolerating this obsession of mine
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Audition
- Different crawl text
- Leia stays dead
- Luke is still alive.
- Multiple scenes that connect TLJ and TRoS (instead of separating them with all the backpedaling)
- The Wayfinder is not needed to find Exagol. It's not plugged into ships and is never mentioned throughout the movie. It only appears once as a nameless artifact when Rey grabs it at the Death Star ruins where Kylo destroys it.
- The Emperor's broadcast is heard at the beginning of the movie
- There is no spy in the First Order
- There's no such thing as lightspeed skipping
- The Falcon is not treated like trash (set on fire, crash-landed etc.)
- Lando is introduced much later
- There's no secret Finn wants to tell Rey
- Appearances and mentions of Knights of Ren are reduced
- There's no force healing
- No "Matrix jump" from Rey
- No invincible Kylo Ren (surviving that crash in the desert unscathed)
- Kylo's ship survives the desert encounter
- Reveal of Chewie being alive comes not right after his "death" but a little later
- Poe is/was not a spice runner
- Zorri's role is reduced to being Babu Frik's assistant/translator
- Poe and Zorri do not know each other before meeting on Kijimi
- No magic coin to get into Star Destroyers
- Poe, Finn and Chewie do not go an a stormtrooper killing spree
- Rey is not related to Palpatine
- Hux is not killed by General Pryde
- There's no hidden mechanism in the dagger
- Jannah's role is reduced. Finn and her do not bond over exchanging old First Order stories
- Rey has not magically learned how to steer skimmers through storms. She is taken to the Death Star ruins by Jannah
- Instead of Leia calling out to Kylo on the Death Star, Luke is
- Kylo dies on the Death Star
- Luke and Leia didn't know anything about Rey's heritage
- R2D2 does not restore C3PO's memory
- There's no ground invasion (aka horses on a space ship) in the battle of Exagol
- The Emperor does not change his mind back and forth on how to deal with Rey
- Rey does not die after her battle with the Emperor
- Different lightsaber colors for Leia and Rey (the one she made herself)
- Kylo murdering random people on a random planet and finding the Wayfinder there
- The whole scene with Kylo and the Emperor (moved to my Definitive ACC of TLJ)
- Boolio mentioning Leia and a spy in the First Order
- Light-speed skipping
- Rey's "Be with me" moment and talking to Leia
- Kylo touching Vader's mask (moved to TLJ DACC)
- Millenium Falcon being on fire from all the light-speed skipping
- An extra shouting "We need a fire crew in the back!" as Rey approaches the Falcon for the first time
- Rey and Poe bickering and talking about spies and light-speed skipping
- Poe mentioning the spy and delivering quality dialogue like "Somehow Palpatine returned"
- Charlie/Merry talking about dark science and Sith cloning
- Rey looking at Leia
- Poe talking to Leia about Palpatine's return
- Rey talking to Leia about the Wayfinder
- Rey telling Poe he was right before (as the bickering scene was cut)
- Rose's excuse to not be in the movie
- Rey saying good bye to Leia
- Storm Troopers mentioning the Knights of Ren
- Kylo's goons analyzing the origin of the necklace
- Lando shooting the stormtrooper and the rest of his scene in the desert
- Everybody forgetting that "They fly now"
- Finn's "Rey I never told you..." moment
- Leia getting informed of the raid on the desert festival
- Rey asking Finn what he wanted to tell her
- Finn mentioning the shifty stuff Poe's been doing
- Crew mentioning Occhi in the desert
- All mentions of the Wayfinder in the cave.
- Rey force healing the serpant
- Knights of Ren standing on a rock doing nothing
- Rey's Matrix jump
- Hux informing General Pryde that they've made a valuable prisoner and (early) reveal that Chewie is alive
- Finn mentioning that the dagger had the location of the Wayfinder on it while discussing with the others what to do next.
- Confrontation/Fight with Zorri Bliss and "reveal" that Poe was a spice runner
- Zorri leading them to the underground blacksmith.
- Finn teasing Poe because he was a spice runner
- Zorri leading them into the backroom of the underground club
- Zorri asking Poe who he's hanging out with that speaks Sith
- Roof scene with Zorri and Poe
- C3PO mentioning the Wayfinder in the translated message, and also saying that the dagger will show the spot
- Poe saying good bye to Zorri and her giving him the magic open-sesame-coin
- Poe inserting the magic coin in Occhi's ship
- Poe and Finn mowing down hords of storm troopers while escaping with Chewie without using any cover
- Poe, Finn and Chewie getting captured
- Poe and Finn being brought in front of General Pryde and sent away to be executed
- Kylo's saying "I can't tell you" to Rey after he asks her if she knows why the Emperor wants her dead and she answers "No"
- Execution scene and Poe, Finn and Chewie finding out that Hux is the spy
- Hux freeing Poe, Finn and Chewie and telling Finn to shoot him in the leg
- Kylo telling Rey that she's Palpatine's granddaughter and talking about their family tree
- General Pryde shooting Hux for being the spy
- Rey saying "All that matters is The Wayfinder" and Finn responding "That's what we're doing"... (some quality dialogue right there)
- Poe crashing the Falcon (again) before our heroes approach the ruins of the Death Star
- Rey discovering the dagger's "hidden mechanism" and finding the specific spot she has to go to
- Jannah telling our heroes that she can take them to the wreck the next day
- Poe talking about fixing the Falcon
- Everybody fixing up the Falcon and Finn and Jannah exchanging First Order stories
- Everybody discovering that Rey took the skimmer
- Rey steering the skimmer
- Finn and Poe getting in a fight for no reason
- Jannah telling Finn that there's another skimmer
- Rey fighting Dark Rey and Dark Rey showing her teeth "Bilbo style".
- Kylo mentioning Leia in front of Rey
- Maz telling us how Leia is preparing to die
- Leia calling out for Kylo
- Leia dying
- Rey healing Kylo
- Everybody standing around Leia
- Poe and Finn returning to speak to the General, just to learn that she's dead
- Emperor mentioning the princess of Alderaan crossing him
- Rose mentioning to Poe that Leia made him acting General
- Rey throwing her lightsaber and Luke catching it
- Luke asking Rey what she's doing here
- Luke saying that he was wrong and that fear kept him on the island
- Luke revealing that he knew Rey was a Palpatine all along and that Leia knew too
- Luke and Rey talking about Leia training her
- Luke talking to Rey that there are some things stronger than blood referring to her connection to Palpatine
- Luke saying "A thousand generations live in you now" to Rey
- Rey saying that she can't get to Exagol because she doesn't have the Wayfinder
- Rey taking out the other Wayfinder from Kylo's ship
- R2D2 restoring C3PO's memory
- Wayfinder being plugged into Luke's X-wing while Rey flies to Exagol
- Finn mentioning a ground team when discussing the battle plan
- Every shot showing/referring to the ground battle on Exagol (there's a bunch of them)
- Palpatine saying that he waited for his grandchild to come home
- Palpatine calling Rey "Empress Palpatine"
- Palpatine talking about it being Rey's birth right to rule because they share the same blood
- Palpatine saying that he wants Rey to kill him because his spirit will pass into her and they'll be one
- Jannah telling Finn that she'll stay with him on the ground
- Emperor telling Rey that with her hatred she will take his life
- Emperor saying that the only Family Rey has, is him
- Emperor telling Rey to strike him down
- Ground troops fighting during Emperor's speech to Rey
- Poe saying "Call off the ground invasion" during the battle on Exagol
- Kylo arriving at Exagol to help Rey
- Finn trying to sacrifice himself for no reason (again)
- Kylo fighting the knights of Ren
- Kylo coming to Rey's aid against the Emperor's guards
- Kylo going to Rey and both facing the Emperor together
- Emperor mentioning the dyad of the force (as there isn't one anymore)
- Finn shouting at Lando from the ground that he knew he'll come through
- Zorri calling Poe spice runner during the final battle
- Kylo lying on the ground next to Rey
- Emperor throwing Kylo in a pit
- Finn plugging in a cable which makes the Star Destroyer destroy itself
- Rose telling Poe that Finn is still on the command ship, while it's going up in flames
- Lando saving Finn and Jannah
- Rey dying
- Finn sensing that Rey died
- Kylo getting out of the pit and force healing Rey
- Reylo Kiss and Kylo dying
- Maz giving Chewie the medal
- JJ's LBGTQ pandering
- Creepy Lando/Jannah scene
- New Crawl Text explaining Luke's absence from most of the movie and making Poe the new General
- Mask repair scene moved to beginning with Emperor's broadcast (and new music)
- While training in the beginning of the movie, Rey has only visions related to her
- Kylo's dialogue in the briefing room changes from mentioning a treacherous spy among them to an unknown traitor sending a message to the resistance
- C3PO's dialogue in the cave changes. The dagger inscription show's not the way to the Wayfinder but is a clue Luke was looking for
- Rey communicates with the serpant through the force, remembering Luke's first lesson in TLJ
- The light coming from outside the cave has a warmer color
- Kylo's ship is not destroyed by Rey in the desert. It's parked in the background as he approaches her.
- Poe leads our heroes to Babu Frik instead of Zorri
- Added "Dark Rey" flashback as Kylo is telling Rey that she has the same powers as the Emperor
- Instead of fighting "Dark Rey", the scene plays out creepier. Dark Rey just talks to her and moves to strike and Rey, startled by the encounter, moves back and falls to the ground
- Kylo's line to Rey on the Death Star changes from "You wanted to prove to Leia that you're a Jedi but you're something else" to "You wanted to prove that you're a Jedi..."
- Instead of Leia calling out to Kylo, he is distracted by Luke, who apologizes for failing him
- Luke is shocked when Rey stabs Kylo. After stabbing him, she remembers how Luke warned her (in TLJ) that saving Ben will not go as she thinks. She leaves Kylo to his fate, running away in tears.
- Moved scene where the Emperor talks to General Pryde before Kylo's scene with Han
- Kylo is redeemed and becomes one with the force after his father asks him to come home
- Luke is not a force ghost anymore ^^
- Luke does not appear to Rey from out of the fire but comes down the steps. He stares at Rey, still a bit shocked from what she did. When Rey sees him, she looks down in shame.
- Different color for Leia's lightsaber when we see her train with Luke
- Rey is not holding the other Wayfinder in her hand while she watches Luke raise his X-Wing. Instead we can assume, that either he told her how to get to Exagol or the location is saved in the ship's system
- Instead of calling Rey "Empress Palpatine", the Emperor just calls her "Empress" daring her to come to the dark side
- The Emperor's line changes from "She will strike me down and pledge herself as a Sith" to just "She will pledge herself as a Sith"
- Inserted memories of the dead (Han, Leia, Kylo) from TFA and TLJ while Rey is thinking of what to do
- Added a line for Rey that she refuses to take part in the ritual
- Added shot of Lando saying "Come on Chewie" right after we see the Falcon arrive at Exagol, instead of him just laughing
- Instead of saying "Zorri, you made it" Poe just says "you made it" referring to Babu Frik
- Different color for Leia's lightsaber when Rey uses both sabers against the Emperor
- Added scene where after Rey defeats the Emperor, she senses Luke becoming one with the force (re-purposed ending from TLJ ACC).
- Leia's body disappears after Luke becomes on with the force. Their bond was so strong that she couldn't "leave" without him.
- Rey's lightsaber staff has a different color
This movie takes a confusing theatrical cut and turns it into a confusing edit, but in a different way. When I watched the original I kind of rolled with it. It has a few moments and a lot of meh. This edit doesn't really fix anything, it just moves the pieces around. Frankly, the whole Kylo Ren arch is the best part of this specific movie, and the way it's handled in the edit, with Rey killing him on the Death Star because of a distraction, is very, very anti-climatic. If I had my way I'd have a version with Kylo both turning AND surviving. Yeah, I'll leave others to wonder how to deal with that sucker. But I just hate that every dark-sider that turns needs to be killed off. I mean, where's the upside in turning to the Jedi's, then? If my prize is dying, might as well ride it out with the dark side.
I did enjoy watching the Rey scene with Palpatine as an alternative ending, but I think I prefer the ending with Kylo Ren in it. In any case, this move is pretty messy and pushes the good will of the audience. The edit, unfortunately, is unable to fix it properly. To summarize, I like the little edits that make the movie more watchable -still no Lea!-, but the big edit is where my biggest beef lies.
I'm just coming off the review for "The Last Jedi" as I watched both of these edits back to back. With the hurdles and hoops the editor had to jump through to make a cohesive story and bring it back to feeling like Star Wars again is something to be applauded. I understand some limitations with Luke on this one, and while it was a bit jarring I can't knock the editors on that as they had no hand in the filming aspect. Again this is the only version of the movie I'll watch from now on. I would really like to see this editor make an edit of "The Force Awakens" to see how they could weave the entire Sequel Trilogy together without any of the unneeded fluff.
Ever watch a fan edit where you immediately realize that if you decide to re-watch the movie ever again, it will be edited version as opposed to the original?
This is one of those.
While my technical knowledge is very limited so I don't feel right speaking on any of the technical aspects, I did find it to be edited quite seamlessly with little to no noticeable changes or flaws in the video or audio.
Definitely would recommend to anybody who found that this last Trilogy was not enjoyable. There are still aspects of it that I still struggle with but I will be watching this version of it as I feel the changes to it as well as the finale to be way more enjoyable then what we originally got. Also important to watch The Last Jedi anti-cringe edit as well, as it does playoff the changes that were made in that as well.
Editing is seamless for the majority of the film. Many of the decisions were moments I also felt were "cringe-worthy" when watching TROS in theaters (Wayfinders and other silly artifacts, Palpatine's clone granddaughter, etc). Even though I don't agree every scene/sequence cut was as "cringey" as others, the overall effect is a much more focused and tighter film that still maintains the core of the story.
I was particularly impressed by the decision to kill Kylo Ren at the Death Star; not only in that it gives the finale more weight as Rey decides to face the Emperor alone, but it also demonstrates a lot of clever editing in the final act to maintain coherency.
The FX work was also impressive. Ren's Tie Fighter in the desert is seamless to me. The "un-Force Ghosted" Luke was convincing (though I have to agree with others that it's hard not to catch that slight invisibility that remains).
In terms of some constructive comments: Finn drops a line "I've never seen so few Wayfinders..." in the desert. I thought the "flirty look" scene at the end between Poe and Zorri was out-of-the-blue. The Wayfinder in the Imperial Vault was strange when all references to it are cut (I understand it's meant to be a nameless artifact, I just couldn't tell why Rey would need it, or get upset when Kylo destroys it).
The scene between Kylo and Han was interesting. I thought the dialogue works in context--as though Kylo's hearing his father's words in death or the two are speaking on some other plain of existence, but I think something in the way of a filter/echo/force-ghost effect to suggest it more explicitly would have helped, because the editing as-is seems as though Kylo got up just fine after the battle and started thinking about Han.
Overall, well done and very deserving of Fan Edit of the Month. I'm looking forward to review TLJ: ACC next.
Before, I should say that I really liked the original TFA and TLJ (minus the casino part) and I have not watched DonKamillo's TLJ.
But I knew the endings of his TLJ edit going in. Luke's and Leia's story was transfered from Don's TLJ, which had choices I do not agree with (personal preference). And lukes ghost effect is hard to undo I guess...
I don't think the narrative is on top. I guess that if you cut away that much it feels empty and forced, or abrubt, in some places. Some cuts even made it wierd. (Lukes ghost, Kylo's non-crash, and several specai effects).
This edit is beautiful and fun! The cuts are seamless and the quality is great. Almost all the cringe and unnecsessary plot are gone. That makes this a fun, fast-paced adventure. It is really worth watching! It is amazing how much crap it is in the original that we did not need.