Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker: Anti-Cringe-CutFeatured
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Documentary of Skellige Island
- OST for Episode VII, Episode VIII and Episode IX
- Custom Crawl Tutorial by DigModiFicaTion
- To everybody for their encouragement and constructive criticism in the edit's forum thread
- To my wife for tolerating this obsession of mine
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Audition
- Different crawl text
- Leia stays dead
- Luke is still alive.
- Multiple scenes that connect TLJ and TRoS (instead of separating them with all the backpedaling)
- The Wayfinder is not needed to find Exagol. It's not plugged into ships and is never mentioned throughout the movie. It only appears once as a nameless artifact when Rey grabs it at the Death Star ruins where Kylo destroys it.
- The Emperor's broadcast is heard at the beginning of the movie
- There is no spy in the First Order
- There's no such thing as lightspeed skipping
- The Falcon is not treated like trash (set on fire, crash-landed etc.)
- Lando is introduced much later
- There's no secret Finn wants to tell Rey
- Appearances and mentions of Knights of Ren are reduced
- There's no force healing
- No "Matrix jump" from Rey
- No invincible Kylo Ren (surviving that crash in the desert unscathed)
- Kylo's ship survives the desert encounter
- Reveal of Chewie being alive comes not right after his "death" but a little later
- Poe is/was not a spice runner
- Zorri's role is reduced to being Babu Frik's assistant/translator
- Poe and Zorri do not know each other before meeting on Kijimi
- No magic coin to get into Star Destroyers
- Poe, Finn and Chewie do not go an a stormtrooper killing spree
- Rey is not related to Palpatine
- Hux is not killed by General Pryde
- There's no hidden mechanism in the dagger
- Jannah's role is reduced. Finn and her do not bond over exchanging old First Order stories
- Rey has not magically learned how to steer skimmers through storms. She is taken to the Death Star ruins by Jannah
- Instead of Leia calling out to Kylo on the Death Star, Luke is
- Kylo dies on the Death Star
- Luke and Leia didn't know anything about Rey's heritage
- R2D2 does not restore C3PO's memory
- There's no ground invasion (aka horses on a space ship) in the battle of Exagol
- The Emperor does not change his mind back and forth on how to deal with Rey
- Rey does not die after her battle with the Emperor
- Different lightsaber colors for Leia and Rey (the one she made herself)
- Kylo murdering random people on a random planet and finding the Wayfinder there
- The whole scene with Kylo and the Emperor (moved to my Definitive ACC of TLJ)
- Boolio mentioning Leia and a spy in the First Order
- Light-speed skipping
- Rey's "Be with me" moment and talking to Leia
- Kylo touching Vader's mask (moved to TLJ DACC)
- Millenium Falcon being on fire from all the light-speed skipping
- An extra shouting "We need a fire crew in the back!" as Rey approaches the Falcon for the first time
- Rey and Poe bickering and talking about spies and light-speed skipping
- Poe mentioning the spy and delivering quality dialogue like "Somehow Palpatine returned"
- Charlie/Merry talking about dark science and Sith cloning
- Rey looking at Leia
- Poe talking to Leia about Palpatine's return
- Rey talking to Leia about the Wayfinder
- Rey telling Poe he was right before (as the bickering scene was cut)
- Rose's excuse to not be in the movie
- Rey saying good bye to Leia
- Storm Troopers mentioning the Knights of Ren
- Kylo's goons analyzing the origin of the necklace
- Lando shooting the stormtrooper and the rest of his scene in the desert
- Everybody forgetting that "They fly now"
- Finn's "Rey I never told you..." moment
- Leia getting informed of the raid on the desert festival
- Rey asking Finn what he wanted to tell her
- Finn mentioning the shifty stuff Poe's been doing
- Crew mentioning Occhi in the desert
- All mentions of the Wayfinder in the cave.
- Rey force healing the serpant
- Knights of Ren standing on a rock doing nothing
- Rey's Matrix jump
- Hux informing General Pryde that they've made a valuable prisoner and (early) reveal that Chewie is alive
- Finn mentioning that the dagger had the location of the Wayfinder on it while discussing with the others what to do next.
- Confrontation/Fight with Zorri Bliss and "reveal" that Poe was a spice runner
- Zorri leading them to the underground blacksmith.
- Finn teasing Poe because he was a spice runner
- Zorri leading them into the backroom of the underground club
- Zorri asking Poe who he's hanging out with that speaks Sith
- Roof scene with Zorri and Poe
- C3PO mentioning the Wayfinder in the translated message, and also saying that the dagger will show the spot
- Poe saying good bye to Zorri and her giving him the magic open-sesame-coin
- Poe inserting the magic coin in Occhi's ship
- Poe and Finn mowing down hords of storm troopers while escaping with Chewie without using any cover
- Poe, Finn and Chewie getting captured
- Poe and Finn being brought in front of General Pryde and sent away to be executed
- Kylo's saying "I can't tell you" to Rey after he asks her if she knows why the Emperor wants her dead and she answers "No"
- Execution scene and Poe, Finn and Chewie finding out that Hux is the spy
- Hux freeing Poe, Finn and Chewie and telling Finn to shoot him in the leg
- Kylo telling Rey that she's Palpatine's granddaughter and talking about their family tree
- General Pryde shooting Hux for being the spy
- Rey saying "All that matters is The Wayfinder" and Finn responding "That's what we're doing"... (some quality dialogue right there)
- Poe crashing the Falcon (again) before our heroes approach the ruins of the Death Star
- Rey discovering the dagger's "hidden mechanism" and finding the specific spot she has to go to
- Jannah telling our heroes that she can take them to the wreck the next day
- Poe talking about fixing the Falcon
- Everybody fixing up the Falcon and Finn and Jannah exchanging First Order stories
- Everybody discovering that Rey took the skimmer
- Rey steering the skimmer
- Finn and Poe getting in a fight for no reason
- Jannah telling Finn that there's another skimmer
- Rey fighting Dark Rey and Dark Rey showing her teeth "Bilbo style".
- Kylo mentioning Leia in front of Rey
- Maz telling us how Leia is preparing to die
- Leia calling out for Kylo
- Leia dying
- Rey healing Kylo
- Everybody standing around Leia
- Poe and Finn returning to speak to the General, just to learn that she's dead
- Emperor mentioning the princess of Alderaan crossing him
- Rose mentioning to Poe that Leia made him acting General
- Rey throwing her lightsaber and Luke catching it
- Luke asking Rey what she's doing here
- Luke saying that he was wrong and that fear kept him on the island
- Luke revealing that he knew Rey was a Palpatine all along and that Leia knew too
- Luke and Rey talking about Leia training her
- Luke talking to Rey that there are some things stronger than blood referring to her connection to Palpatine
- Luke saying "A thousand generations live in you now" to Rey
- Rey saying that she can't get to Exagol because she doesn't have the Wayfinder
- Rey taking out the other Wayfinder from Kylo's ship
- R2D2 restoring C3PO's memory
- Wayfinder being plugged into Luke's X-wing while Rey flies to Exagol
- Finn mentioning a ground team when discussing the battle plan
- Every shot showing/referring to the ground battle on Exagol (there's a bunch of them)
- Palpatine saying that he waited for his grandchild to come home
- Palpatine calling Rey "Empress Palpatine"
- Palpatine talking about it being Rey's birth right to rule because they share the same blood
- Palpatine saying that he wants Rey to kill him because his spirit will pass into her and they'll be one
- Jannah telling Finn that she'll stay with him on the ground
- Emperor telling Rey that with her hatred she will take his life
- Emperor saying that the only Family Rey has, is him
- Emperor telling Rey to strike him down
- Ground troops fighting during Emperor's speech to Rey
- Poe saying "Call off the ground invasion" during the battle on Exagol
- Kylo arriving at Exagol to help Rey
- Finn trying to sacrifice himself for no reason (again)
- Kylo fighting the knights of Ren
- Kylo coming to Rey's aid against the Emperor's guards
- Kylo going to Rey and both facing the Emperor together
- Emperor mentioning the dyad of the force (as there isn't one anymore)
- Finn shouting at Lando from the ground that he knew he'll come through
- Zorri calling Poe spice runner during the final battle
- Kylo lying on the ground next to Rey
- Emperor throwing Kylo in a pit
- Finn plugging in a cable which makes the Star Destroyer destroy itself
- Rose telling Poe that Finn is still on the command ship, while it's going up in flames
- Lando saving Finn and Jannah
- Rey dying
- Finn sensing that Rey died
- Kylo getting out of the pit and force healing Rey
- Reylo Kiss and Kylo dying
- Maz giving Chewie the medal
- JJ's LBGTQ pandering
- Creepy Lando/Jannah scene
- New Crawl Text explaining Luke's absence from most of the movie and making Poe the new General
- Mask repair scene moved to beginning with Emperor's broadcast (and new music)
- While training in the beginning of the movie, Rey has only visions related to her
- Kylo's dialogue in the briefing room changes from mentioning a treacherous spy among them to an unknown traitor sending a message to the resistance
- C3PO's dialogue in the cave changes. The dagger inscription show's not the way to the Wayfinder but is a clue Luke was looking for
- Rey communicates with the serpant through the force, remembering Luke's first lesson in TLJ
- The light coming from outside the cave has a warmer color
- Kylo's ship is not destroyed by Rey in the desert. It's parked in the background as he approaches her.
- Poe leads our heroes to Babu Frik instead of Zorri
- Added "Dark Rey" flashback as Kylo is telling Rey that she has the same powers as the Emperor
- Instead of fighting "Dark Rey", the scene plays out creepier. Dark Rey just talks to her and moves to strike and Rey, startled by the encounter, moves back and falls to the ground
- Kylo's line to Rey on the Death Star changes from "You wanted to prove to Leia that you're a Jedi but you're something else" to "You wanted to prove that you're a Jedi..."
- Instead of Leia calling out to Kylo, he is distracted by Luke, who apologizes for failing him
- Luke is shocked when Rey stabs Kylo. After stabbing him, she remembers how Luke warned her (in TLJ) that saving Ben will not go as she thinks. She leaves Kylo to his fate, running away in tears.
- Moved scene where the Emperor talks to General Pryde before Kylo's scene with Han
- Kylo is redeemed and becomes one with the force after his father asks him to come home
- Luke is not a force ghost anymore ^^
- Luke does not appear to Rey from out of the fire but comes down the steps. He stares at Rey, still a bit shocked from what she did. When Rey sees him, she looks down in shame.
- Different color for Leia's lightsaber when we see her train with Luke
- Rey is not holding the other Wayfinder in her hand while she watches Luke raise his X-Wing. Instead we can assume, that either he told her how to get to Exagol or the location is saved in the ship's system
- Instead of calling Rey "Empress Palpatine", the Emperor just calls her "Empress" daring her to come to the dark side
- The Emperor's line changes from "She will strike me down and pledge herself as a Sith" to just "She will pledge herself as a Sith"
- Inserted memories of the dead (Han, Leia, Kylo) from TFA and TLJ while Rey is thinking of what to do
- Added a line for Rey that she refuses to take part in the ritual
- Added shot of Lando saying "Come on Chewie" right after we see the Falcon arrive at Exagol, instead of him just laughing
- Instead of saying "Zorri, you made it" Poe just says "you made it" referring to Babu Frik
- Different color for Leia's lightsaber when Rey uses both sabers against the Emperor
- Added scene where after Rey defeats the Emperor, she senses Luke becoming one with the force (re-purposed ending from TLJ ACC).
- Leia's body disappears after Luke becomes on with the force. Their bond was so strong that she couldn't "leave" without him.
- Rey's lightsaber staff has a different color
Many of the changes helped but others were a miss for me. Moving the reveal of Chewbacca's survival was effective. And many of the removals helped streamline the narrative (like the Poe backstory and Zori's reduced role). While the thought of removing the wayfinder is good, the execution makes the visit to Endor not satisfyingly explainable. Taking Kylo/Ben out of the fight with the Emperor sounds like a great idea but cuts the legs out of the whole point of how the Emperor could be defeated this time - that it takes the power of the Force dyad. Definitely enjoyable, but the source material really makes this cut less than its potential.
Wow this edit really blew me away! I was watching this movie in it's cinematic edit and I really did NOT like it at all. But this edit is trully wonderful, what a gift from DonKamillo! Thank you so much for making this movie watchable and actually feel the emotions that were intended in the original cut. For every scene where I thought I sensed some contradiction, another scene was either explaining it (Ren standing up with the healed wound and having this wonderful conclusion scene with Han) or was easy for me to find a logical insertion (in a Star Wars sense) into the franchise or at least the sequel canon (for instance Luke being "alive" for me was not an issue since since often enough he had this holo look on him PLUS Ren having this memory or feeling or vision of his father, so why would Ray not have this with Luke as well? It's only her having "contact" with him anyway).
So many incredible chioces wer made, so many cringy scenes were cut, so much more sense and meaning was given to the narrative. No Leia, no horses, no back and forth of the story like in the original cut (where it truly felt like it was written by a whole committee and directed any another committee of directors). This actually makes sense and feels like this is was "subversion" can be in a positive way since there still are unexpected things happening without interrupting the actual flow of the story or ripping the watcher out of the emotional investment.
Great edit ! Just some very very minor audio glitch that I realized between 1.12 and 1.17 with Ray facing Palpatine, the music seems fragmented a bit. Although this is forgivable, it would be fantastic if this could be "repaired" somehow to create an otherwise almost perfect edit for me and definitely go to version of the movie :)
This was a fascinating edit. Having to stick to the decisions made in the previous edit created my biggest issues with this edit... Luke. I'm impressed with what was done, but sadly it's not enough. A new viewer would simply wonder why Luke looked funny and glowy. It's a shame that Lucasfilm gave us no deleted scenes to resource from because the ideas here are sound.
I never minded the Indiana Jones in a Star Wars movie moments, but I admit it works better without it.
My favorite aspect is the treatment/bookend to Kylo in this. That single piece of editing was worth the entire watch. Such a powerful idea, and it simply worked.
Don's editing of The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker even gave me some ideas to tinker with on my own.
Like the previous entry, it's totally worth a look. It's edits like this that make this community so much fun!
I was not a huge fan of the original ROS as I felt, though entertaining, was an overblown, pandering, hyper mess. I could not wait for a fanedit. I have seen a few but none had the nerve to use bigger scissors to cut this mess down. Thank you DonKamillo for making an aggressive stab at this. So much dreck has been cut away, motivations changed and unnecessary subplots cut that I just did not miss. I highly recommend this along with his The Last Jedi for a unique perspective on these very flawed films.
I agree with most of the reviews I have seen and the editor cannot fix everything without access to outtakes and alternate footage so I cut him some slack. To me this edit succeeds on all counts. Thank you for another winner.
This was GREAT! I didn't realize how truly bloated TROS actually was, until seeing how much of it didn't really add anything at all. I thought the editor did a wonderful job of creating a streamlined story that both made sense and pushed the action forward. To be honest, it felt like a really well done hour long tv show that flew by. When watching the theatrical TROS, there was only one moment that made me emotional, and that was when Luke raised the X-wing, I could not figure out why I was emotional over that. My wife then said, "it's the music, the music is Yoda's music and you liked that part as a kid". There were several parts in this edit that had me tear up at the end. It was really quite perfect in the ways that actually count.
I think I could see and visualize the connective tissue that the editor wished he had to work with. There are scenes and call backs that I could imagine a scene added that would have full fleshed out the vision, but the editor only had so much to work with. AND WORK WONDERS HE DID.
the final battle is pretty much flawless, if someone had not seen the theatrical TROS final battle, I don't think they would be able to figure out that this was not the way it was intended to go. So many things just made so much more sense. I also liked that certain things and characters were left in, from a narrative standpoint they made sense. Seeing Babu Frik and Poe's relationship was really cool. I also didn't mind Rose, it made sense that she would be included in some way. Everyone just made sense. The amount of time they were given, where they came in at, and I especially liked seeing how much "fluff" was just removed all together. There were alot of scenes and characters and go-nowhere plot points that needed cut.
All in all, I cannot praise this edit enough. If you are a big Star Wars fan and enjoy fan edits, go out of your way to see this one. It takes the story in exciting, emotional, and fulfilling directions that are both surprising and engaging.
Thanks so much Don, awesome job my friend, truly awesome.