Review Detail

10.0 2 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

In the War for the Star Wars Stars this is undeniably a X with its focus on the love story!

I am reviewing here Episodes II&III as DSQR went for the same methodology in both and I think now they pretty much sit together as one Grand Epic within the Grander Epic. What can I say? Punchier seems about right.... Right in the guts! I get emotional watching the originals as seeing Padme (who reminds me of a lost love) always gleans a tear or two, but one finds oneself truly sympathizing with the choices of Anakin in this setting of the scenes. Added integrity to the protagonists story arc supersequent to streamlining of the sublime actions of the Jedi works a treat.

HDR colouring being all well and good too. Maybe a bit lost on me with my non-4K mobo. I watched the normal ones. Still colour did seem to be an improvement on the Disneyesque splendour of the originals. I'm maybe not up to date on what later editions are out now. Maybe this uses fandomain stuff or MPC-BE is doing something. One thing I will say and its been my gripe all along (and my hope for the Star Wars fan edits to hit on a perfectly unified saga) is that it still needs some retrograding. It looks too clean and gammy - CG things. Some sort of smokey wash, lower contrast, shadow bleed, grain, grit, 80s film effect, whatever it is. Its what's missing. For unifying with The Originals. Something I think is important to sustain the suspension of disbelief. Ideally we should be seeing all the Star Wars films as if through a lens that see far into the distant past of the galaxies. A single lens.

Finally maybe Episode II might be subtitled 'Anakin in the Clouds' and III called 'Promises of Power - Skywalker's Woe' :)

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments