Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith: Reborn
...and so the idea for 'Star Wars:Reborn' arrived.
Other great edits streamline the films down to 90 mins but for me a true SW film should give you around 2 solid hrs of entertainment (ROTS:Reborn is a tad over). So rather than concentrate on reducing the time you spend in this universe, instead I've made sure you'll actually enjoy the time you spend here!
I've made the usual trims to remove bad Digi-Doubles and upped the pace of the Duels in places. I've also seperated Yoda and Kenobi's duels with the sith. This gives Yoda's fight more power, as it no longer feels like a distraction from the main Kenobi vs Anakin thow down. Plus the 'landing-platform' scene now forms a natural breathing space for the audience between the Yoda fight and the final epic duel on Mustafar. Most importantly I have gone through and removed all references to Anakin being called Vader and you do not see him being put into the suit. Because I've created these FanEdits to be watched in Episode order by future young fans... who will still get a mighty surprise at the end of ESB, hurray! (Of course, the clever boys and girls might just work it out! ).
ROTS 2011 Blu-Ray (And bonus disc)
ROTJ GOUT DVD
ROTJ Soundtrack CD
ROTS Soundtrack CD
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II Soundfiles
- Deleted material re-instated and weak dialogue removed to try and restore Padme to the strong character we saw in the Episode I and II.
- All references to Vader removed to save that surprise for ESB.
- All uses of the phrase "Younglings" removed
- Final two Lightsaber duels seperated so the emotional landing-platform scene forms a natural breathing space
- All subtitles partially or completely rewritten (There are only a few in ROTS)
Total - 151 major changes
- 00.00.10 OT Lucasfilm logo used
- 00.03.19 Chattering Vulture-Droids shot removed
- 00.03.38 More Vulture-Droid chatter removed
- 00.04.44 "Let them pass between us" line pushed back
- 00.04.20 More Vulture-Droid chatter removed
- 00.05.20 Buzz-Droid sniggering removed
- 00.05.35 "Move to the right..." line removed
- 00.06.10 "Move to the right..." line removed
- 00.06.24 Two shots of Buzz-Droid attacking R2 removed
- 00.06.28 Anakin coaching R2 and two R2 dueling with Buzz-Droid shots removed
- 00.07.06 Added OT hero music theme for Hanger battle
- 00.07.27 "R2 locate the Chancellor" line and footage removed
- 00.07.28 Droid groaning removed
- 00.07.31 Locating-the Chacellor-sequence of shots removed
- 00.07.43 Grievous-on-bridge scene pushed back
- 00.07.44 'Grievous Slaughters A Jedi' deleted scene partially re-instated
- 00.08.23 "I look forward to adding..." line removed
- 00.08.45 'Escape From The General' deleted scene partially re-instated and audio remixed
- 00.08.45 "Don't fire..." and Grievous leaving re-cut
- 00.08.53 Water-tunnel-escape sequence removed
- 00.08.54 Re-cut shaft-escape sequence to remove all safety-line and greenscreen shots
- 00.08.56 Rotoscoped out "Episode III" stamp from Anakin shot
- 00.08.59 Rest of water/Droid shots and exploding bulkhead sequence removed
- 00.09.18 Shortened Grievous' walk onto the bridge
- 00.09.19 "What's the situation..." dialogue and almost all the rest of the scene removed
- 00.09.25 'Elevator Antics' deleted scene partially pe-instated
- 00.09.59 Rest of the extra elevator footage ang hanger escape removed
- 00.10.19 All footage of R2 hiding from Droids in the hanger bay removed
- 00.10.31 Recut R2 footage and re-dubbed Obi-Wan's dialogue
- 00.10.32 Shot of R2 approaching terminal brought forward
- 00.10.43 Recut R2 footage and re-dubbed Obi-Wan's dialogue and cut more hanger footage
- 00.11.00 Recut R2 footage and re-dubbed Obi-Wan's dialogue and R2's beeps
- 00.11.07 Droids shouting at R2 removed
- 00.11.12 Droids grabbing R2 removed
- 00.11.24 R2 spraying oil removed
- 00.11.30 R2 flying and exploding Droids removed
- 00.11.31 Added footage of lift stopping and remixed Audio
- 00.11.16 Needless digi-double Dooku acrobatics removed
- 00.12.58 Shortened digi-double Obi-Wan falling back
- 00.13.18 Shortened two shots of digi-double Obi-Wan flying
- 00.13.27 Shortened shot of digi-double Obi-Wan being crushed
- 00.14.26 "I shouldn't" line removed
- 00.15.24 "He seems to be all right" line removed
- 00.17.46 Shortened shot so we don't see R2 flying again
- 00.17.58 "Wait a minute..." and "Apparently not" lines removed
- 00.18.23 Droid kicking R2 over removed
- 00.18.37 "The negotiator..." footage removed or recut and Grievous' vocals remixed
- 00.18.38 Droid saying "Excuse me" removed
- 00.19.38 Shots of decapitated Droid still fighting Kenobi removed
- 00.19.44 Shots of decapitated Droid still fighting Kenobi removed
- 00.24.47 Silenced Jar-Jar "'scuse me" line
- 00.25.57 "Don't say things like that" line removed
- 00.26.20 "Your trembling" line removed
- 00.26.06 "Something wondeful has happened" line removed
- 00.26.47 Grievous arriving on Utapau scene pushed back to after Anakin's scene with Yoda
- 00.27.12 "I want to have our baby..." dailogue and footage removed
- 00.30.05 Sexist line about Padme getting fired from the Senate for being pregnant, removed
- 00.34.28 'Changes To The Constitution' deleted scene partially reintegrated and music added
- 00.35.54 "It's upsetting..." line removed and footage re-dubbed
- 00.36.17 "They see your future..." line removed and footage re-dubbed
- 00.36.19 "They see you as..." and "I've sensed that" lines dubbed over long shot
- 00.37.38 Shot of Kenobi shaking his head at Anakin's empty chair pushed back and replaced with later shot of Mace shaking his head
- 00.37.41 Shot of Anakin sitting split in two and Kenobi shot inserted in the middle so our heros make eye contact
- 00.37.44 Start of briefing dialogue redubbed over shot of Anakin
- 00.38.25 'A Stirring In The Senate' deleted scene fully re-instated
- 00.43.52 "What is it?.." dialogue and rest of scene removed
- 00.44.20 Opera scene re-coloured to reduce artificial pink tinting
- 00.51.29 'Seeds Of Rebellion' deleted scene fully re-instated with establishing shot from AOTC added
- 00.51.30 Anakin's second dream removed
- 00.51.31 Padme arriving home scene brought forward
- 00.55.39 'Confronting The Chancellor' deleted scene fully re-instated
- 00.59.30 Lizard CGI-Showreel 360 removed
- 01.00.51 Two shots of Obi-Wan having a think removed and de-robing shortened
- 01.02.01 Several shots of Grievous twirling his lightsabers removed
- 01.08.48 Long shot of Lizard and Bike racing removed
- 01.08.51 Two more long shots of Lizard and Bike racing removed
- 01.09.44 Several shots of Grievous knocking Obi-Wan around removed
- 01.14.20 Shot of Palpatine pausing before he strikes removed
- 01.15.16 Fake looking digi-double Palpatine acrobatics removed
- 01.19.31 "Henceforth you..." line removed
- 01.20.55 "Do what must..." line removed
- 01.23.22 Side shot of Lizard removed
- 01.26.50 Kid's "Master Skywalker..." dialogue removed
- 01.33.55 "Darth Vader" line removed
- 01.35.48 "Welcome Lord Vader..." line removed
- 01.35.54 Silent reaction shot of Guneray inserted and subtle zoom applied
- 01.36.19 Senate sequence recoloured to be much darker, less saturated and more sombre (Less pink)
- 01.36.46 "Not even the Younglings survived" line removed
- 01.37.21 Again Senate sequence recoloured to be much darker etc
- 01.37.59 Again Senate sequence recoloured to be much darker etc
- 01.39.54 "Lord vader" line removed
- 01.40.26 "Consumed by Darth Vader" line removed and footage recut
- 01.40.33 "I don't know where to look" line removed and footage recut
- 01.41.22 "I have seen him... killing Younglings" and "Not Anakin..." lines removed and footage recut
- 01.43.51 'Magic Button' shot removed
- 01.43.55 Two shots of Obi-Wan climbing into a cupboard removed
- 01.44.12 Palpatine's office sequence recoloured to be much darker, less saturated and more evil (Less pink)
- 01.44.38 Shot of Anakin looking at Padme landing on a monitor removed
- 01.44.39 Yoda's arrival in Palpatine's office brought forward, recoloured and Anakin hologram (Plus sound) added to first few frames
- 01.45.23 Palpatine taunting Yoda scene brought forward and again recoloured to be much darker
- 01.45.51 "Not if anything to say.." line removed and "At an end your rule is" line brought forward
- 01.45.52 Yoda flinging Palpatine accross his office removed
- 01.45.55 Shot of Palpatine laughing inserted
- 01.45.58 Long shot of Palpatine acrobatics removed
- 01.46.09 "Darth Vader" line re-dubbed to "My apprentice"
- 01.46.37 Yoda vs Palpatine on the rising column sequence brought forward and again recoloured to be much darker
- 01.47.05 Closeup of Palpatine grimmacing removed and replaced with two recut, flipped and recoloured shots of Palpatine leaping off to the left to evade Yoda
- 01.47.06 Yoda leaping after Palpatine shot brought forward, flipped and again recoloured to be much darker
- 01.47.07 Yoda evading Palpatine's thrown objects sequence brought forward and again recoloured to be much darker
- 01.49.57 "That you killed Younglings" line removed
- 01.51.30 "You're breaking my heart, you're..." line removed
- 01.51.53 Removed "No" line and added force-choke sound FX
- 01.51.54 Shot of Padme shaking her head shortened
- 01.51.56 Shot of Padme again shaking her head and saying "Anakin" removed
- 01.52.00 More Force-choking sound FX added
- 01.53.45 Several Kenobi vs Anakin duel shots removed to better synch with next duel sequence being brought forward
- 01.54.12 The three 'Boardroom Pro-wrestling' scenes removed
- 01.54.13 Damage to Mustafar computer shot brought forward
- 01.54.35 Palpatine's search for Yoda brought forward but "Tell Captain..." line pushed back
- 01.54.43 Yoda organising a lift from Bail sequence removed
- 01.56.02 "Lord Vader" line re-dubbed to "My apprentice"
- 01.57.11 Reaction shot of Kenobi flipped
- 01.57.14 Shot of Kenobi about to leap flipped
- 01.57.16 Mini-Duel swinging from the ropes removed
- 01.59.07 "I have the high ground" line removed
- 02.00.51 Shot of Anakin rolling onto his back brought forward
- 02.00.53 Start of Kenobi and R2 shot shortened to accomodate rolling shot
- 02.01.14 "Obi-Wan, is Anakin alright?" line removed
- 02.01.45 Yoda on moonbase sequence brought forward and Palpatine's arrival pushed back
- 02.02.48 Three opening shots of Anakin writhing around removed from Palpatine's arrival sequence
- 02.02.46 Shot of Anakin beside lava river inserted with Obi-Wan cropped out and Clone audio re-dubbed
- 02.02.52 "He's still alive" line removed and footage re-cut and re-dubbed
- 02.03.14 Palpatine's return to Coruscant pushed back
- 02.03.18 "For reasons we can't explain..." lines removed
- 02.03.22 "...she's lost the will to live" lines removed
- 02.03.44 First cut away to Vader's 'Birth' removed
- 02.04.12 NEWSUB "It's a baby boy."
- 02.04.14 "Luke" and "Helo Luke." lines removed
- 02.04.29 NEWSUB "Push... push..."
- 02.04.36 NEWSUB "Push."
- 02.04.44 NEWSUB "He has a sister."
- 02.04.46 "Leia." line removed
- 02.04.47 Second cut away to Vader's 'Birth' removed
- 02.04.55 "There's good in him" line removed
- 02.05.17 Third and final cut away to Vader's 'Birth' removed
- 02.05.18 Tantive IV's Arrival on Naboo estabishing shot removed
- 02.07.36 'Exiled To Dagobah' scene restored (It was in the UK Theatrical cut but removed in the 2011 Blu-Ray)
- 02.08.10 Vader and Palpatine Star Destroyer/Death Star sequence removed and Tantive IV shot shortened
- 02.08.56 Kenobi on Tatooine finale re-coloured to appear a little less artificial
- 02.10.13 Final cheeky credit for yours truly
TM2YC's Revenge of the Sith: Reborn is a fine addition to the existing array of Star Wars fan edits, and serves as a satisfying conclusion to his Prequel Trilogy.
TM2YC states that his intention for his PT edits was "to make good versions of these films that still felt like the same films in essence." Furthermore — for TM2YC — "a true SW film should give you around 2 solid hrs of entertainment." In this edit, I believe he essentially achieves both these goals.
While the majority of this edit remains true to the original version of the movie, TM2YC does make choices that differentiates his edit from the original in significant ways.
First, he has included most (if not all) of the deleted material from the DVD releases. He also includes a scene from the BD disc, which, while unfinished with regards to technical quality, nonetheless adds narrative depth to the story. Finally, TM2YC attempts to retain the "surprise" that Darth Vader is Luke's father by removing all mention of Darth Vader, as well as the naming of the twins, from the edit.
AUDIO/VIDEO QUALITY - 7
REVIEWER'S NOTE - I have spoken to the editor concerning this issue prior to posting this review; his feeling is that the story he wanted to tell was more important than A/V quality (especially given his desire to use a great many DVD scenes which are SD source). I respect that opinion, and agree that ultimately the story and technical editing are what makes a fan edit enjoyable; however, since this category exists, I must address this issue honestly.
This edit is presented in 1080p HD, with many upscaled-from-SD deleted scenes included.
For the most part, video quality was very good throughout most of the edit. However, I must point out that there are moments (especially during times of great movement or large amounts of action) where there is noticeable degradation of picture quality, as well as visible compression artifacts that are distinctly not what one might experience when watching the original source. Thankfully this mostly is limited to the first 15 minutes or so of the edit, since this is when we have a lot of action and explosions on-screen during the space battle. Yet brief moments of this issue does exist throughout the edit.
Additionally, the visual quality of the deleted scenes varies. Some moments are excellent and to my eye can pass off as HD; others however have a muddied SD feel to them. The most noticeable "deleted scenes" quality problem occurs during the aforementioned inclusion of an unfinished scene from the BD release, which does serve to enhance the narrative (see below for more on this) but nonetheless slightly degrades the overall visual quality of this edit.
With regards to audio quality, it was fine (though surround sound would have been a nice addition, but not a necessity, and I deduct no points for this choice).
VISUAL EDITING - 9
Overall, the visual component of the editing was well done. There were few minor issues I detected, but nothing extremely distracting. While only 10 minutes was cut out of this edit, I found it to be visually well done, and the additional 5 minutes added were for the most part seamlessly integrated.
AUDIO EDITING - 8
In terms of audio editing, I feel there were some noticeable issues, but overall not terrible by any means.
For example, there were some of hard audio cuts, and at least few of them are probably noticeable by non-fan editors. I also noticed one line that was obviously cut off before conclusion.
Generally speaking, most of the audio editing with regards to the musical transitions were well done. TM2YC also chose to add some OT music from ROTJ. Some of these moments worked extremely well, such as the Jedi's arrival on Grievous' ship when they pop out of their ships and attack the droids. Other times, I could take it or leave it. But these moments were not intrusive, and thus to me were an artistic choice that was generally well executed from a technical perspective.
However, some of the audio transitions regarding the underlying score when visual edits occurred (or musical replacements were inserted) were not smoothed out enough to my ear. But these were the exception to the rule.
All in all though, editing Star Wars audio is a very, very tough thing to do, and so I am willing to cut the editor some slack in this area. :-)
NARRATIVE - 8
Essentially this is a very close edit to the original theatrical release; indeed, TM2YC uses the original theatrical crawl to begin the story. Also remember this was one of the editor's up-front intentions (to feel like the "same film" in essence). At the same time, there are some specific differences which I will discuss here in terms of how well they fit in to the narrative.
First, many additional deleted scenes were included. During the opening battle, TM2YC chose to use the scenes where Obi-Wan and Anakin have some joking moments, which did serve to add some levity to their relationship. Unfortunately these scenes have some strange qualities to them.
The first scene shows us the jarring execution of a Jedi by Grievous. The juxtaposition of this event with the immediate playful (and I have to say, a bit corny) "silent signal" communication between Anakin and Obi-Wan (beard stroking, hair pulling, eyebrow swiping, etc) seemed a bit, well, unsettling. The second scene is where Anakin and Obi-Wan are trying to get in touch with R2 and trying to interpret the beeps made by R2 as whether they mean to go up or down. I found this kind of a strange moment as well, as Anakin seemed to be emulating R2's beeps (I guess it's a Jedi power?). While I appreciate the attempt at adding some (much needed) humor to Episode III, and lightening the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, I can see why these specific deleted scenes were deleted. :-)
TM2YC wisely removes the whole R2 and the droids oil-spurting-burning sub-plot. Thank you! He also removes Jar-Jar's single line, another positive change. There were also small edits here and there that seemed to work fine, and either enhanced or had no negative effect on the narrative.
One of the goals TM2YC stated was to strengthen Padme's character by restoring her deleted scenes acting as a senator. From a narrative point of view, this is a success. We do get the feeling that Padme is very much still involved with politics, something that is lacking in the original release. Even though the deleted scenes are not in HD, they do enhance the narrative and thus are a valuable edition in this respect.
Another goal TMY2C states is to provide additional depth to Palpatine's manipulation of Anakin's descent to the Dark Side. One of the ways the editor accomplishes this is by including the aforementioned BD deleted scene where Palpatine has summoned Anakin to tell him he is appointing him to the Jedi Council. The deleted material consists of extending the start of this scene, and I agree with TM2YC in that it provides some very nice dialog and background information that solidifies the feeling that Palpatine has been working hard to give Anakin what the Jedi are not -- a friend who supports and appreciates him and his abilities. It is too bad this scene has been provided to us (by Lucas) in an unfinished format, since I think it definitely is worthy of inclusion with regards to the narrative.
Other nice narrative choices made by the editor include the separation of Yoda's battle with Palpatine to make it an independent sequence. Obi-Wan's final battle with Anakin is already a very long one, and to juxtapose these two battles (in the original) was a very poor choice in my opinion, which TM2YC addresses with this change.
Finally, I'd like to address TM2YC's biggest narrative change -- the removal of Anakin becoming "Darth Vader." I am happy to report that this change seems to fit in perfectly well with the narrative. Now the story merely presents Anakin as a Jedi who was turned to the Dark Side of the force, and became Palpatine's apprentice. Thus the reveal of the Darth Vader in Episode IV retains its full impact as an unknown but evil character.
I am not convinced that the "reveal" is truly safe, but that is really beyond the scope of the review for this specific edit.
In terms of what TM2YC within THIS edit (removing Darth Vader, and also removing the naming of the babies), he has done no narrative damage, and does accomplish the goal that after watching his PT, one will not know that Darth Vader is Luke's father.
ENJOYMENT - 8
Enjoyment is obviously a purely subjective issue. I am happy to report that I enjoyed this edit, and see it as an improvement on the original, which I would probably rate around a 7.
First, for the aforementioned visual quality, I have deducted 1/2 point. I also deducted 1/2 point for the aforementioned editing issues.
Personally, I find roughly the first half to two thirds of the movie a bit boring due to all the politics. I think TM2YCs added deleted scenes help flesh out the politics, but at the same time points out how the politics are a bit confusing, as we now have not just the separatists as the enemy of the Republic, but also the Loyalists (now there are two of them!). For this, I have deducted 1/2 point (without TM2YC's changes it would be a full point, so I do acknowledge that TM2YC improved an element of the narrative that I don't enjoy).
Finally, things I don't enjoy about the original are still mostly intact, which include the Chosen One prophesy, talking droids, the incessant coughing of Greivous and the annoying yelps by Obi-Wan's lizard creature. I deducted 1/2 point for all of these.
All in all, this is a lightly edited version of ROTS that nonetheless improves the narrative by astute cuts and mostly positive additions, while at the same time offering us a well executed and bold change to the story of Anakin Skywalker as represented by the PT.
Very nicely done, TM2YC!
OVERALL RATING - 8
Overall, I think TM2YC did a very good job with this edit. I appreciate his attempt at hiding the ultimate "reveal" for chronological order viewing, and also I appreciate his use of deleted scenes to flesh out the narrative he chose to tell. Plus, along the way, he has displayed some fine editing and storytelling skills.
Nice work, TM2YC!
I can recommend this edit to those who enjoyed the original movie, and would appreciate or are interested in a version that removes (from the perspective of the audience) the plot point of Anakin becoming "Darth Vader."
My one caveat is that one must not expect pristine image quality, and instead choose to watch this edit primarily for the story, which I do think is well executed, and provides an overall different perspective to how this movie fits into the bigger PT+OT story arc.