Review Detail

9.9 167 10
Enjoyment

I just had the pleasure of watching this.

Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Technical stuff:

Top notch menus and DVD design.
Superb picture throughout.
Flawless video editing.
Only MINOR sound quibbles- the (added?) music seemed a bit loud compared with the dialogue in the scene where Luke first discovers Leia’s message. And one of Chewie’s growls seemed to come way out of sync.

Other than that, I agree that the electrified needle was unnecessary. And there’s the scene where Luke and C3PO are in the Landspeeder looking for R2: C3PO is continually gesturing but there is no dialogue (I was hoping for a fix there).

I feel like an asshole even mentioning these things, considering that Adywan has far and away eclipsed any officially released version of this film. Even if he had digitally shaved Chewbacca and turned the Death Star into a giant watermelon, I would still prefer this version. Well, maybe that’s stretching, but one thing is clear: Adywan has put more care and thought into this than Lucas has in any of his restored versions.

This is truly disturbing.

How is it that one solitary fan put together a better version of Star Wars than its progenitor, a man with boundless cash and technical resources?

Again, I’ll have to say the difference here is care and thought.

Adywan’s numerous (and ingenious) editorial and special effects changes have been well documented so I won’t rehash all of them, but my favorite has to be the subtle change at the end- He makes it appear as if Leia has presented Chewie with a medal as well. Brilliant.

I give a 5 of 5 and a slow, long bow of respect to Adywan. The Force is strong with this one.

Download it right now.
J
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments