Star Wars - Episode IV: 2004 Special Edition RevisitedHot
- NTSC DVD-5
- NTSC DVD-9
- PAL DVD-5
- PAL DVD-9
- Size: 1.75gb
- Language: English
- Audio: AC3 448kbps 5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL
- Codec: XVID
- Frame rate: 23.976
- Resolution: 652 X 272
Fanedit Details for the DVD-5 version:
- Release date: 01.03.2008
- Audio: AC3 448kbps 5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL
- Codec: MPEG2
- Frame rate: 29fps
- Resolution: 720 X 480
- Subtitles: ENGLISH, SPANISH
Extras on the NTSC DVD-5
- “Changes & Fixes” subtitle trivia track
- “Revisited” first look trailer
- Trailer # 1
- Final Trailer
- Deleted Scene – Jabba The Hutt
- Deleted Scene – Jabba The Hutt in 3D
- “The Empire Strikes Back Revisited” Teaser Trailer
The Purist Edition:
To please about ALL Star Wars fans, Adywan went back and took out the most drastic changes of his fanedit and set them back to the original scenes from A NEW HOPE. Some “purists were not happy with some of his additions. Of course all these scenes were still color and size-corrected.
– The crawl appears slightly earlier now, as it did pre ANH, so it appears at the correct music cue that Williams’ intended, and how I remember it.
– As the camera pans down to Tatooine you now see the 3 moons instead of just 2
– Tatooine now rotates slightly as the ships fly overhead
– Re-coloured all lasers
– Removed the horrible blue hazing as the stardestroyers engine come into view
– Changed the explosion as the Tantive IV is hit to remove a lot of the smoke.
– Added a jerk to the motion of the Tantive IV as it is hit
– Speeded up the star field in that shot so the Tantive IV seems to be moving as fast as it did in previous shots.
– Colour correction of the whole film to remove the blue tint. The Tantive IV’s walls are now white.
– Re-coloured R2′s dome lights throughout the movie so they match closer to the rest of the saga. The front light now blinks from red to blue.
– Re-edited the Tantive IV corridor battle to fix continuity issues where troopers die more than once.
– Added blaster flashes to all blasters that have them missing as they fire.
– Added blast flashes to the troopers where they are hit
– Corrected issues where the blasters flash as if they were fired on set but no laser bolts were present. Added the lasers to fix this throughout.
– Fixed the jump cut where 3PO & R2 cross the corridor on the Tantive IV & the doorway explodes.
– When Vader enters the Tantive IV a Stormtrooper lets go of the head of a dead trooper but that you can see that the actor slowly lowers his head. This has been fixed and the troopers head now drops at speed more like a dead body.
– Added blinking lights to Vader’s chest plate
– Vader’s eyes re-coloured to remove the red tint.
– When 3PO is looking for R2 a trooper falls to the floor behind him as if he has been shot but there is no laser fire. Added some lasers & a flash as the trooper is hit.
– Smoothed / fixed the jump cut as R2 extends his third leg and heads for 3PO & the one where he leaves 3PO
– Fixed the error in the scene where Vader is strangling Antilles the trooper in the background changes position in one shot. Originally his legs are closed and his blaster is in a totally different position.
– Fixed an FX issue when Leia is hit by the stun blaster the glow effect is missing on part of her dress.
– In the scene where R2 presses the button to open the pod door you now see his arm retract
– Re-coloured the interior of the escape pod to blue due to continuity issues in this scene.
– As the escape pod blasts off it now begins to rotate as it does in the rest of the shots
– When the imperial commander says “hold your fire” the trajectory of the escape pod has been changed so it is heading downwards and away from the ship instead or just heading straight which caused a continuity error in the next shot as we see the underbelly of the stardestroyer , which means it was heading downwards.
– Changed the stars & stardestroyer view from inside the pod so the ship & stars now recede at different rates
– You now see the escape pod enter the atmosphere of Tatooine.
– Every FX shot has been either touched up or redone in some form or another, but too many to mention every one.
– On Tatooine the escape pod canopy has been re-coloured to remove the odd blue colour
– In the some scenes the sky has been changed to match other shots.
– Added the sandcrawler from the OUT to replace the static shots when 3P0 thinks he is rescued
– Completely new canyon wipe so the rocky surroundings that R2 travels through matches closer to what Tatooine looks like in the PT. Also brightened the scene slightly
– Fixed a shot of R2 after he is captured where you see the mark of a restraining bolt before it is attached. In some previous shots it is also somewhat visible but I was unable to fix this.
– Fixed a placement continuity error with the restraining bolt that the Jawas fix to R2
– Added a battle droid to the scrap inside the Sandcrawler. Also brightened up the inside scenes Fixed
– Fixed R2′s eye dome in the shot inside the sandcrawler where it looks like you can see Kenny Baker inside.
– Inside the sandcrawler 3PO’s eyes blink as he stands. Fixed
– Re-coloured the sky in the SE shots of the sandtroopers & Sandcrawler so the colour the sky is less saturated and closer matches the sky we see at the homestead.
– When Beru calls to Luke as they are about to inspect the droids, bushes appear & disappear from shot to shot. Removed the bushes from the shots of Luke to fix this error.
– Removed a wire visible coming out of 3PO’s neck while Owen talks to him at the sale
– Removed the repeated shot of R2 & the red R5 unit to fix a continuity error. Replaced with a new shot.
– Fixed the pink sky effect just before this scene fades out.
– Added the missing glow from R2′s holo light in the garage.
– Brightened & desiderated the sunset scene.
– Fixed the colour problem in the shot where 3PO jumps as Luke activates the restraining bolt in the garage. In the 2004 DVDs this shot was sepia. An example of some very bad colour problems with these DVDs.
– As Luke races out of the Garage to use his macrobinoculars I have added 3PO running out of the doorway to fix an error that he suddenly appears out of nowhere.
– New macrobinocular graphics that add in 3PO. All other macrobinocular graphics changed too.
– Removed the droids tracks from a previous take make it look like it is being pulled along by a cord.
– When Owen shouts Luke the Treadwell droid is in a totally different place than the previous shot and a fly lands on the camera lens. Fixed both issues.
– In the shot where the Tusken raiders see Luke’s speeder travelling through the canyon the speeder suddenly seems to speed up towards the end and looks unnatural. Recomposited the speeder to fix this.
– Re-coloured the sky in some shots when Ben rescues Luke so it is more blue instead of very grey/ white, which it isn’t in the shot where Ben scares the Tusken raiders.
– Smoothed the jump cut where Luke ignites the sabre in Obi-Wan’s hut
– Added the missing ornament on Ben’s table in the shot of Leia’s hologram.
– Added the missing cloak on the wall behind Luke as he ignites the sabre.
– Re-edited the whole “Ben’s Home” not only to fix the continuity errors but also because the conversation about the force and Luke’s father is now all together and flows better instead of being split into 2 separate conversations. It now starts off with the viewing of the hologram and fixes the continuity problems.
– Added a new death Star sequence prior to the conference room scene to give the death star a better reveal. It now orbits a planet in all shots up until it is reported that it is fully operational.
– Changed the torture droids syringe arm. Removed the writings and added a laser effect.
– Mos Eisley approach re-edited. Removed some of the creatures on the first shot & extended the path of the landspeeder so it now fully enters the town.
– Completely removed the Ronto/ Jawa sequence.
– Removed the probe droid hit but the worker droid.
– Removed both Rontos from the checkpoint scene.
– Removed the probe droid from this scene also
– Fixed the ship that flies in front of the vaporator making it look tiny.
– When Luke looks over to the cantina it is heavily cast in shadow but as they approach there are no shadows. This has been fixed.
– Added facial movements to some cantina creatures.
– In the shot where you see Ponda Babba’s severed arm I have removed the blood & replaced the hand with the hoof like one we see him with in other shots.
– More facial movements & blinks for Greedo
– HAN SHOOTS FIRST!! Greedo no longer shoots either.
– Removed the Jabba scene
– As they approach docking bay 94 you see R2 at the side of 3PO but as the camera pans and he goes out of shot you suddenly see him appear again from a different direction, which would be impossible for him to appear so quickly. Fixed this error
– Re-added the fade wipe as they approach the falcon.
– Added the falcons dish in the docking bay shot and expanded the docking bay.
– Slightly re-edited the docking bay shootout to fix some continuity issues
– Fixed the issues with Hans “wobbly” wrist as he fires
– Added the missing middle strut to all the Falcons cockpit window scenes.
– Added the blue glow back to the Falcons engines.
– As the falcon escapes Tatooine it now actually does some manoeuvres instead of “listing lazily to the left”
– New Alderaan for all the viewscreen shots
– New Alderaan explosion
– Re-rotoscoped all lightsabres and fixed Luke’s green & wobbly sabre during the training session.
– Re-composited the holo chess character so they look more like holograms now.
– In close-up shots of R2 the background has the control light from the Death Star interior. These shots now have the correct background.
– Fixed the jump cut as Luke turns off his sabre.
– Added the colour to the remotes laser that was missing from the 2004 DVD’s
– In the scene where Vader says “I told you she would never….” he gestures after he has stopped talking. This has been fixed.
– More asteroids when the Falcon reaches the Alderaan system
– New docking bays for exterior shots to match the new interior ones.
– Removed the blue screen pole that is visible as the Falcon enters the docking bay and the girder crane in the top left which isn’t there when you see the interior of the docking bay
– Added a glow to the shield light to all shots of the docking bay interior.
– Added the censored shot of the officer being hit as they break into the control room.
– Re-coloured the displays in the control room so they are no longer black & white
– The Death Star’s interiors are now metallic grey instead of the horrible blue.
– When Han, Luke & chewy wait at the elevator a trooper walks past them wearing a light coloured uniform but in the next shot it is a dark uniform. Re-coloured the light uniform to fix this.
– Added the censored shot of the officer being hit in the detention cell shootout.
– In the final shots of this sequence a trooper falls down the stairs but only the scenery was hit. The trooper now gets hit.
– In the scene where the stormtroopers are about to blast their way into the detention cell, the elevator door has visible signs that it has been rigged for to blast apart and looks a mess. Fixed this issue.
– New tractor beam matte shots.
– Recomposited the SE shot of the many stormtroopers as Han chases them to look more natural
– New wider shot of Luke & Leia as they swing across the chasm. They now look to be a lot higher up.
– Re-edited the lightsabre duel to give it a faster pace
– The lightsabre impact flashes cover both characters even though it should only be visible in front of the character closest to the camera. This has been fixed
– Removed the visible power cable from the lightsabre up Ben’s sleeve
– As Han & chewy reach the docking bay you can see the shadows of Luke & Leia awaiting their cue. Removed the shadows.
– Replaced the dummy of Ben as Vader kills him. You now see his face and Vader actually slices through him and you see him disappear.
– Removed the bar holding R2′s legs in place when the droids head for the falcon
– When Luke blasts the control panel the door blast door closes, but in the next shot it closes again. This has been fixed.
– As the Falcon leaves the docking bay it originally left very slowly even though the engines ignite and it should have accelerated faster. It does now.
– Fixed the wobbly holotable as Luke gets up to head to the gun port.
– Removed the horribly bad motion blur from the shots of Luke & Han in the gun port as the TIEs approach
– Redone the TIE battle sequence so the falcon no longer appears to be just sitting there and added a few new shots.
– Brand new explosions for TIES in this sequence
– Added a faster moving star field to all interior window shots of the gun port including shots that were missing a star field.
– When 3PO is entangled in the wires after the battle, again the close up of R2 has the death star interior background. It now has the correct Falcon corridor background.
– After the battle you now see the falcon enter hyperspace.
– Added the Hyperspace wormhole to the cockpit sequence.
– The Falcon now can be seen exiting hyperspace as it approaches Yavin.
– In the shot of the Falcon as it flies over the trees on Yavin IV the clouds have been changed to matched the rest of the sequence. I’ve also added the falcons shadow on the trees as it flies over.
– New interior shot of the Hanger bay. Removed the cardboard fighters and given the hanger greater depth.
– Fixed the following flip shots as they step off the transport vehicle.
– New Death Star schematics.
– Darkened the rebel briefing scene and once it is over the lighting becomes brighter.
– New up to date briefing room graphics for the display.
– A lot of the Rebel pilots have Blue insignias on their helmets but there is no blue squadron in the final draft. Re-coloured all blue insignias to red.
– The shot of Yavin & the Death star following the briefing room scene has been changed so that Yavin matches the SE Yavin
– When we see Han loading up his reward the Y-wing in the background is missing one of its engines because only half the ship was built. This has been fixed.
– Fixed the horrible jump cut of R2 as he is loaded into the X-Wing while Luke talks to Biggs & Red Leader.
– Added an extra stripe to one of the high view X-Wing shots to remove the repeated red leader X-Wing shots
– As the X-wing lifts off it now flies forward and not just straight up.
– As Luke leaves the temple you can now see the exterior of the temple from the rear cockpit window.
– Re-edited all Rebel command centre shots to fix issues where the image has been flipped (you can tell because 3PO’s dent on his head keeps swapping sides) Also Leia keeps changing position.
– Added Yavin to the rear cockpit windows of the fighters as they report in and to various shots throughout the battle.
– Ships engines are now again red and not pink.
– Re-coloured R2 so his dome is now blue and not black in all space shots.
– Fixed few flip shots of various pilots during the battle (the microphone keeps swapping sides)
– Added new shots throughout the sequence including a whole new TIE battle sequence
– The rebel command centre table now includes holograms
– The death star countdown clock & viewscreen is also a brand new updated display.
– The window at the back of Vader’s cockpit has been blacked out because there should be no window.
– Fixed issues where ships were missing in numerous scenes in the trench run when they should be in view. This includes both TIES & X-wings
– Fixed the issue with the Trench approach where the shots clearly change from a flat matte to a model shot after the flash and really jumps out at you. It flows together between both sources better now. Also both times we see it they used the same shot. Each one now has slight differences to them.
– When Vader fires at Luke and hits R2 he is actually firing beneath the X-wing but then next shot he hits R2 which would have been impossible. This issue has been fixed
– When R2 Is hit the next shot you can see no smoke or damage through Luke’s cockpit window. This has been fixed
– Added damage to R2s body to match the shot where he is unloaded from the X-Wing later.
– Re-coloured bit X-wing & TIE targeting displays
– A lot of shots throughout the Death Star battle the cockpit shots just have a plain black background. All cockpit shots now show what should be visible outside.
– When Red Leader is killed I’ve you see an explosion but nothing makes it. I’ve added the x-wing hitting the surface.
– Removed all of the “swinging TIES2 seen in the rear cockpit windows. The TIEs now more naturally according to the scene
– A very slight edit to the Biggs death scene. Luke now reacts better to the death of his friend.
– When the Falcon comes to the rescue and hits the left hand TIE fighter the laser both never actually hits the TIE fighter. This has been fixed
– You now see the death star begin to fire as it explodes
– New death Star explosion shot that integrates brand new footage and OUT and removed the shock wave ring.
– When Vader spins out of control you can now see stars through his cockpit windows.
– Chewie now gets a medal
– Brand new end credits that include the Revisited credits and also every member of OT.com that contributed in the forums up until the second week in November 2007
There are also some other minor fixes that aren’t listed, mainly because i have lost track of exactly how much has been done.
– New 5.1 audio mix track with reversed surround channels fixed & a greater surround experience. The imperial march has now been added in places. Includes mainly a remixed 2004 DVD 5.1 audio track with elements of the Belbucus’ restored monomix (many thanks Belbucus), laserdisc 5.1 audio, german 2004 5.1 mix, on set audio and new elements
– There are quite a few differences in this mix but too many to mention so heres a few minor changes:
– The alarm heard aboard the Tantive IV has reverted back to the original alarm that could be heard in the Mono mix.
– When Luke first see’s the holo message in the garage scene Leia’s “help me obi-wan...” lines have now been synced to what you see on screen. It can also be heard throughout this scene and not just when we see the hologram as originally.
– New music mix when we first see the Sandpeople to fix the horrible music cut in the original
– When Obi-Wan scares off the Sandpeople, the Krayt dragon call has been reinserted.
– Original Beru’s voice dub from the monomix . Now sounds more natural than the one we have become use to.
– The fanfare has been reinserted when the x-wings begin their dive to the death star.
– The lightsabres now have a subwoofer channel to give extra depth
– A few alternate dialogue changes taken from both the mono mix and on set audio
– As Luke and leia reach the chasm there is a shot of the stormtroopers as they follow them and you can hear a laser blast but no one has fired. this has been removed.
– During the falcon / TIE dogfight there are a couple of instances where you can hear the sound of an X-Wing. these have been removed and the correct TIE engine sound can now be heard.
Cover art by Savage (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Cover art by OBtwosy (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Cover art by DoubleOFive (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Cover art by Sky (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Cover art by AvP (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Cover art by Owen Lars Kenobi (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Cover art by Jean Carl & Raven SP (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Cover art by Reccondil (DOWNLOAD HERE)
Adywan Radio Interview (Part 1)
[Type of Video such as Teaser, Trailer, Clip, etc.]
Adywan Radio Interview (Part 2)
Seriously amazing. A New Hope now is basically unwatchable. The only other edit of Star Wars that comes close is perhaps the Despecialized Edition (only because it's HD). But I have to say this edit is stellar. The color correction is utterly just breathtaking. The Death Star interior is now grey, and many other changes. The new backgrounds and effects are amazing and makes this movie look perhaps from this century.
The music additions are great, a tad bit out of place hearing The Imperial March here but it fits the theme and I love it!
Only problem I think is the fact that this isn't in HD. Once you complete Revisited HD, this will get 11 out of 10.
Great job Adywan!
ANH:R makes one of my favorite movies ever even better. The reason audio editing is not 10 is because of the addition of "Battle of the Heroes" to Vader vs Obi-Wan, and the Imperial March in a couple of scenes, which in my opinion simply don't belong in this movie. That's why the "PURIST" version gets a 10/10. Fine job Adywan. If I was going to be 100% unbiased, it would be a 10/10.
The only way to watch ANH is via Adywan. I dont think i can add too much more to what people have said already; suffice it to say this is a true labor of love and a testament to what the entire concept of fanediting is really suppoosed to be about. Too many fanedits suffer from fenzied, wild-eyed cutting for its own sake, due to millenial attention spans requiring 2 seconds a shot, or an otherwise "lets get on with it" mentality. The best fanedits out there seek story above all.
What is really fascinating about this edit is Adywan's clear and utter love for the source material; this really is an enhancement, not an edit. As someone who grew up in the 1980s knowing every frame, visual and audio tic, and flaw in lucas's original vision it can be jarring to see what he's getting up to conceptually here, but having seen this a number of times its starting to all blend together.
I understand the furor by purists, but have zero problem with the musical cues. All of the additions from the SE are tastefully realized, and the things we loved so dearly about the original cut (han shot first, et al) are absolutely and totally right there. The best move was finally doing something about Ben's disappearing lightsaber in the duel (something that's always bothered me) and sorting out some of Lucas's original editing oversights, audio discrepencies, etc.
Adywan uses his editing skills in the best way - to draw attention away from the very concept of editing. Its invisible. Compared to lots of films (fanedits and not) that insist on self-consciously making editing a "character" instead of a means to an end, Adywan keeps the editing ego under control. Unless youre Scorsese/Schoonmaker, or Tarantino/Menke, or any of the great editing teams who have mastered the art of self-consciousness in editing, and need it as a story tool, keep it invisible.
9 for visual. Waiting for Adywan's HD release! In the meantime, from here til the end of all things to conceive of watching ANH sans Adywan's edit is inconceivable. Lucasfilm, give this man a position! You couldnt have a better source of evidence of competency than this film (except maybe Adywan's ESB!)
Adywan is THE MAN. No seriously, he took all the good in this movie's original and Special Edition versions and kept them, tossed out all the bad, and spent YEARS creating better special efforts-- REAL AND PRACTICAL-- to result in the best goddamn version of this movie I could imagine. He's even spent YEARS on Empire and eventually will Jedi, all for us Star Wars fans to have the truly best damn movies possible. I would hug him if I could.
There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. The story is better with a few small edits to Obi-Wan's story to Luke about his father, the special effects look naturally better, and jeez the duel between Obi-Wan and Vader is now EPIC with a musical score behind it! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT. The only complaint I'd have is I'm still waiting to see what Adywan's Empire and Jedi Revisited versions will be like!! 1,000,000 out of 10.