splitunbreak_front
FanMix August 09, 2021 7025
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I haven’t been at this very long, but I’ve already seen some tremendously creative edits from very talented editors. Split Unbreakable Glass is the epitome.

I find M. Night Shyamalan endlessly frustrating. He has great directing chops and interesting ideas, but he can’t seem to get out of his own way. My favorite of his films is Unbreakable, but I liked elements of The Village, The Visit, Signs and The Sixth Sense. He’s an auteur in need of a collaborator, Bergman without Nykvist. After watching this edit, I’m convinced what he’s missing is an editor.

M. Night Shyamalan’s best film is this one.

As a radiologist, I’m trained to notice details, so there were a few transitions I picked up (literally a few), but that‘s the only thing I can criticize about this film. Wraith has taken one great film, one good one and one poor one and crafted a masterpiece. One of Shayamalan’s most effective scenes is the car accident flashback in Signs. This whole cut plays like that. Everything is stitched together for maximum effect, and each cut drives the narrative forward without giving too much away. It’s just riveting.

Watch this. It’s excellent.

Thanks to Wraith for linking me.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply March 06, 2022

As always, thnk you for the kind words and I'm so pleased you were rivited by the narrative.

M
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments