FanMix August 09, 2021 6991
(Updated: November 20, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Frankly, I'm stunned. I remember finding the forum thread for this project and thinking "There's no way this is going to work." IMO, movie mashups rarely work as well as intended; they're sometimes fun, but often they almost never feel like a cohesive whole. But in this case, I could not have been more wrong. It helps that the films combined here are from the same director with a distinctive visual style, but this is some truly masterful work from Wraith combining them into what actually feels like a single narrative. I wasn't really a fan of these movies on their own. Of the three, I prefer Split (since I'm a horror head), but even that was a lot of time to spend in a pretty gross situation. But Unbreakable was so slow and dour, and Glass just did not work at all for me. This, though? This rules. I doubt I'll ever watch the original films again since tells the story of the trilogy in a much more satisfying way. It's largely the same, btw. There are some changes and some surprises for sure, but I don't think it radically alters the bones of the story Shyamalan was trying to tell. Even if you are a fan of the original films in their entirety, though, I think you'll still get something out of this. It truly is a masterclass in editing, and the graph for where to put all these elements in the edit must have been labyrinthine.
Yes, it's non-linear, and yes, it's broken up into "chapters." Again, I wouldn't expect to work, and it's a testament to how much thought and care Wraith put into this that it works as well as it does, which is very well indeed. Not once did it feel disjointed, and that's a bit of a miracle. Early on in the edit, I noticed a shot was slowed down, which I found a little distracting, but then it kept happening, and it started to feel like a stylistic choice, one that gives the film (along with some subtle score work) a kind of Lynchian quality that matches quite well. I hesitate to say more because I don't want to ruin any surprises, but suffice it to say that this should be essential viewing for anyone truly interested in fan-editing. It's one of the best (and most-labor intensive) I've ever seen. Get the full-resolution version if you can; it's top quality, and I noticed no issues with the audio or video.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply November 21, 2021

Thank you for the generaous review. I'm so pleased this brought something new to these films for you and that you did not let your skepticism stop you from watching this. Hopefully others will follow...I so want to share this so people can see what M. Night had hidden away in these...

Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
November 20, 2021
Hands down, technically and narratively one of the best, if not the best, fanedits on the site. You should check out the making of...documentary and if you are very nice to Wraith, there may be even more to share.
A
artisdead
November 20, 2021
Oh, absolutely! I watched the making of right after I finished the film. It was pretty mind-blowing.
P
plurmonger
2 results - showing 1 - 2