shuri_front
FanFix May 09, 2023 1191
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This edit was a joy to watch. An absolute improvement over the bloated original. When it comes to the audio and visual editing, I did not personally notice anything that was off except for the battle of Namor and Shuri. It did feel choppy to me, but on the other hand I prefer the choppiness versus the theatrical version. Focusing on those 2 characters helped improve the narrative. This was a tradeoff between the narrative versus technical aspect of the movie.

I largely agree with many of the other reviews that tremault's condensing this movie to focus on Shuri's struggle with family and loss really helped elevate this movie. Why exactly Marvel could not make this obvious decision - particularly after the unfortunate passing of Mr. Boseman truly befuddles me. I also felt the editor would have been better off leaving the message regarding his death after the final scene of the movie versus after the mid-credit scene. It was a bit of an awkard placement.

In terms of Riri, removing her to the extent possible was a great decision. Here you have a character who was intended to be portrayed as an intellectual prodigy, is introduced to the audience in a way that makes her come across very poorly. I mean, throwing objects at a princess of a superpower country does not come across as intelligent to me. I think trimming or removing a portion of the throwing objects at Shuri would help further minimize her poor portrayal.

Going further, I wonder if further trims and cuts can help minmize other areas of the narrative that simply were incoherent. We see plenty of convoluted and contradictory behavior from Namor. He makes various threats, but does not really act all the way through. Another reviewer mentioned the failure to kill Ruri - not just when she was a hostage, but also during the invasion of Wakanda. Why would he also leave Shuri alive when he could easily kill her? He instead reiterates a demand for an alliance after murdering her mother in cold blood. I think of some of his lines throughout the movie should be removed to minimize his contradictory words versus actions.

The editor correctly made the decision to cut down on the excess and filler content involving the American intelligence operatives. I wish they would be removed completely considering they added nothing to the movie and came across as a bit clueless - I mean they blame atrocities on the Wakandans with questionablle circumstantial evidence.

Overall, the edit turned this movie into a solid and fun watch. My personal dream edit of this movie, which is likely not feasible, would be to maintain near total focus on the family relationships while briefly showing all other content briefly to provide brief background information. The tighter it is, the better.

I want to thank tremault for sharing her edit and for the hard work. Making a subpar movie decent is not an easy task. I recommend others who have this to give it a shot, particulary those who had problems with the original to see if this fixes many of problems, which it does minimize in large part.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply March 16, 2024

Thank you so much for the great review! You made some great points and I will take steps to address them. The memoriam message for Chadwick, I will move that. I'm surprised I did not already do that to be honest, I guess it was the mismatch between text and AV elements that made it invisible to me during the process.
I'll look at removing Riri throwing objects, I was so concerned with removing the major sequences of her that I didn't do much fine tuning to the sequences of her that remain. Similar with Namor, I didn't analyse his dialogue to see any consistency problems. If you had noted down any specifics I'd really appreciate any notes you may have.
I'll also have a good think about whether Ross and the authorities can be removed completely. All this will be addressed to some degree when I obtain physical media to replace my digital version. Thank you!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments