Rogue One: The Battle of ScarifFeatured
- NTSC DVD-5
- NTSC DVD-9
- Blu-Ray (BD-25)
- First scene of the film is the confrontation between Krennic and Darth Vader, with some adjusted dialogue for Vader.
- The Rebels will still bicker over going to war, but this stuff will be trimmed. As will Cassian’s super long monologue about the Rebellion.
- I never found myself that invested in Rogue One’s characters to begin with, so a number of “character” scenes and lines will be adjusted. The main focus of the edit will be the battle itself and the actual recovery of the Death Star plans.
- Insertion of classic Star Wars music cues from John Williams. I’ve been going through the entire saga OST and will be dropping tracks where appropriate. Most people have agreed that Giacchino’s score just didn’t cut it. Not that I totally blame him; apparently he had 3-4 weeks to write and conduct everything.
- Various SFX enhancements. This is big. Because I’m adding new music cues throughout the film, this means that I have to remove some of Giacchino’s cues. Unfortunately the music sometimes bleeds across the 5.1 audio channels with the sound effects, meaning that I’ve had to rebuild the sound design for entire scenes where John Williams’ music is now. This has been by far the most time-consuming part of the edit, but thankfully there are some really great Star Wars SFX libraries online that I’ve been able to use for this.
- A light sprinkling of those old-school wipes and transitions from the other Star Wars films. Why not?
- The film ends with Vader slicing and dicing Rebel scum, and watching as the Tantive IV flies away. Leia’s scene has been cut.
So this take on R1 is a little love/hate scenario for me, personally.
Do i recommend this edit? For sure!
To explain myself a bit more in depth:
I was very fond of the theatrical cut of R1 even with its slow pace and some unnecessary "plot" points, so i thought: "how interesting is that, a cut only to take place in the last hour?" I´d had to adapt to this cut and see it as it is intended - a fast firework before a anh. Once i did, quite awesome.
Only let down was the audio as mentioned from other reviewers.
- No boring beginning and middle parts of the movie. You start right at the good part!
- No boring characters. They aren't important to the overall story of Star Wars.
- One of the best battle scenes in Star Wars shown at its best.
- Great way to lead into A New Hope. See it as an Add-on to Episode 4.
- Vader has 1 voice line that sounds much worse compared to his other words/sentences.
- Sometimes the music is to loud, you can barely hear the voice acting.
This is one of the best ways to watch Rogue One in my opinion. It's short, it's sweet and it's EPIC! It really shows you what the WAR in Star Wars stands for. It kind of reminds me of the good parts of the Clone Wars, but better! All in all, give this one a watch. With a playtime of around 50 minutes, this one should be on anyone's watch list.
First of all I really enjoy this edit for many reasons. I love that now if I want to watch the saga in order it serves as the perfect gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. While I do really enjoy the main characters of the film, they are relatively unimportant to the Skywalker saga. You don't need to see their arch or journey in the film for this reason. Yet you still have Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Vader, Leia, and Tarkin in the film making it worth watching if you want to watch the saga in order.
OVERALL PROS: It is a great edit worth watching especially if you just want rogue one to be an interlude between Episodes 3 & 4.
It makes the film even better if you watch a ROTS edit with the deleted scenes about the formation of the rebel alliance.
I loved the structure of the film most of all. Starting with Vader and ending with him was a superb idea.
The opening crawl is much needed and fits amazing.
CONS: I think the scene of Chirrut's death is moreso ruined with the audio editing during the scene. The added music for most of the edit for me is out of place and felt unwelcome. This is basically the only gripe I have even though it is a MAJOR one in my opinion.
The edit is a great edition to the site. Thanks eldusto!
I LOVE IT! Adding to my Rogue One Blu-ray case! Great to play before watching New Hope!