FanMix June 15, 2021 2313
(Updated: July 22, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a truly excellent edit that sadly doesn't seem to be getting too much attention. Maybe that's why most editors choose to concentrate on doing blockbuster edits: those are the ones the majority of people like to watch. As for myself, I love out-of-the-box choices such as this, taking a film that's a pretty powerful drama to begin with and turning it around in a way that makes it even more powerful. Gone is the Avery story, which is good stuff but wouldn't fit here, and what remains highlights the parallels between the father and son stories to make both of them work even better than as separate. Some lines even get a new meaning: "the bike is part of the family" so close to the last scene is a stroke of genius. If anything, I would have desired to have the story cut back and forth between the crib scene and the house party in order to have Luke hitting Kofi and Jason attacking AJ a bit closer to each other, but that's nitpicking and the structure works fine as it is.

Audio and video quality are flawless overall and the editing itself is masterfully realized. However, there's one flaw that stood out like a sore thumb in this otherwise so carefully crafted work: that closeup of Avery's photo in the wall is in the wrong aspect ratio and goes over the black bars of the edit (think unintended Imax). Guess the editor forgot to mask it before rendering.

This is the first thing I've seen from Heavisyde, and damn, this guy can edit. Highly recommended.
Owner's reply July 25, 2021

Thank you for a very positive review. You are correct, I had forgotten to fix the aspect ratio for that zoom in shot, Thanks for pointing it out, I'll have that fixed in the future.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments