FanFix November 30, 2022 942
(Updated: October 26, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This was a pretty solid edit! You took some chances and almost every one of them paid off really well.

The small changes you made throughout, the character choices in the dialogue, the more linguistically accurate subtitles, all greatly improved the experience. I can almost hear the annoying executives commenting on the dialogue and forcing changes ("'Finish her' sounds like Mortal Kombat, and do we really need the cripple line?"). I really appreciate your attention to detail.

I initially disliked the subtitle font and the title cards but they grew on me, and by the end I thought they were a pretty great fit. I'm still not sure about the small clip-art pics but I don't mind them.

The narrative changes were good, especially moving O-Ren and the 88 to the last third of the movie, kept the rising action flowing. I didn't love the intercut of Nikia seeing her mom dead just as Beatrix is being reunited with her own daughter. It was a big mood dampener, but I imagine that's what you were going for ("revenge goes round and round" sort of thing). Also I was surprised how I didn't miss the anime, considering I actually really like that part.

I can understand if not everyone can do it in one sitting but overall this is a great way to spend 3.5hrs! Excellent work!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments