FanFix January 27, 2023 2671
(Updated: June 11, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Here we go again, another review for one of my favorite faneditors!

Regarding the two original versions of the films, I think I saw the theatrical twice and Snyder's one time. I enjoyed the theatrical to a certain degree, but I loved Snyder's version, obviously. My two gripes were the numerous future teasers that we are never going to see come to fruition and the 4 hour runtime. 4 hours is a lot, especially if you have a job. Glad I saw it, but bad for the occasional DCEU marathon, which is what I did now in preparation for the Flash movie.

The changes are obviously a lot, Wakeupekeo cut an entire hour of the film, and to be honest I can't really remember exactly what was cut, so I will just comment in general about the editor's version and then write about a couple of things I wish were also cut. So, the edit was awesome! The fact that the editor managed to cut down one hour and combine skillfully some scenes from the theatrical cut with Snyder's, is simply phenomenal. But I expected no less from Wakeupkeo. With the exception of one scene, that I will mention in the negatives, the cuts were seamless and I couldn't understand what was missing at any given time! Also, ----------- SPOILERS ------------ major props for putting Tomar-Re and Kilowog at the mid-credits scene and making it look almost like it was there from the start!!

Now, for the negatives. The first two are purely subjective, you'll see why. One of my biggest gripes with the DCEU was that we didn't get all the solo films before JL. And don't get me started on the premature death of Superman, but that's all done and dusted and nothing any faneditor can do about it without ruining the continuity. So, what I tried to do with this marathon, was watching Wonder Woman first, which can be done because it's in the past, then MoS, BvS, SS (wakeupkeo's edition), and then I wanted to watch Aquaman (wakeupkeo's edition) before JL. The reason I tried that with Aquaman was because the editor removed the connection with JL, more specifically the line Arthur says about defeating Steppenwolf, and because I was planning to watch this edit for JL, which is from the same editor, I was hoping he removed the two scenes that put JL before Aquaman. Unfortunately, to my great disapointment, he did not..These scenes were with Aquaman meeting Wulko and Aquaman meeting Mera almost right afterwards, (maybe there were more in the original 4 hour version, but here these were the problem). I know this is not the only issue, there is another plot hole that gets in the way, and that is that his mother's trident is not cut in half (but let's say he could have fixed it or something) and that he is not using the king's trident in such an important battle. To be honest, I could live with having a different color trident, whatever, but having the characters acting like they don't know each other forces me to watch Aquaman after JL..

Two things that I don't remember if they were in the original movie or if it is the editor's choice and I found them a bit much, was the overuse of the Amazon lamentation song and the volume of the voices in CGI characters, For the song, if it was used a couple of scenes less it would be great and also, at the very start of the movie, there is this wiiiide shot of the landscape of Themyscira and the dome and we hear very clearly horses running. And I was like, where are they?? I managed to spot them at the very end of the scene and still, they were really really small. So, the crystal clear sound with how far they were, didn't match for me. The other thing was that voices of the CGI characters, like Steppenwolf and De Saad, were really loud compared to the rest of the film and even compared with the action scenes.

One weird looking scene, was the beginning of the mid-credits. It seems that something is really off for the characters that we see from afar, but when we get to the close up though, it is excellent!

So, that's my two cents on this edit! For anyone who has the same issues with the original, like that it's too long in general or that it needed some trimming or the numerous future teasers, I believe that this is the edit for you! I know it will be for me!

Thank you Wakeupkeo for all your hard work and thanks to anyone who read this review!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments