Review Detail

9.2 18 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This was a pleasant surprise. I stumbled upon this edit after reading the review by Destined Spaghetti and it intrigued me. Some thing on display here are very impressive. The tubes, Indy shooting the gun himself and the ending are all top tier editing skills on display.

Overall I'd say this Indy edit is a huge improvement over the original, which I would probably give a 6 or 7 in narrative and enjoyment. It was great fun and definitely worth your time.

Here are some more in depth thoughts:

- The lack of muzzle flashes never really bothered me, because I don't think Indiana Jones is the epicentre of realism. But it does make the scene look better in comparison!

- When indy says 'You're not from around here, are ya' it feels weird to me without the 'are ya' part. I think Irina's pause is too long for such a simple question.

- When Irina gives Indy a gentle slap is something I think feels a bit visually choppy with Indy's face suddenly at a different angle. It's an improvement, but not quite perfect.

- Indy shooting the guard in the foot was brilliant. Absolutely genius.

- The idea to have Indy screaming when stumbling in the fridge is amazing and something that would instantly improve that scene for any edit. It adds some lightweightedness to it to help you suspend disbelief. Smart! That said, I still think the explosion killing the russians in the car is visually very ugly and I wish it was cut. Then it would be the very best cut of the nuke sequence possible. ( in my own humble opinion )

- I didn't like that you kept the alien dissection in the camp. That scene is just a bad scene as is ruins every mystery surrounding the skull. The aliens are one thing, but showing them so soon and so close up robs the audience of their own imagination.

- When Spalko asks 'so dr Jones you will help us?' after pointing a gun at Marion, the overhead shot that follows shows Marion talking without any dialogue. I like the pause for dramatic effect the overhead shot gives, but Marion's mouth did take me out of the moment for a bit because I wasn't sure if I was having an audio problem.

- I really dislike the whole wedding dialogue in the truck. This is just a matter of opinion but I dislike it.

- 'They weren't you, honey' feels off because the music skips a beat because you removed the 'honey'. I agree with the decision to cut that word, but the audio makes it a noticeable cut.

- Wish you had cut Mac screaming 'Joneseyyyy' like a happy toddler during the jungle chase. It makes no sense, even IF he is a double agent lol.

- The monkeys cut is very creative and definitely miles better than the original. It's funny how all these different edits have come up with different solutions for this particular scene.

- The waterfall sequence was edited very nicely. Anyone that hates three waterfalls will be pleased.

- 'What are you, a Triple Agent?!' line is still there lol. I'm still not sure if I like it for how stupid it is or if I hate it for how stupid is it.

- Now for the part that intrigued me the most, The ending! The ending is terrific and creative. Visually unique and unlike any other edit out there. I would personally prefer the alien itself to still be removed completely and just show the (and this is an incredible idea from the editor I cannot stress this enough) staredown between Irina and the Skull close-up, which was a great callback to Indy and the Skull staring down!

Overall, a great edit to a not so great movie and definitely recommended for anyone who dislikes the original. Thank you.
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments