hulkcontrol_front
FanFix August 14, 2021 4856
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Hulk: Struggle For Control is such a fascinating edit to me. The two edits of TIH that I've seen thus far (Tomahawk's re-imagining and the subsequent version by Lapis) have objectively different goals, but both succeed on their own terms. However, I think that Lapis may have made the definitive Hulk film. Containing a measured balance of character, action, and fluid pacing, this morphs into an end product which is neither lightning-pace action film as in the theatrical cut or as lingering as some of Tomahawk's edit can be. The upscaled deleted scenes fit in nicely with the narrative structure so well that it barely crossed my mind they were removed at all. The removal of Bruce being unable to have sex because of hulking out was a welcome change. I will always have a bit more appreciation of Edward Norton's take on the character, as he fundamentally understood how Bruce is a tormented and deeply wounded man who wants to do better things for the world but can't because of his condition which he's struggling to get rid of. This edit really solidifies that opinion. Some minor nitpicks might be cutting the scene with the scientist who tells Bruce to not fear his power, or interacting with the college students at the university. However, I'm really just stretching for feedback and understand that pacing needed to be consistent. This will certainly be the version of the 2008 film I'll be revisiting in the future. Great work.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
M
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments