Review Detail

10.0 9 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I really enjoyed reading the HP books as they came out but gave up with the films after the first three - although the design work was superb I didn’t enjoy some of the characterisations and lost/curtailed plot points in the transfer from page to screen (and I found a lot of the children’s acting to be flat and wooden, which didn’t help). My daughter however adores the films so we ended up owning the entire series anyway!

As I’m currently rereading the series I thought I’d give the movies another chance after hearing about the extended editions, but then I saw almightcutie’s fan edit entries - after watching The Sorcerer’s Stone I wouldn’t say I’m a convert to the films, but they *have* done an excellent job in trimming a lot of the bits I wasn’t keen on and making some characters (namely Ron & Hagrid) more like their literary counterparts.. All the edits are expertly done and without the Changes list in the fan edit entry I don’t think I could point out specific changes; they really are seamless. The film flows along nicely without any hiccoughs.

There is only one very minor issue I can highlight: the sound levels are a bit low - while my normal volume level is around 50% I had to increase it to around 85% while watching this cut to achieve the same listening experience. I’ve not docked a point for this as I have functional volume controls and the audio was fine once I’d turned it up :)

I’d definitely recommend this edit, and I’ll be introducing my daughter to it as an alternative to the Blu-rays.

(Watched on a virtual cinema screen via Quest 3 VR headset using Skybox media app)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments