Ghost in the Shell 2017: Lean & Mean EditionFeatured
1) Enjoy the Silence by Ki:Theory
2) Utai IV_ Reawekening by Kenji Kaway
2) Early apparition of the villain was deleted to add suspense.
3) The scene with the geishas was shortened to eliminate Batou's silly lines.
4) Credits scene was rescored using Kenjy Kawai music. Also, now the title of the movie appears only once during the sequence.
5) Debriefing scene was edited and shortened.
6) Scene with the Major and Aramaki was deleted.
6) Scene with the Major and Oulet was heavily altered to eliminate silliness.
7) Scene with the Major, Batou and Dr. Dhalin was altered to eliminate, once again, silly lines (ex. "She's being hacked!").
8) Action scene in the nightclub was heavily edited so that the Major always appears in control of the situation.
9) Scene with the Major and Oulet was heavily edited to eliminate instances of lines of dialogues deemed too on the nose or that referenced the name "Mira".
10) Scene in which the Major meets a prostitute has been eliminated.
11) Fight scene in the pool of water has been shorted. Also, the chase sequence that comes before has been shortened too.
12) Interrogation scene briefly shortened to eliminate the suicide of the prisoner from the cut (needlessly edgy).
13) The Major's explanation of the villain's objective has been eliminated, to add suspense. Also, the villain himself explains what he's doing just a few minutes later.
14) Dialogue between the Major and Kuze lightly trimmed.
15) Flashback sequence added using scenes cut from the beginning of the movie. These too were altered to eliminate the name Mira.
16) Dialogue between Batou and the Major on the boat slightly edited to eliminate silly line ("You are a corporate man").
17) Dialogue between Oulet and CEO of Hanka heavily altered to eliminate, yet again, on the nose lines.
18) Subsequent scene involving drugged Motoko and Oulet heavily edited to add suspense. Now it truly seems like Oulet is killing the Major by injection of a fatal substance.
19) Cutter's (CEO of Hanka) line deleted.
20) Entire subplot involving Motoko's mother deleted. Last scene from the movie, in which the Major visits her own tomb, moved here.
21) Dialogue between Kuze and Motoko lightly trimmed.
22) Cutter's line shortened (eliminated the part where he says "You freak!").
23) Death of Cutter re-edited to, you guessed it, eliminate unwanted silliness ("I give my consent").
24) Last apparitions of Motoko's mother eliminated from the movie.
As much as I enjoy the unfairly maligned 2017 film adaptation of the Ghost in the Shell manga, this leaner and tighter fan-edit outdoes it in my opinion. Every change made is 100% smart and justified, it really improves the pacing -- which is kind of amazing since the original cut is an already well-paced film -- and somehow even manages to better capture the spirit of the original source material. Really great stuff.
To be clear I have not yet delved into the gits franchise or watched the original live action film. In fact, I have only seen the animated film that started it all. I liked the themes of the animated film, and it's imagination for what it saw in our potential future.
When it comes to live adaptations, I am not one of those that likes them only and only if they are extremely resembling their original materials. I am more than happy if they are crisp, and have interesting things to say. Another thing I dislike is when they are westernized, especially if being adapted from eastern media. A good example of this is the death note adaptation in 2018. In westernizing media, it is made generic, and in my opinion loses what makes it unique.
Now that that is out of the way, when I saw the beginning of this film with the intro and all, I was like "Holy shit!!!" I found myself enjoying the themes portrayed, and the questions posed by the movie. I also, loved how to the point and concise your edit was. It was streamlined. There were some cuts that were noticeable, but they didn't break my flow of the film to a halt. I really do believe that based on the noticeable cuts, you were able to strengthen the narrative focus of this movie. And props to you for that.
I can't even wrap my head around how this film was made. It is so packed with visual activity. I had dismissed it originally because of the reviews, but this edit made me interested in checking it out. Thank you so much for your time and effort into making this. I loved this movie/edit. There are very few fan edits on here that capture that perfect narrative flow, and in my opinion those are the best ones. I don't know about everyone else, but yours is one of them in my books.
Wow. If I didn't know better, I would say this was a studio cut. Great narrative decisions and fantastic editing.
I already liked the original cut of this movie. but this edit is so much better. it improves the pacing and all the other changes are completely justified
As a fan of the franchise (and even the original cut of this film) this edit was amazing. My main complaint of having things dumbed down and over explained in the movie was fixed, which already made this edit an improvement, but then the additional editing used to speed up the pacing and give the movie more focus also helped the story's flow. The editing itself was also executed very well, with no noticeable cuts in audio or video. Overall everything that changed here was an improvement and was done perfectly. The only scene that I would've possibly kept is the "prostitute scene" because of what it adds to The Major's identity questions like in the 1995 film, but given that the scene is so short it doesn't make a huge difference to the film and would likely slow down the pacing, so I'm willing to give it up. Otherwise this was a great edit that pretty much improved the movie in every way it could've.