Ghost in the Shell 2017: Lean & Mean EditionFeatured
1) Enjoy the Silence by Ki:Theory
2) Utai IV_ Reawekening by Kenji Kaway
2) Early apparition of the villain was deleted to add suspense.
3) The scene with the geishas was shortened to eliminate Batou's silly lines.
4) Credits scene was rescored using Kenjy Kawai music. Also, now the title of the movie appears only once during the sequence.
5) Debriefing scene was edited and shortened.
6) Scene with the Major and Aramaki was deleted.
6) Scene with the Major and Oulet was heavily altered to eliminate silliness.
7) Scene with the Major, Batou and Dr. Dhalin was altered to eliminate, once again, silly lines (ex. "She's being hacked!").
8) Action scene in the nightclub was heavily edited so that the Major always appears in control of the situation.
9) Scene with the Major and Oulet was heavily edited to eliminate instances of lines of dialogues deemed too on the nose or that referenced the name "Mira".
10) Scene in which the Major meets a prostitute has been eliminated.
11) Fight scene in the pool of water has been shorted. Also, the chase sequence that comes before has been shortened too.
12) Interrogation scene briefly shortened to eliminate the suicide of the prisoner from the cut (needlessly edgy).
13) The Major's explanation of the villain's objective has been eliminated, to add suspense. Also, the villain himself explains what he's doing just a few minutes later.
14) Dialogue between the Major and Kuze lightly trimmed.
15) Flashback sequence added using scenes cut from the beginning of the movie. These too were altered to eliminate the name Mira.
16) Dialogue between Batou and the Major on the boat slightly edited to eliminate silly line ("You are a corporate man").
17) Dialogue between Oulet and CEO of Hanka heavily altered to eliminate, yet again, on the nose lines.
18) Subsequent scene involving drugged Motoko and Oulet heavily edited to add suspense. Now it truly seems like Oulet is killing the Major by injection of a fatal substance.
19) Cutter's (CEO of Hanka) line deleted.
20) Entire subplot involving Motoko's mother deleted. Last scene from the movie, in which the Major visits her own tomb, moved here.
21) Dialogue between Kuze and Motoko lightly trimmed.
22) Cutter's line shortened (eliminated the part where he says "You freak!").
23) Death of Cutter re-edited to, you guessed it, eliminate unwanted silliness ("I give my consent").
24) Last apparitions of Motoko's mother eliminated from the movie.
GITS : L&M
I was lucky enough to see this excellent edit because the editor kindly aided me.
I was not happy with the original film as a fan of the ..everything GITS.
The film missed all the right notes but I felt it had everything it needed to be a solid entry if it could find someone who could play music.
The friendly editor took all the issue I had with the source material and solved them as best they could with what they had.
The editing and as a result narrative was far tighter and accurate to the source material.
I found that if you liked the anime then you will probably like this edit.
Only at one point was I even aware it was an edit and in my memory this is the definitive version. #
If you did not like the junk they added about the Majors back story and all the other fluff then this is the edit for you.
Also I am not aware of any other edits so the fact that the edit we have is a good one is a big win for all!
If you hated the film the edit won't help you but if you wanted to love it but struggled then I would say this might help.
The edit was creative and functional and helped tell the story in a more cohesive and impactful manner.
The audio and visuals were excellent.
6 movie made into a 7.5
I was very impressed by this edit. The pacing was really good and it flowed very well. I enjoyed this far better than the theatrical cut. It felt more faithful to the source material than the original cut. The movie itself is gorgeous and I feel like less = more which was shown by your cut. The didn't hate the original cut, but I came away cold and it felt too dumbed down. I'm glad this was rectified with this cut.
As a big fan of the original anime movie, I was somewhat disappointed by the original live action Ghost in the Shell release, which I saw in theatres. The main criticisms I had were around the dumbing down of the material, significant changes to the overall visual style, lack of story coherence, and the score. Nerdwriter does a very insightful comparison of the visual elements here, which really resonated with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2soHxEN79c&feature=youtu.be
This edit does a fantastic job at fixing these issues, as much as possible in a fanedit, while also improving the pacing. I think removing some of the 'on the nose' explanations helps the viewer focus on exploring core cyberpunk elements themselves. Trimming sub plots to focus on the main story arc works really well, and gives more relative time to the core Major experiences.
Thoroughly recommend over the main theatrical cut.
As much as I enjoy the unfairly maligned 2017 film adaptation of the Ghost in the Shell manga, this leaner and tighter fan-edit outdoes it in my opinion. Every change made is 100% smart and justified, it really improves the pacing -- which is kind of amazing since the original cut is an already well-paced film -- and somehow even manages to better capture the spirit of the original source material. Really great stuff.
To be clear I have not yet delved into the gits franchise or watched the original live action film. In fact, I have only seen the animated film that started it all. I liked the themes of the animated film, and it's imagination for what it saw in our potential future.
When it comes to live adaptations, I am not one of those that likes them only and only if they are extremely resembling their original materials. I am more than happy if they are crisp, and have interesting things to say. Another thing I dislike is when they are westernized, especially if being adapted from eastern media. A good example of this is the death note adaptation in 2018. In westernizing media, it is made generic, and in my opinion loses what makes it unique.
Now that that is out of the way, when I saw the beginning of this film with the intro and all, I was like "Holy shit!!!" I found myself enjoying the themes portrayed, and the questions posed by the movie. I also, loved how to the point and concise your edit was. It was streamlined. There were some cuts that were noticeable, but they didn't break my flow of the film to a halt. I really do believe that based on the noticeable cuts, you were able to strengthen the narrative focus of this movie. And props to you for that.
I can't even wrap my head around how this film was made. It is so packed with visual activity. I had dismissed it originally because of the reviews, but this edit made me interested in checking it out. Thank you so much for your time and effort into making this. I loved this movie/edit. There are very few fan edits on here that capture that perfect narrative flow, and in my opinion those are the best ones. I don't know about everyone else, but yours is one of them in my books.