Fall of the Jedi: Episode II – Attack of the Clones
- NTSC DVD-5
- AVCHD (DVD-9)
- Blu-Ray (BD-25)
- cutlist subtitle track
I never felt that this was a mystery, nor that keeping the audience in the dark about it was needed. My rationale for this is that in my cut of Episode 3 we know Anakin and Padme are pregnant. By the end of the film we know that child is actually twins, but it’s never revealed that one is a boy and one is a girl. Their names are never given either. All we know at the end of the third film is that they need to be split up to be kept safe, and that Padme takes one while Obi-Wan the other. The idea, hopefully, is that most people will assume identical twins, not fraternal. This way the sibling mystery is preserved.
Also, in my cut of Episode 3, the last time we see Anakin is when Obi-Wan walks away from him as he burns alive. We never hear the name “Vader” in my cut, nor do we see Anakin being built into how we see him in the OT. With these changes I feel I’ve maintained the mystery I wanted to preserve. Knowing Luke is the son of Anakin doesn’t hurt the flow in my opinion. Knowing that Anakin is Vader in the OT does, as does knowing Luke and Leia are siblings.
Please remember my goal was to edit the PT in such a way that someone who has never seen any of the Star Wars films could watch them in order without having key moments in the OT spoiled by the PT. In this I feel I have succeeded.
- tweaked opening crawl
- flipped camera tilt to Coruscant
- cut “We’re making our final approach…”
- cut “We made it. I guess I was wrong.”
- cut shot of Padme and running to Corde
- cut Corde’s dying words
- cut “The Dark Side clouds everything.”
- cut “See you alive brings warm feelings to my heart.”
- trimmed Obi-Wan and Anakin’s re-introduction to Padme and dialog throughout
- cut Jar Jar and Anakin’s discussion
- cut assassin talking to Jango Fett
- cut Obi-Wan and Anakin’s “You’re using her as bait” discussion while Padme sleeps
- trimmed assassination attempt
- cut “Are you alright, m’lady?”
- trimmed Obi-Wan and Anakin’s chase for the assassin
- trimmed bar scene
- cut scene where Palpatine tells Anakin he will become more powerful than Yoda
- cut scene where Yoda, Windu and Obi-Wan discuss Anakin
- trimmed Padme’s packing scene
- cut Obi-Wan going to diner
- added deleted scene where Obi-Wan has dart tested
- cut Obi-Wan visiting Yoda and the younglings about the missing planet
- added scene where Obi-Wan tells Windu about the missing planet, and his concerns of Anakin
- trimmed Anakin and Padme scene traveling on the ship as refugees
- cut Padme’s visit to the Queen of Naboo
- cut scene of Anakin and Padme standing on the balcony looking over the lake
- added scene of Anakin and Padme having dinner with her family
- trimmed scene of Anakin and Padme’s picnic
- cut Anakin and Padme’s fireplace scene
- cut Windu and Yoda’s discussion about diminished Jedi powers
- cut Anakin’s dream
- cut “I’m sorry. I don’t have a choice.”
- cut R2 from visit to Watto
- cut chase through the planet rings
- cut C-3PO calling Anakin “the maker”
- cut Techo Union Army’s translator glitch
- trimmed Anakin rescuing his mother
- cut Yoda sensing Skywalker’s pain
- trimmed Obi-Wan’s transmission to Anakin
- trimmed Anakin’s confession to Padme
- cut Anakin grabbing a handful of dirt at his mother’s funeral
- cut C-3PO going with Anakin and Padme
- cut “If only Senator Amidala were here.”
- cut droid factory scene
- added Padme trying to negotiate with Dooku
- trimmed Padme’s confession to Anakin that she loves him
- trimmed execution scene
- trimmed clones attack
- cut Yoda and Dooku fight
- cut Dooku meeting up with Palpatine
The main issues with Attack of the Clones to me was its bad dialogue and slowish tempo. CGI is quite a bit outdated as well. However I like the movie and prequals altogether. That being said Q2 has edited the movie into faster phase, made the dialogue and with it the relationship of Anakin and Padme more convincing and less cheesy.
There were a few big scenes the faneditor cut like Obi Wan chasing Jango Fett and also Yoda VS Count Dooku battle. Now these are the biggest issues to me with this fanedit as I liked them both, even the lightsaber duel of Yoda VS Count Dooku. To compensate the loss Q2 has also cut a lot of bad scenes.
Audio quality was great and video quality was quite good as well, although the image felt a bit too light(?) and mushy.. but only a bit. Compared to what? Well, for example to The Approaching Storm fanedit or original Blu-Ray. Video and audio editing were done very well technically.
Overall this fanedit was pretty good, although not as good Q2's Phantom Menace fanedit in my opinion. It accomplished its original goal nicely.
Just watched this fanedit, and again it blew my mind Like the one for Episode 1.
All the goofy humor is gone, the videogame level (droid factory) is gone, and all of a sudden, the romance doesnt seem forced anymore.
Not that we can really feel the love story, but we can actually believe it now.
Like Fall of the Jedi I, this version builds upon a movie i can purely enjoy for shallow entertainment and makes a movie that i can enjoy at a level that recognizes it as a real Star Wars movie.
Just like Episode 1, i dont see any technical flaws here. Quality is of the absolute highest standard, and at no point is there any sign that this version is "just" a fanedit.
One minor continuity error is that Kenobi's ship is visibly damaged after the missing asteroid belt sequence. But i refuse to take a point off for this, since editing is still of the highest quality.
Many thanks and so much respect for his work to Q2.
There isn't much here to say that I didn't say in my review of Fall of the Jedi I. Everything I said there holds true for this movie as well. All the nonsense is gone and what we have now is a reasonably good film. Rated the narrative down just a bit, but that probably just because the theatrical version is even less salvageable than either I or III.
Ok, before people get mad at me for not recommending this edit, I want you all to know that I hate attack of the clones with a passion, to me it is the worst disgrace to star wars out there in canon, that is saying a lot because I like you also hate Jar Jar, the fact that this movie is shit is not the editor's fault, it's George's. The editor does not have the ability to improve cringe-worthy special effects without cutting a whole scene, the editor does not have the ability to add dialogue or heavily modify it. The editor has to work with what he's got and this is it.
Now that that's out of the way I must say the visual and audio editing is flawless, I never saw or heard of anything that was bad and I never was taken out of the "experience" by editing flaws, long story short, flawless.
The narrative is as good as it's going to get with AOTC, the mystery behind the clones is actually intriguing and infinitely better than the original. Most of the cuts were completely logical and worked, this series does bug me partially though because of the removal of R2 and 3PO which sort of makes sense BUT that's what is special about this trilogy, if you hate that idea then just don't watch it. The only thing that should have been cut as well was the arena scene. I know it would be hard to pull off but just don't have the monsters fully attacking yet when the clones and Jedi show up and then shorten the whole thing down. Anyway, you did fine based on the source material (I also liked the incorporated deleted scenes)
So overall, it's an improvement BUT in my opinion, episode 2 is a lost cause anyway.
While some believe Attack of the Clones to be even worse than Phantom Menace for me it was a slight improvement. that being said it was still a bad film but that's were faneditors come to the rescue. Part 2 of Q2 stars wars edit removes a lot of what was bad from the film giving us a more enjoyable experience overall. i really liked have artoo and C3-PO were cut from the final act of the film, however i do feel it's a shame that so much of them has been cut in this trilogy as for me the prequels showcased their journey throughout all these events.
i felt the first edit was to short and overall felt a little choppy, this edit with it's 90min runtime (not including credits) feels a lot better and doesn't feel like it's in a rush to get to the end. it's a shame so much has to be removed in order to deliver a more watch-able star wars film.
i do wish anakins confession to padame regarding the slaughter of the sand people could be removed as i find it a little out of character for her to marry a mass murder. the end fight didn't work for me either, having dooku seemingly run away because padame and a few clone troopers arrive makes him look weak plus he has the two jedi were he wants them.
as with the first episode Q2 take on the trilogy is a more pleasing experience and one that i will re-watch when the time comes