Review Detail

9.7 15 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I've watched David Lynch's 'Dune' more times than I can remember since I was a kid, in various different versions and transfer qualities (sadly never at the cinema... yet). This time it was Spicediver's 'Alternative Edition' fanedit (which I've seen before) included on the big 6-disc German UHD/blu-ray boxset, in mostly lovely 1080p (due to some rare deleted sequences varying in resolution). In my opinion (not widely held), Lynch's 'Dune' is near perfect already, so it doesn't need changing but I'm happy to have more of the thing I love. e.g one of my favourite moments in all of cinema is "...also known as Dune... DUUH DUUH DA DAAAAH!!!" so having that changed, however beautifully edited and audio mixed by Spicediver, isn't what I'm ideally looking for in a fanedit. Lines are removed, music is changed, scenes are reordered to flow differently with new ones etc. 15MaF's 2.5-hour, all-HD, mostly just extended 'Deluxe Edition' fanedit is more my speed, it's the TV cut stuff but polished to the Lynch high standard. However, moments like Thufir's death are beautifully integrated here by Spicediver, even if the source video quality is very poor. Thankfully all of these different cuts can co-exist on my hardrive together (and now in my blu-ray collection), so the 'Alternative Edition' is great for the times when I want a different and more fulsome take on the material available.

There is a black frame at 38.29 (on the mkv time stamp, or thereabouts on the blu-ray), soon after the line "Mother tell me", so I've knocked a point off Visual Editing for that. Otherwise the editing is fantastic. Another point off for Enjoyment, for reasons I already explained above and a point off Video Quality to reflect the lower res material that is occasionally dropped in (although it's presented as best it could be).

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Blu-Ray
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments