Review Detail

9.2 16 10
FanMix August 20, 2012 5759
Overall rating

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a slightly-modified version of the review by which I approved this edit.

It has been a pleasure to watch and review ssj's unusual edit of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Video: The video quality of the SD MP4 is acceptable, given the file-size.

Audio: The quality of the stereo audio was fine. There was one slightly rough transition, but overall the sound was good.

Editing: While the actual editing was minimal – the changes are largely a result of the completely-rewritten subtitles – the cuts that there were made were done well. An inherent problem with comedy edits is the fact that they can seem to run out of steam if they go on too long, so I was pleased with the ninety-minute running time, which is about right. Nonetheless, I did feel that some of the fight scenes, especially those near the end, might have been shortened, because in my opinion they did not add much to the new storyline and felt a little too much like watching the original again, so it would have been nice to see a little more ambitious editing here.

Presentation: There is basic cover and disc art, created by the faneditor. Well done!
Extras: An amusing featurette and trailer are included in the download.
Entertainment: A new wacky plot is implemented competently, driven by clear, well-written subtitles that obviously took a great deal of work. The subtitles range being from absolutely hilarious to slightly crass, but never fail to entertain. A notable achievement of the edit is that the editor managed to sustain his creative rewriting of the subtitles throughout several long scenes with extended dialogue, and avoided the temptation to make numerous cuts. This stops the edit from feeling choppy in the way that other comedy edits often do.

Overall: 8 out of 10

This very promising firstling comes highly recommended.
C
Top 500 Reviewer 33 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments