cptmarvellove_front
FanFix October 21, 2021 4347
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I’ll be honest in saying I never had a problem with how Carol Danvers was portrayed in Captain Marvel until recently. A few days ago, I saw a video by youtuber Abbie Emmons titled “How to write a Strong Female Character…who isn’t toxic & annoying,” comparing Carol’s journey in her movie to Black Widow’s journey in Avengers 2012. I don’t want to give too much away about the video, but needless to say, most if not all of Abbie’s complaints about Carol were addressed in this fanedit.

Thanks to some deleted scenes early on, Carol/Vers starts on more solid ground with a clearer purpose in wanting to serve the Kree, only to be challenged by Talos in how she doesn’t know as much about the Kree-Skrull war as she thinks. Thanks to some clever use of flashbacks, ot feels like Vers is taking more steps into unlocking her past, & the toning down her more guarded reactions & replacing them with her being more open makes her feel more vulnerable & approachable. I’m also shocked the scene between Yon-Ragg and the Supreme Intelligence was cut, since it makes both of them feel far less one note than they were in the original.

There were only two changes I didn’t agree with. The first is when Carol & her earth friends are on the ship into space & we get a flashback reminder of Carol & Maria’s relationship. I feel it goes too fast & would benefit from being slowed down a little, especially when you think Maria’s turning to look at Carol, but is instead looking at Talos in the back. The second bit is at the beginning when Carol’s on the Skrull ship and barks at the Skrull in frustration. I know tremault said it was stupid, but for be it plays into the idea of Carol showing her vulnerable frustrated side, which I found endearing.

In the end, this is my go to version of the movie, up their with some of the best from Phase 1 of the MCU!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply June 12, 2022

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate the opposing view concerning the scream, and the bit in the quadjet was certainly a tricky edit to get right, that is a fair observation.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments