Review Detail

9.7 24 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I absolutely loved the TASM1 version of the untold edits and it is now my definitive version of the movie so I was really excited to see this. And it mostly delivered. it's honestly really good.

Moving the parent stuff to the first movie gives this a lot of time to breathe and just streamlines it quite a bit. I like how Electro's anger is more directed towards the city and I like quite a lot of stuff here, especially the little motivation tweaks. I love thay they went to the effort of adding in custom dialogue. That was really cool and it mostly sounded pretty decent.

Which is why I wonder why they left in that line towards the end where Goblin says "when you said Spider-Man said no" because like, that didn't happen, I just wondered why they didn't cut it or just like dub it with another line, it would only be cutting the words "you said" from the dialogue because "when Spider-Man said no, you mean you said no" still makes sense. But otherwise, it's all great until the end although I would've liked to see the demonstration of the suit from the deleted scenes, it would have barely added 30 seconds and I think it makes us understand the suit better at the end although it's fine if they think it's unnecessary because the suit says stuff like "healing protocol activated" which is enough to get a clue what it does. That's personal preference.

But I think that one of the unintended consequences of cutting the setup after the fall towards the end is that everything feels *super rushed* like the fall happens at 1:47 and the movie is over by 1:55 so you barely even get time to properly process anything before the movie has moved on and is already over. This is a better movie than the theatrical cut by a long shot, I just think the ending needed something more to slow it down a little because it just moves too fast. I honestly don't know what they could possibly put in there but it was just a little rushed. Despite that, this is still by far the best version of this movie and I'm glad it exists.

There were also a few odd cuts like when Peter meets Gwen at Oxford there's a weird jump cut that threw me off. There's a few others too but definitely nothing too major. I do like that the "Peter's DNA made him Spider-Man" stuff was cut out but that also sort of makes Peter's reluctance to give Harry his blood a little weird like he's obviously just being cautious and this edit does play it off like that but that's just a me thing, probably. It works well for the most part and aside from a (mostly forced to be because of a lack of content) rushed ending, this is easily the best version of this movie.

The way this structures the third act is also really enjoyable and it's just a fun time and much more cohesive than the theatrical cut.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments