Review Detail

9.7 24 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I was skeptical of this edit after seeing the TASM1 Untold Story Edition. Cause I felt without that story this movie might feel empty while the first felt like a wholly standalone story. I've always been under the impression that the parents storyline should've been a trilogy-long plot, only concluding in the third film, with the second film being more development between the beginning and end. What we got in the TC was it not only weirdly not continuing the set-ups of the plot in TASM1 and instead reintroducing a completely different view of the plot, but rushing through and finishing it all here. So when I saw it all being wrapped up in the first film, despite it being better done there due to not cutting off the plot in the way the theatrical films do, I was afraid it would make TASM1 feel too much like a film that can't be the start of a saga but only a standalone story, and make TASM2 feel both hollow and superfluous.

I was wrong. In fact, making TASM1 an epic standalone tale actually makes this second film being made shorter make more sense. It's the thin meat between two buns (Only we never got TASM3 so. that's still missing), rather than being the epic next step. The parents plotline does still influence the plot here, only with Peter knowing everything it now makes more sense why he distrusts Harry and refuses to give him his blood. It's a shorter middle step in a larger story, with an imaginary third film following this one being, in my mind, longer and more epic and tying in the drama of this film with the origins of TASM1's story. Maybe Norman Osborn faked his death and was using Harry's despiration to get to Spider-Man, leading to Peter finally confronting the man who caused his parents' death. Idk, I might write a fan-script version of TASM3 that follows these edits.

Now that my main concern is fixed, everything great about Untold Story applies here as well. Excellent editing, wonderful pacing, this feels like the drama Mark Webb would've wanted to make. I can also now definitively call Untold Story the best version of TASM1, contrary to my original opinion. Both Untold Editions in tandem are now the way to see these films if you ask me.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
December 20, 2021
I'd love to give your fan script of TASM3 a read as soon as you get to it. It'll serve as the missing 'second bun' for the proverbial sandwich that would have been The Amazing Spider-Man trilogy. :)
M
motleycat-enterprises-inc
1 results - showing 1 - 1