FanFix April 15, 2022 1091
(Updated: November 02, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I'm not really a fan of New Nightmare, but one of the biggest problems it has is pacing and Ray has done a great job of tightening things up. I didn't notice any cuts or edits and everything looks as good as one can expect from the source.

The original narrative is very flawed IMO - Robert Englund's character seems to be shoved aside despite some foreshadowing to the contrary, and the whole posession-theme with the child is badly done. It also doesn't really make sense why certain events (and a death) are able to occur while people are awake. That being said, while Ray's edit doesn't fix these things, he certainly doesn't create any new errors - the biggest criticism I could give is that there's maybe still a bit of redundancy and we don't need to have quite as much build up as we do. By and large though, I think his goals are met and it's a very solid edit that I would recommend to anyone who just wants to experience a tighter version of the film.

A side note: I have a surround system, and normally it does give me the option to "upmix" stereo audio to surround. I don't seem to get that option with Ray's new edits though, even though one of the changes were made to this end. The issue could be on my end, but thought it was worth mentioning.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
T
Top 50 Reviewer 103 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments