watchmanbass_front
TV-to-Movie November 22, 2023 721
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

A streamlined narrative for Angela that is largely successful.

The story here is grounded, and primarily focused on Angela and Will, with Judd providing the narrative spark that starts the presentation on strong footing (as with the series). The otherworldly elements are excised, with just the barest sense that things might be quite different from our reality. A throwaway reference to "trans-dimensional attacks" was appreciated.

The editor included all of episode six, which I think was a bold but smart move. It's a standout episode in a standout series, and here it acts as the defining third-act moment that connects Angela to Will in a satisfying way.

It's hard to decide whether to recommend this...Watchmen (2019) is one of the best things I've ever seen, and there's a ton of amazing material that isn't represented in this cut. If you haven't seen the series, I do not recommend starting here as it will spoil some things when you inevitably see the series. If you've seen the series, then I recommend this if you just want to move to episode six sooner, and stay focused on Will/Angela. Perhaps the editor would be interested in creating a companion version that centers on Adrian Veight and Doctor Manhattan but still includes some connective tissue to this one...

A/V QUALITY

Perfect.

AUDIO EDITING

There were two cross fades where I was able to hear sound from a preceding scene that was cut (it was obvious in one and subtle in the other), and while there was no musical discontinuity in the song, some creative clipping in Ball of Confusion nonetheless betrayed a cut (folks less familiar with the song may not notice).

VISUAL EDITING

There was at least one transition that felt more like a TV break between one episode and the next. It didn't quite feel like a seamless movie experience all the time.

NARRATIVE

For the most part, a complete story is told in this cut and the cliffhanger at the end can be excused as an "Angela will return" moment, but the scene juggling isn't fully successful, in my opinion. There are some noticeable continuity issues (clothing, hair, demeanor), and some elements that aren't explained (eg. why are the kids at the theatre, what does Will mean when he says he hopes his motel is "still there"?).

ENJOYMENT

The material is fantastic and hard not to enjoy in isolation to the other elements. 9/10 = same enjoyment for me

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments