tincupgolfers_front
FanFix November 14, 2020 2354
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

TLDR: Fantastic edit that I didn't know I needed!

As part of Wakeupkeo's Bad Movies Made Less Bad, I'm not sure this movie actually fits into that category. I liked the theatrical cut quite a bit and didn't think it was bad by any means. That said, this edit is so much better.

Technically, as other reviews have already pointed out, there are a couple/few hiccups. Nothing drastic for the most part but the ending just doesn't quite work. I get the idea and it seems good on paper, but it just doesn't flow well. I don't know if it would actually work but what about... Keep the "going back to Texas" after the tournament but cut the Romeo/Doreen tango. The couch scene dialogue naturally takes us into next year's tournament as we pause on Roy's face saying "nah". Cut to black with ZZ Top song starting and fade up to sweeping tournament scenes. The announcer introducing the tournament (probably pull from TV broadcast). Cut to Roy on the golf course (something like 126:53 of your cut). You could then add the tango scene back in as a credits extra. Of course this all sounds great in my head, but not sure how well that would cut together.

So back to the movie... The story telling and pacing is so much better IMO. It really is a case of less is more. While the theatrical version spoon feeds us the romance, which we already know is there and ultimately distracting from feeling Roy's journey. The focus of this edit is where it should be and because of that, it feels so much more powerful. I had a much, much bigger reaction to Roy making that shot in this edit and ultimately that is the whole point of golf and this story. You don't remember all your games whether good or bad, you don't remember how you've grown as an athlete or person, but you sure as hell will always tell the story of when you made that one incredible shot.

This is another solid fanedit by Wakeupkeo. I personally hope he gives it one more go to smooth out a few things and rework the ending. Thanks as always for sharing your hard work Keo!

Ps. The black and white version is a subtle triumph that is not immediately obvious. Sure the movie is beautiful in color, but taking that color away makes you focus even more on the story. It brings a timelessness aspect to it that I really appreciate.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments