thorlovethundercomedy_front
FanFix December 03, 2022 3887
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Better than the theatrical cut, but a too steep overcorrection, especially in narrative flow. Removing almost all of Jane's story and changing Zeus' role just feels out of place and the removal of the ending makes it less emotional. While I appreciate the more abrasive humor being cut, I didn't necessarily think every single joke in the movie should be cut either. The intent in the description was to mimic Ragnarok, but it ends up feeling like a slightly better version of Thor 2. Like Thor's obsession with a team is taken directly from Ragnarok, it's a continuing gag that's established in character for Thor (It also makes sense as being due to his loss of the Warriors Three, his original team). Cutting it feels out-of-place. There's a lot of things like that where it feels like Thor is being reduced to his Thor 1/2 personality, rather than his Ragnarok personality. Again, it feels like an overcorrection, like this edit would be great for people who hated Thor in Ragnarok already (There is a contingent who feels Ragnarok was too goofy), but not for those of us who loved Ragnarok. Like is someone loved Thor 2, they'll love Thor in this edit. This is a better Dark World than Dark World.

31 minutes were cut in this edit, and I feel like it needed only about half of that removed. The film has no time to breathe anymore, and the TC already had a rushed pace as it was. Maybe there is no way to really fix Thor 4 without access to Watiti's 4 hour assembly to workshop some decent version from. Though from what he's said, that assembly was just 2 extra hours of more goofiness so maybe not. Maybe the film was doomed from the beginning. A misguided film made by a good filmmaker. It happens sometimes even to the best directors, and maybe it's time I just moved on from obsessing over what this film could've been anyways. I'll accept this is probably the best that could be done with it.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
November 26, 2023
When you take points off for A/V Quality, it indicates something wrong with the encoding, or that the source material is of poor quality. When you take points off on the Editing, it indicates that edits were made without proficiency, that they were jarring and poorly executed.
Your comments only indicate that you disapproved of some of the narrative choices, and wanted more scenes included. As it is now, your review seems intended to tank the scores on the edit solely for that reason: that you would make different choices. I would consider adding additional details about what exactly was of poor quality, or adjusting your scores to reflect that you simply did not Enjoy the edit.
M
mnkykungfu
1 results - showing 1 - 1