Thing, The: The Toon-Thing Edit
- Music from The Thing (1982) added to title sequence along with additional sound effects of saucer crash from The Thing (1982) added.
- The Thing (2011) title burn in added and repositioned to match saucer’s place of entry with ’82 sound effect.
- Norwegian’s crashing through the ice from theatrical release cut.
- Ennio Morricone music added to lab scene along with additional sound effects.
- Title card added for ‘time and place’.
- Deleted scene of Sander and Edvard colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added.
- Some frames from following scene cut to help the musical transition.
- Deleted scene of Kate and Carter colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added.
- Exterior shot added, created from later external shot, but panned to avoid tell-tale flames coming from later in the film.
- After helicopter crash, exterior scene cut.
- Deleted scene of Colin attempting to radio for help colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added.
- Exterior shot that was cut earlier added but with new sound of radio static and wind howl.
- Deleted scene of Karl’s fate colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added. Some frames from following scene cut to help the transition.
- Sound effect of Karl-Thing’s shriek enhanced with sound from The Thing (1982).
- Following scene panned to avoid inconsistancy involving Karl’s unburnt corpse from the theatrical release.
- Extended scene of Split-face’s attack on Carter colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added.
- Original ending cut.
- Deleted scene of Norwegian helicopter returning and chasing down the Dog-Thing colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added.
- Title sequence rebuilt and credits for The Toon-Thing and Ennio Morricone added.
- Ennio Morricone theme added to end credits.
April 18, 2012 @ 1:32 am
An excellent first edit by Toonlon/Toon-Thing. This edit doesn't attempt to completely rewrite The Thing (2011), but I was kinda hoping it would. The technical aspects of the edit were great. There was only 1 fade I recall being a little off, but everything else was great.
A/V Quality - 9
Visual Editing - 9
Audio Editing - 10
Narrative - 6 (original is a 5)
Enjoyment - 7 (original is a 5)
April 3, 2012 @ 4:11 pm
I felt the new intro brought a great classic feel to the film and started the edit off very well. However I felt there were many places that had alot of dead weight/un needed humor that could have been taken out or shortened up for pacing. But all and all I found the addition of the deleted scenes to be near flawless. Very good job on this aspect.
Image Quality: 7
There is a issue with any dark colors, black of course being the worst. It gets blocky and slightly distorted, normally this isnt an issue. But this movie is very dark so it can be very distracting at times.
audio quality: 10
No issues here, sound was very clean and crisp even during deleted scenes.
difference to the original
As an extended edit I would say this is a great add on to the movie. But as a true fan edit I find it lacking. As good as the edit is, I find not much has changed. Yes you added around 7 extra scenes and trimmed like 4 min off the start of the movie. Now that the negative is out of the way. I have to say I enjoyed the pacing and theme change that the edit had by the rescore you did. It felt more like the old movies. So all and all i do find this to be a true fan edit
The edit did a good job of enhancing a failed reboot. However you did make the movie more enjoyable overall. So good work to you sir.
Final Score: 8