Review Detail

8.7 4 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Very well done, for the most part this is probably as close to book-accurate as any edit of the film could be without implementing special effects to remove the (already mentioned) glowing swords. It does lead me to wonder if this particular added plot point would be worth keeping if only for the sake of filling in what could feel like a plot hole to the uninitiated, though this would bring the story back to the "hunt for a MacGuffin" type plot and could feel tired.

The removal of the green mist was pretty much flawless, if there is going to be an active malevolent element in the story that drives the characters less admirable actions I think that it helps that it remain more subtle. As mentioned below though, this is not in the book so it does make one wonder exactly how such a force is vanquished at the end, does it take the form of a sea serpent and vanish when said creature is killed?

The addition of the deleted scenes (with no uncompleted effects shots) was nice, adding a little more depth to a simple story and not standing out too badly despite effectively having been cropped to 1.78:1 from a 2.35:1 source that itself was a crop of a 1.78:1 master. Visual editing was very good technically, but (again as already mentioned) the short scene where a man asks to join the crew on the first island feels like it could have been dispensed with.

The replacement music over the end credits worked well too though I don't think the original was that bad, both the previous films ended with songs not dissimilar to this. I think too that all the diegetic dialogue in the last scene (Aunt Alberta) could have been removed instead of just the reference to Jill Pole, as the editor did in their "Prince Caspian" edit.

I'm not completely sure if it quite works as a total replacement of the original but it certainly fulfills it's brief and makes for a less-dragging chronicle, thanks SoboFilms!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
P
Top 50 Reviewer 83 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments