FanFix February 04, 2024 1055
(Updated: March 14, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is an excellent attempt at editing these films by PanteraSteel. Generally when I watch the official Blu Rays I watch both films over the course of two days, but watching this digitally provides a seamless transition between both films and as such there is motivation to watch as one giant epic. As PanteraSteel says, the changes to the official releases are generally understated, and the vast majority of the films remain intact while providing more seriousness and very intelligent pacing - it isnt a reinvention of the films, it's more tweaked in terms of pacing and tone as well as an attempt at creating one giant movie. I was able to watch all 4 hours 7 minutes in virtually one sitting, save for making a sandwich about 75 minutes in. At no point did I feel like the film was dragging or I was lacking the stamina, which could be the case if I watched the two Donner releases back-to-back. The film is a smoother watch all around since the two official releases total about 4 hours 19 mins.

If I had to make one or two criticisms, it wouldn't be with the quality of the narrative or the scene editing, but more with the audio and visual quality. I watched this via streaming through Plex and a good wi-fi connection on a 50 inch 4k Samsung TV - at some points the film looks and sounds stunning, but at others it looks like a product of its time rather than looking and sounding as if it was filmed yesterday ( as the Blu Rays tend to). However, this makes complete sense since the Blu ray files of both official movies are much larger than the approximately 5.5 gb file of the epic that I watched, I'm not sure if there is a higher quality/larger file size edit of the epic that PanteraSteel has made, but I am really being pedantic here - I do love how 4k and blu ray discs look and sound, but more important to me is the quality of the film and this edit delivers that with aplomb.

Overall I greatly enjoyed watching this, and even the inconsistencies in the audio and video quality did not scupper my entertainment. A brilliant addition and PanteraSteel should be proud of it.

Highly recommended.

Edit: good idea to omit both Lester's kiss and Donner's dull repetition of Superman going back in time. I suppose you can argue it makes less sense then why Lois still can't remember who he is (unless I have missed something in the edit) but overall I think your ending is far stronger than either Lester's or Donner's (after a discussion PanteraSteel clarified a few things about his ending and it makes a lot of sense as he has explained it).

Edit 2: much thanks to PanteraSteel for making public what the issue was with (the TV cut). That makes complete sense and is clearly out of your control. To reiterate, it's a brilliant edit that everyone who loves the character should watch,

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply March 10, 2024

"If I had to make one or two criticisms, it wouldn't be with the quality of the narrative or the scene editing, but more with the audio and visual quality. Overall I greatly enjoyed watching this, and even the inconsistencies in the audio and video quality did not scupper my entertainment. A brilliant addition and PanteraSteel should be proud of it."

That's a fair criticism. The final decision I made with this edit was to remove a couple of scenes I had taken from the 3-hour tv cut of Superman 78 because that blu ray has significantly inferior audio than the directors cut blu ray. I almost removed EVERYTHING I took from the 3 hour cut to keep the audio/video perfect and consistent but in the end there were a few scenes I really wanted in the movie. I haven't noticed any inconsistencies outside of when we are watching scenes taken from the 3 hour tv cut of Superman 1978. To my knowledge the only way to fix that is to not use scenes from the 3 hour tv cut at all.

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for taking the time to write an honest review. I appreciate it.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments