TV-to-Movie June 29, 2023 5104
(Updated: September 23, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is the best Kenobi out there, in my opinion.

As bored-at-300am said in an earlier review, the source really is two plus hours of content stretched to an unreasonable six. Unfortunately, even trimmed to 2:20, it doesn't quite feel like a movie. Some of this may be due to Deborah Chow's direction. She has a lot of experience with TV, but none(?) with a feature length story. It's possible they may have opted for a different director had they stayed with the original concept, but I also suspect Chow would have handled some of it differently with a shorter runtime.

Spence has edited this with a seasoned and deft hand, and at 2:20 it really doesn't feel like anything is missing. However, it still feels like a low budget picture filmed almost exclusively in The Volume, and with less production value than The Mandalorian or The Book of Boba Fett. The decision to fill the volume with over-dark browns and greys for most of the runtime...One wonders what they were thinking. A shaky camera can only hide so much.

A/V QUALITY

Essentially perfect, and I watched the smallest file.

VISUAL EDITING

I really want to give this top marks, but there's a moment at 17:16 where we can see a character begin to speak before the wipe and it brought me out of the experience a little bit.

AUDIO EDITING

Strong editing here, and the new music is welcome. I noted a couple very tiny things in my notes.

NARRATIVE

The core story is very much intact, and is only improved by what was removed.

ENJOYMENT

Where the original would be a 6/10, I feel this would be a strong 8.5/10, so I'll round up. :)

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments