picardwatcher0_front
TV-to-Movie September 02, 2023 766
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I must preface this review by being transparent on my feelings towards PICARD SEASON TWO.
For me, it is the worst written single season of Star Trek. EVER.
And I hate feeling that way.

So when Asterixsmeagol announced their fan edit, I grew secretly hopeful that he could redeem this story arc for me.

And did he? Yes and No.

The most atrocious or ill conceived elements are thankfully gone. No repressed childhood trauma for Picard. Seriously, how did he ever pass his Starfleet psych evaluation? Rios's character is saved, He no longer comes across as shallow and self absorbed. And both Young Guinan and Not-Soji are completely removed and the story does not miss a single beat.

But with all those story point no longer to distract the audience, the thinness and weakness of the narrative structure becomes even more apparent. But the editor does a solid job given what they have to work with and I must commend them at moving the story a solid, engaging pace. And one of the great strengths of this weeded out fan edit, the plot line of how the timeline was changed plays cleaner and clearer.

Unfortunately, in removing some of the more awful subplots, certain scenes now flow awkwardly or transition poorly. Such as the removal of Jurati singing or Dr. Ramirez using the healing device. Also, the final scene with an out of nowhere cameo, did not work for me in the new story context. I can't help but wonder if it should have ended on the dramatic "Guardians of the Gate" moment?

Audio-wise, it is overall good. I did noticed a couple audio dips and there were some scenes I think that could have benefited from the removal of the dramatic moment/commercial music cue. I think there are three such cues in less than 2 minutes during the first Picard/Q scene.

There are also video frame tech issues which I know the editor endeavored hard to correct but regrettably continue to persist. At multiple points in the edit there are brief frame rate issues (almost like a bad slo-mo stutter) and I noticed 3 flash frames. For a 3 hour movie with a less than 4G file size, the video quality is good.

Considering how bad imo the source material is, I think Asterixsmeagol has done a remarkable job and has culled as about as good as a narrative that is possible. If season two of Picard disappointed you, this might be the version you are looking for.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments